PDA

View Full Version : HOG.5

SantaMonica
06-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Subscribe to this scrubber Here (http://algaescrubber.net/forums/subscription.php?do=addsubscription&t=2013)

HOG.5(TM)
Purchase Here (http://www.santa-monica.cc/product.asp?itemid=21)

HOG Scrubber®
Hang On Glass Upflow Algae Scrubber®
with Green Grabber® surfaces

For up to 1/4" (6.25mm) acrylic or glass walls. Eliminate water changes. Remove nuisance algae, nitrate and phosphate. Cultivate seaweed for feeding.

6150 6151 6152 6153 7966 6154 6155 6156 6157

Day 1 through 9 growth, from new, of the old HOG.5 version (before Green Grabber textures) on a dirty freshwater tank:

6141 6142 6143 6144 6145 6146 6147 6148 6149

Videos:

HOG.5 on small freshwater tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z9OR8pTcHs
9-day cleaning video of the old HOG.5 version before Green Grabber textures:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0K4UCp9_aA
7-Days Of Growth After Cleaning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o14culabk7k

HOG.5 dimensions: Each cover is 5" wide x 6 5/8" high x 1" thick (12.7cm wide x 16.8cm high x 2.5cm thick)

Operates on both 120 and 240V.Can be shipped to any country; you can find shipping costs by putting the item into the shopping cart; be sure to click "display rates"

Get the no-overflow advantage of an upflow scrubber: since it is ALL underwater, it can't overflow onto your floor.

This is a hand-built Hang-On-Glass (HOG) Upflow Algae Scrubber for up to 1/4" (6.25mm) glass or acrylic aquarium or sump walls, and is the only HOG scrubber without magnets on the side, which means you can trim the 5" sides to fit into the back compartments of all-in-one aquariums like BioCubes, JBJ, etc as long as the space is at least 4.25" (103mm). This is also a great first algae scrubber, especially if you are unsure about the concept and just want to see it grow. This HOG.5 is designed to handle this much feeding per day:

0.5 Frozen cubes, or
5 Pinches of flake, or
5 Square inches (31 square cm) of nori, or
1.4 grams of pellets

The number of gallons or liters of water does not matter. If you feed more than this, you can get multiple units; multiple units are preferred because you can clean one per week, and because you'll always have one filtering while the other starts growing again after a cleaning. Multiple units are also good for backup. The magnets attach the outside cover to the inside cover, through the aquarium wall, and can be used on glass or acrylic up to 1/4 inch (6.25 mm). Not more. If your walls are thicker, get the HOG1 (https://santa-monica.3dcartstores.com/product.asp?itemid=36) instead, because it has stronger magnets.

No electrical parts go inside the aquarium; only air. And the air bubbler is already supplied, so you don't have to get an airstone. This HOG.5 will run on both 120V and 240V, and comes with a 10 ft (300 cm) power cord with a U.S. plug. If you require a different plug you can get an adapter at any local hardware or travel store, or online, or you can cut off the U.S. plug install your own plug from a hardware store.

Comes with 3 ft (90 cm) of vinyl airline, but requires an air pump that can pump 1.0 liters per minute (.04 cfm), which most low-cost air pumps can handle. Make sure to put the air pump above the aquarium so that it will not drain any water if it shuts off.

Comes with one red (660 nm) 3-watt LED, which is attached to a heat sink inside the cover; the cover gets barely warm on the outside. The LED will give the aquarium a slight red color at night. You will need to get a timer so you can run the light for up to 22 hours per day (not 24). The LED never needs replacing.

The HOG.5 will need to be cleaned every 7 to 21 days, by removing the inside cover, disconnecting the airline, and taking the inside cover to the sink so you can scrape the algae off with a toothbrush. The screen is super rough Green Grabber white texture, and is permanently glued to the inside cover with epoxy. Cleaning the screen and the inside cover takes about 30 seconds with a toothbrush.

