PDA

View Full Version : Eductor

reef4girl
03-06-2009, 10:01 AM
I was going to do a ats in the middle compartment of my biocube 14 but have decided to build an under the cabinet.My husband knows plumbing(not fish tank related) and he was throwing around the idea of using an eductor. I was wondering if anyone has used an eductor building their under the cabinet ats. It kinda scares me after he told me how the eductor works . I know I should have more confidence in his knowledge of plumbing but I know he hasn't done anything like this. So,
I am open for suggestions on how to plumb this? What pumps to use? Do I need a overflow box? If someone could educate me alittle then I could put a bug in my husbands ear about the best way to do this. :?

kcress
03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure how you can use one in your case.

They are an underwater nozzle designed to entrain more water and accelerate it. They're for taking a high speed flow of water and converting it to a low speed flow of much more water. How will that be applicable to a TS?

reef4girl
03-06-2009, 02:29 PM
They way he explained it to me was that it would the increase the flow . and siphon from the bottom opening. So I think he is trying to use the eductor to elimate a pump.

cyberseer
03-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Eductor will increase flow only if it's underwater. But our screen is the waterfall style, meaning it's above water. There for would render the eductor useless. Unless you want to draw some air into your water mix before the screen, then it would work, but then I don't see any benefit of adding more air, coz our screen creates tons of air already. Besides, even if you do want to mix more air, I would think the sucking noise from the eductor will drive you crazy. Ever seen/herd a eductor style skimmer with out a muffler? not something i want in my living room. :)

reef4girl
03-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Well I definatly don't want the extra noise in the living room. Well I am glad I asked this question. Thanks guys for educating me ;)