PDA

View Full Version : water not draining quick enough into container

mystic.bertie
04-16-2009, 08:16 AM
i have 1 x 22mm pipe draining water from my tank to a container below my tank which i am setting up as an algae scrubber, my tank has about 500L of actual water, i made the screen out of a tank sepetator and 8" wide x 12" deep, i cut the slot in my 22mm pipe about 2mm wide, however i am finding that not enough water is flowing out the slot into the container to keep the return pump going with water,

what can i do to get more water flow out of my pipe and into the container ?

worley
04-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Hey mystic bertie!
Try cutting 1" cuts at 90 degrees to the main cut, about 1 inch apart from each other, be warned that these have a tendancy to get clogged as I've found, so put something to shield the light from the cuts so the algae doesn't grow right at the top and clog things up.
This should help a lot with the flow problems, if it's still happening, you could always put a bypass on the end of the tube to let the rest of the water go into the container

mystic.bertie
04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Hey mystic bertie!
Try cutting 1" cuts at 90 degrees to the main cut, about 1 inch apart from each other, be warned that these have a tendancy to get clogged as I've found, so put something to shield the light from the cuts so the algae doesn't grow right at the top and clog things up.
This should help a lot with the flow problems, if it's still happening, you could always put a bypass on the end of the tube to let the rest of the water go into the container

cheers mate, will these cuts still allow the water to flow down the screen ? i would have thought they would let the water fall and miss the screen.

worley
04-16-2009, 05:56 PM
As long as the flow isn't too high, and the cross-cuts too wide, then the water will go down the screen (but as mentioned before, they have a tendancy to clog/grow algae if exposed to the light and then the water spurts out sideways a bit, but fixed by covering them so the light doesn't reach the cuts)

mystic.bertie
04-16-2009, 06:50 PM
As long as the flow isn't too high, and the cross-cuts too wide, then the water will go down the screen (but as mentioned before, they have a tendancy to clog/grow algae if exposed to the light and then the water spurts out sideways a bit, but fixed by covering them so the light doesn't reach the cuts)

ok thanks worley, ill give this a try and see how it performs, cheers