The HOG.5 comes with a 1 year warranty. Warranty is for replacement or repair only; not a refund. Costs for shipping back to us are covered if you are in the U.S. Costs for shipping back to us are not covered if you are not in the U.S., however we will pay for shipping back to you. In either case, you will need to ship the entire unit back to us before we can ship a replacement. Warranty is limited to repair or replacement, and does not cover fish loss, personal injury, property loss, or direct, incidental or consequential damage arising from the use of it. The warranty and remedies set forth above are exclusive and in lieu of all others, whether oral or written, express or implied. We specifically disclaim any and all implied warranties, including but not limited to lost profits, downtime, goodwill, damage to or replacement of other equipment and property, and any costs of recovering animals, plants, tanks or other aquarium related items and/or equipment. We are not responsible for special, incidental, or consequential damages resulting from any breach of warranty, or replacement of equipment or property, or any costs of recovering or reproducing any equipment, animals or plants used or grown with this product.

Can be shipped to any country; you can find shipping costs by using the shopping cart; be sure to click "display rates". If you don't have a zip code, enter "zip code" instead. Note that shipping outside of the USA will probably require you to also pay an import charge when it arrives. We cannot mark it as "gift". The lowest cost (but slowest) foreign shipping is generally USPS First Class Package International, but USPS Priority Mail International is better because it is faster and has insurance. The size of the shipping box is 10 x 7 x 5 inches, 25 x 17.5 x 10 cm.

This was the first UAS HOG available, and will be undergoing changes as improvements are found.

HOG.5 Size: Each cover is 5" wide x 6 5/8" high x 1" thick (12.7cm wide x 16.8cm high x 2.5cm thick)

Comments:

7756 7757 7758 7759 7760

"I am very happy with the [HOG.5] which is working great. I will be buying more scrubbers for my other 8 tanks" -- Bruce Ashcraft.

"I installed a HOG.5 ATS @SantaMonica in my 3rd chamber with the return pump in my 29 biocube, works well for me. My nitrates stay between 5 ppm or lower. Phosphates are usually .04 or lower" -- Saltyphish on the R2R site.

"Great [HOG.5] Thank you" -- bigbluebatman on ebay.

"Very nice filter [HOG.5], as described, quick shipping Recommended seller" -- anapurnaiii on ebay.

"many thanks, Great product [HOG.5], fast delivery" -- stevenjoyce29 on ebay.

"Excellent [HOG.5] def recommend" -- kre159 on ebay.

"Nice item [HOG.5]" -- fishing2424 on ebay.

"Quick delivery, excellent item [HOG.5], brilliant seller. Perfect, thank you" -- level1imp on ebay.

"Definitely recommended [HOG.5]" -- alucard827 on ebay.

"Great product [HOG.5]. Great Customer Service!" -- mandiars on ebay.

"bigger than it looks [HOG.5] great unit" -- kootab01 on ebay.

"works great [HOG.5], shipped fast and packed securely" -- tinman262h2012 on ebay.

"Superb [HOG.5], thank you" -- blade1buster on ebay.

"Great little item [HOG.5] fast delivery recommended" -- terrynorth1976 on ebay.

"Thanks works great [HOG.5]" -- nhedz0426 on ebay.

"Turbidity WAY down. Water crystal - Works AWESOME [HOG.5]. Shipped FAST. Thanks again." -- ascosens on ebay.

"Fast and Easy! [HOG.5] thanks again!" -- kllrwlf on ebay.

"Thank you. Would buy again [HOG.5]" -- avrc8 on ebay.

"Great product! [HOG.5] Incredible fast shipping!" -- ruffian738 on ebay.

"Nice, recommended [HOG.5]" -- joselopez999 on ebay.

"Super service [HOG.5]" -- skibbatechno on ebay.

"Fast shipper" -- jamesjhfl on ebay.

