PDA

View Full Version : turf algae scrubber in perc 120

necromonger
03-25-2009, 08:32 AM
hi,
Im in the process of sourcing parts for building a algae scrubber in the rear sump compartment of my aqua medic perc 120 reef tank.
upto now ive bought a clear plastic canvas screen, a 32w (=130watt) full daylight spectrum bulb with holder, cable and plug, ive yet to buy the water pump and pipework!
the plan is to build a refector made from a car window sunlight reflector and thick wire to house the bulb etc and place it on the outside of the tank shining inwards through the rear glass tank panel onto the plastic canvas sheet hanging in the rear compartment.
Has anyone any experience of this type of build in the perc 120, does anyone have any concerns/ criticisms on the design that I may have overlooked?

worley
03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
My original build was for a Perc 90.
I did it a completely different way from anyone else though, I used a peristaltic pump to suck water at 6l/hour (1. something gal/hour) up a 6mm pipe through into our loft/attic into a "sump", i then placed a 1200l/hour (wasn't enough) pump in the sump and put the scrubber on top, and let the water overflow down more pipes back down into the tank through 80ft in total of 6mm tubing lol.

worley
03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
check out my post: http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3&start=0

kcress
03-25-2009, 12:52 PM
No concerns per se but some comments - non-perc.

Unlike most scrubber builds here, mine is inside a plexy box and I'm shining the light thru the box. This is really reducing the resulting illumination on the screen. I would hazard it's cutting it down but 30% easily. :cry: Then you have the splash,(salt creep), and inevitable algae growth on the inside of the lighting surface which is working to add to this 30% ...

Also keep in mind that CFL bulbs have electronics in them that can easily be overheated and will then fail. This has to be considered when wrapping reflectors around them.

A picture of you plan area would be useful.

necromonger
03-25-2009, 03:07 PM
No concerns per se but some comments - non-perc.

Unlike most scrubber builds here, mine is inside a plexy box and I'm shining the light thru the box. This is really reducing the resulting illumination on the screen. I would hazard it's cutting it down but 30% easily. :cry: Then you have the splash,(salt creep), and inevitable algae growth on the inside of the lighting surface which is working to add to this 30% ...

Also keep in mind that CFL bulbs have electronics in them that can easily be overheated and will then fail. This has to be considered when wrapping reflectors around them.

A picture of you plan area would be useful.
I must admit I never thought of the algae growing on the screen issue and wasnt aware of bulbs overheating.
I'll take some photos of the proposed site and draw some plans up to post tomorrow to give some more detail.

kcress
03-25-2009, 10:18 PM
I must admit I never thought of the algae growing on the screen issue and wasnt aware of bulbs overheating.
I'll take some photos of the proposed site and draw some plans up to post tomorrow to give some more detail.

"screen" -> I meant the window. (clarification) We want it on the screen!!

necromonger
03-26-2009, 08:08 AM

"screen" -> I meant the window. (clarification) We want it on the screen!!
oops! thats what I meant aswell!

kcress
03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
BTW: The Chronicles of Riddick is one of my top ten favorite movies ever. Damn! That was a great movie!
I wish they'd make about 5 more.