PDA

View Full Version : Best mesh to use

DennisC
03-15-2012, 05:42 AM
As above, what is the best type of mesh to use.

From what I can see on a lot of the picture/builds on here, the mesh seems to be plastic. Over here, most of the builds use a fabric mesh as used in the needlework hobbies ie. cross-stitch. This is a bit of a pain in the posterior to rough up as it tends to fray at the edges and bottom edge.

I have got both sorts and I am using the fabric at the moment but not sure whether to go with the plastic one.

Dennis

kerry
03-15-2012, 06:20 AM
I have tried the fabric type and it wears out quick!!! I like to use the plastic mesh for cross stitch. I rough mine up with a back saw, I just drag it in many different directions to get uniform roughness. The fabric mesh does not need to be roughed up but is also harder to support. I feel the plastic is the way to go.

Floyd R Turbo
03-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Try all you want but the #7 mesh plastic canvas is the only one to use. Nothing else has come close to succeeding as well. Rough it up with a 2' hole saw like you use to drill a hole in a door for a lockset. You don't have to and don't want to press hard, just let the bit do the work, go back and forth and rotate the screen as you do it. With the smaller screen requirements, it's easier to pick the area you are going to rough up before you cut the screen. Leave an area on the top edge smooth for inserting into the slot. What I suggest is masking off your rough area with tape (blue painter's tape or regular masking tape) and then cut away the unwanted area after you're done. That way you don't have to worry about ripping the edges. Plus you can grip the screen better.

DennisC
03-18-2012, 04:48 AM
Started with the plastic a couple of days ago.