PDA

View Full Version : Double screen SM 100

vira
04-26-2011, 02:52 AM
Dear Santa,
With the building plan of SM 100 generously given,I’ve decided to construct a test model with thinner acrylic sheet just to save cost. It has turned out to work marvelously. At week 2, I’ve harvested a fair amount of green hair algae. When referring to your saying, “It’s better to have 2 small Ats than having a big one”, I then decided to build a double screen ATS. It’s the SM 100 expanded by 5 cm.( plus another screen slot) to accommodate a middle chamber carrying 3 T5 of 14 w/ea. Here are picts that show the chamber, with lights, top view of the expanded ATS and the installation

vira
04-26-2011, 02:57 AM
more

SantaMonica
04-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Nice to see it starting out quickly.

itzrulez
04-26-2011, 08:02 PM
what would be the price to import to Brazil?
if necessary, PM !

vira
04-27-2011, 04:15 AM
what would be the price to import to Brazil?
if necessary, PM !
Sorry Guy. I built it for my personnel use only,because I copied from the SM 100 plan and just expanded the original to have the second screen with another set of lights. I drafted a complete plan and sent to a shop for acrylic and laser cut and assembled the pre-cut parts myself. It did not cost much in my country, Acrylic and labour were about US$ 150. Lighting altogether cost about the same. Willing to giving you advices if needed.

Floyd R Turbo
04-27-2011, 06:26 AM
It looks like you light this only from the inside, correct? Just so you're not surprised down the road, you will actually get less scrubbing power from this than you would if you just put 2 lights on one side and one on the other of a single screen and put reflectors on the lamps. You're basically splitting the lamp in half, the light from one side of the lamp goes to one screen, and the other side to the other screen, and the light that shines back to the fixture or up to the fixture above is wasted. Probably still equivalent to or possibly better than a reflected CFL. But still, you cannot increase scrubbing power by adding screen area and not adding lamp wattage.

Also, are those T5HO or standard T5? 14W would be standard T5 if those are 24". You want 24W. Right now your scrubber is good for 14 x 3 = 42 gallons. If you used HO lamps, then 75. If you put 2 more T5HOs on the outside of each window and put reflectors on them, then you would have about 175.

Very nice looking box, I bet the laser cutting was highly accurate and made assembly easy.

vira
04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Thanks for remarks. The design needs the lights at the middle to shine on both screens. At present state,as screens are clear from algae, I see that the inside is so bright cause those lights reflect between them, together with the left/right reflectors,and because of the intended wide-open windows.The brightness will probably be less as the screens mature. I'll wait and see for about 2 weeks. If needed, I'll try to increase the wattage of the middle lights.

vira
04-28-2011, 01:17 AM
As there were some requests for the Double Screen SM 100 plan, I have to mention again that it’s just the extension of the SM 100 with minor mod. It has not been professionally drafted but it’s up to scale for future use. Here it is;
Remark: the overall height of an AST is determined by the width of the side lamps.

vira
05-09-2011, 07:52 PM
This is one of the screens at 2nd harvest.I consider the operation successful and going to live with it for as long as I have my display tank. I'm now free of skimmer,No3 and Po4 removers for forever. Thank you again SM.

SantaMonica
05-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Great to hear :)

kbb0118
06-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Hi vira - I'm planning to build one like yours. What is piece #9 for? Did you build a top?

Thanks much!

vira
06-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi, welcome to Double Screen SM 100. Piece 9th are to be glued on the windows(8) to support piece 5th onwhich the middle CFL's stand. I tried to take a pic but it did not show well the 9th.About the top, it's not in the plan. I use an old piece from my old SM 100. For your info,my screens are now matured and give very good result.

vira
08-07-2011, 10:07 PM
After some time, The Double Screen ATS started to leak due to bending of the side walls. It was of 2 mm.thickness . I decided to build a new one with 6 mm thick acrylic.It is now working. Folowing is the new and final construction plan for those who may be interested.