PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen salt

dota
01-27-2012, 07:58 PM
sorry, out of topic

can u use kitchen salt for SW tank ?

Ace25
01-27-2012, 08:18 PM
For just the sodium (NaCl) part of saltwater, sure as long as you know the salt is pure and has no caking agents, but salt for an aquarium contains a lot of other elements as well, like calcium and all the stuff that raises and buffers the pH. Sodium Chloride is neutral so if you have neutral water and mix in sodium you will have a pH of 7.0. Nothing will live in a tank mixed with just kitchen salt, if that is what your asking.

dota
01-28-2012, 12:09 AM
actually, i use kitchen salt for raising my salinity, is it danger..?
what i know that kitchen salt contain iodide that can harm the fishes, if i dose too much, is it right ?

kotlec
01-28-2012, 02:41 AM
Why dont you use proper salt to regulate salinity ?

kerry
01-28-2012, 01:25 PM
I have to much invested in my SW tanks to not do it right or to use things I have not researched. I would recommend you use the SW mix. I buy it in the 5 Gal pail and it lasts for ever and seems to be the most economical way to purchase.

Ace25
01-28-2012, 06:09 PM
It is possible to raise salinity by simply adding sodium chloride (salt). B-Ionic salt is a 4 part salt mix. First part of the mix is pure sodium chloride. Then you put in magnesium, alk, and calcium in that order. In the instructions it says if your happy with the 3 levels (Alk, CA, Mg) and you simply want to raise salinity you just need to add a little more sodium chloride. The biggest "unknown" with using table salt though is you don't know if it has anything extra added to it unless your lucky and they print it on the label, for that reason alone I would never use any type of table/kitchen salt.

General warning, never pour salt of any type into an aquarium, always disolve it in water first and if it is a high concentration slowly add it to the tank.

jjj
02-04-2012, 05:16 AM
salt with iodine isnt the level of iodine way to high?

dota
02-06-2012, 11:51 PM
i stop using the kitchen salt, but when i was using it... it was ok, nothing go wrong, but i just add abit though.

at the end.. i failed raise the salinity... it still the same :( maybe i need more salt