PDA

View Full Version : What kind of tests / brands are best to monitor reef water quality?

kodiak66
05-17-2012, 11:38 PM
How does everyone test their tank water quality? I have the Saltwater Master Liquid test kit from Aq Pharmaceuticals. It tests for pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. I also have the Red Sea test for Calcium. Is there one kit that tests for everything? What else do I need to complete the water quality tests, and what brand?

kerry
05-18-2012, 05:25 AM
I like the Red Sea brand test kit. They have one that tests Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium. The other kit you have is OK for what it does, I use the API brand for pH, ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite because my local stock that brand.

kotlec
05-19-2012, 03:55 AM
I found salifert to be very good for calcium , magnesium and alkalinity. These you will be monitoring on constant basis. Smaller tank needs more often measurements .
For ph none of tests where good enough for my liking. But cheap pencil type electronic meter has done job just well.
For phosphates i would recommend Hanna meter as tests are not sensitive enough to give you good picture of what is going on in your tank unless you have huge amounts of P in water column.

SantaMonica
05-19-2012, 10:14 AM
I don't test N and P anymore; I can tell what it is by the scrubber growth, and/or the growth on the rocks.

But I used to use all Salifert, except for P which they changed and it never tested zero even with RODI water.

I'm now using Salifert for Cal, Alk, and Mag, and have confirmed that you can just dump calcium chloride into the sump without pre-mixing it, and it will slowly dissolve in about 24 hours. Same for mag.

kerry
05-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I have wondered if I could do that with Mg!! Thanks for the tip.

Bubbabobobbrain
06-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Red Sea test kits all the way. I swear by them