PDA

View Full Version : Think twice before using carbon if you have tangs on your tank

iiluisii
05-25-2012, 03:20 PM
checks this out
http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/activated-carbon-hlle-smoking-gun-found

Floyd R Turbo
05-25-2012, 03:54 PM
That study has been hashed over on many boards. If it's the same one I'm thinking of (it's about a year old, that makes it about right) the 1) they used unrinsed cheap grade carbon (didn't rinse out the fines/dust) 2) the study was hardly scientific, but raised good questions 3) the study has supposedly been 'verified' or 'duplicated' but how do you do this if the original study was flawed.

Bottom line here is that if you're going to use carbon, use a good one and rinse it.

SoundUser
05-26-2012, 08:34 AM
I read this when it was new. Ive got a yellow tank thats 7+ years old. Only been running carbon for 2 years now. Always rinse it and ive never had a problem. So I think there is more to it that just carbon.

Garf
05-26-2012, 01:15 PM
I read this when it was new. Ive got a yellow tank thats 7+ years old. Only been running carbon for 2 years now. Always rinse it and ive never had a problem. So I think there is more to it that just carbon.

And me! In as much that I have intermittently used carbon throughout the 7 years my tank has been running and my tangs have never been affected.

Bubbabobobbrain
06-02-2012, 05:56 PM
I had 5 tangs in my old 220 for quite a while before tearing it down and ran carbon almost constantly because I had lots of softies and I never had any problems at all. But I never used the cheap stuff and always rinsed very good before adding to my reef tank. So I'm thinking there is more to hlle than just one of those items listed.