PDA

View Full Version : sump design for continuous feeding....

vicbay
02-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Trying to design a sump to remove micro bubbles from main tank(aka bubble traps) so I can get rid of filter sock I use now and allow food to recirculate.

I'd like to employ continuous feeding but with the filter sock it's pointless.
If I remove the sock. micro bubbles in the display and large amounts of debris from scrapping algae off the glass every other day.
If I put a sediment trap in the sump for the large amounts of floating debris. that's a no-no for continuous feeding.

So what's a good design for a continuous feeding bubble free sump on a reef ready 75 gallon tank with one inch deep sand bed in the main tank?

Is the algae I'm scrapping off the glass every other day due to lack of maturity of my scrubber or lack of size/strength?? Or is it normal and just needs to find it's balance?

Thanks for any advice or ideas.

bucks448
02-17-2011, 05:34 AM
To get rid of the micro bubbles do a search for "herbie overflow". The design needs two overflows, one is used to create a full siphon which allows no air, so no bubbles, the other is used as a backup in case the full siphon overflow gets blocked.

vicbay
02-17-2011, 04:59 PM
To get rid of the micro bubbles do a search for "herbie overflow". The design needs two overflows, one is used to create a full siphon which allows no air, so no bubbles, the other is used as a backup in case the full siphon overflow gets blocked.

Seen those. Actually thought about trying one I seen that used just the one drilled hole in the tank for overflow. But not sure it will work for mine. His was 1.5 mine is only 1.25. Might have to go for the over the back return and use both drilled holes for the herbie.

That would at least kill the bubble problem i have. but still would have to make it smaller later cause it has sediment gathering in it. And that's bad for continuous feeding I believe.

But no biggy. I'm just using a 93 quart container I got from wally world on clearance lol

MorganAtlanta
02-25-2011, 07:29 AM
If you run the scrubber off the drain instead of off a separate pump the bubbles won't get to your sump

SantaMonica
03-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Yes the algae on your glass is from a less-than-powerful scrubber.

As for bubble removers:

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/UnderOverUnder.jpg