PDA

View Full Version : Scrubber in an overflow?

Jeff
03-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I have a 220 gallon Perfecto reef aquarium with twin overflows. The overflows are roughly 7"X25" (125 sq inchs). Forgive me if this has been asked before but is it possible to retrofit an overflow for algae scrubbing? Its wasted space otherwise.

kcress
03-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Got a picture?

worley
03-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Looking at my overflow chamber, that is 6" internal diameter, if you have 25" wide (or is that 25" high?) and the water is drained from the bottom, as apposed to a standpipe, then there would be potential for a one-sided screen with slim waterproof lights put in. Maybe some compact fluorescent bulbs inside an acrylic box to keep them dry, and a mirrored back to reflect more light.
It really depends how much space you have inside the overflow chamber and how low the water level is (the lower the better in this case). But yes, pictures please!

Jeff
03-12-2009, 03:55 AM
Well, the overflows are the normail top to bottom type. 7" wide by 25" high with clear glass on the sides. I could shine a light in from the outside. Right now, there is a durso type standpipe in it but I could remove it and go with something that drains from the bottom.

SantaMonica
03-12-2009, 11:31 AM
A light on the outside is the way to go. I'd use 4 T5HO bulbs, 24" long, with reflectors. Then play around with the screen angle, so that the water stays quiet on its trip from top to bottom.

worley
03-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Yes agreed, if you can get a light from the other side of the glass behind the overflow (outside the tank!) then that would be easier.
You'd need to take the Durso out, it will make more noise of course, if you drain from the bottom.