"The [HOG.5] is working well" -- JT Powell

"Boom... 7 days growth from my HOG.5" -- rdevoe11 on the R2R site:

Comment from Masgatigata on the R2R site: "I added my [HOG.5] scrubber almost 2 months ago. Since then I've noticed less and less nuisance algae in my display. I ordered a second one about two weeks ago bc I tend to feed heavy. I've been very happy with my purchase!"

Comment from Brendan Farrell: "3 months after installing it my tank is spotless. I fought that algae bloom for 2 years and nothing worked but you guys saved my tank. Thanks for the great product!!!"

Comment from "Adam_T" on the CFT site: "The HOG.5 worked as intended. It grew a thick turf of hair algae inside of the casing...which prevented algae from exploring the rest of my tank."

Comment from "mtbeeson" on the scrubber site: "I love my HOG.5 UAS. My tank looks so amazing. I was going to make a bigger UAS but things looks so good in my tank I am afraid to change anything".

Comment from Jim Stime the LA Fish Guy: "The HOG.5 has produced lots of algae growth each week, and the inside of the [customer's] tank is starting to be more coralline algae than green algae."

Comment from "duganderson" on the scrubber site: "I've been running a HOG.5 since [8 months ago] on my nano cube 28 with CF lights and 2 RBTA, 3 fish, softies, LPS, a few sps, macros and a few snails. I have not changed my water for 2.5 months and my water quality is still great (nitrate 0.2 (salifert) and phosphate 0.018 (Hanna Phosphorous checker). Obviously, I need to dose Alk and Ca. I don't run a skimmer, and I have live rock, purigen, and occasional carbon and phospban in a sock for filtration. I'm planning to quit carbon, phosban and purigen and I'm hoping to see similar results."

Comment from "blade1buster" on ebay: "Thank you for sending me the [HOG.5]... your product is great"

Comment from "Michael T": "The scrubber [HOG.5] is working great. It's amazing how it attracts all of that algae. It really was a great investment. I recommended it to all of my reefing buddies"

Comment from "BigAl07" on the Reef Sanctuary forum: "I've been running an Algae Scrubber on my work tank for months now. After using one I don't plan to run another tank long-term without one. I've reefed for several years and I admit I was more than just a little skeptical about this whole ATS thing. Well not any more. I installed the Santa Monica UAS (HOG.5) on my work tank and the tank has never looked better. I was close to giving up on this tank and tearing it down (It's been up and running here in my office 5+ years now) because I could not get the GHA under control. Because it's in my office it gets the least care/love of all my tanks I've ever owned. It's just a pain to come back to the office after hours to clean/maintain it. I now have zero GHA in this tank and only a small patch of receding Bryopsis in this tank and it's crystal clear. This all came about with NO changes other than the UAS. I didn't treat the tank or increase my water change regimen or anything. By growing the algae in an optimal environment (UAS) and then harvesting the growth I'm removing whatever the algae is feeding on in the main tank and exporting the growth from the system. I've noticed a slow-down in the GHA inside the UAS and I can only assume it's because the tank is more stable now and found it's equilibrium with the UAS installed."

Comment from Dennis B: "Letting you know that I really think the [HOG.5] scrubber you have is outstanding - really controls my phosphates - the #1 cause of uncontrolled algae growth and something that has really been an issue for me - until I added your unit. Also, helps with my nitrates, too! I have continued to suggest these units to fellow fish keepers - you really have a great unit due to its small size, little upkeep and great performance. Thanks again for creating this clever and so useful device! I really feel this is the best filter that anyone has produced in twenty years for tank upkeep."

Comment from "Clavius" in the Netherlands: "I've been running a 500 liter tank now for 5 years. It is very well stocked with SPS, LPS, softies, filter feeders and a modest amount of fish. The nutrients were being kept very low by a combination of a giant skimmer and the ZEOvit method. Off course, this results in very lightly coloured corals, which was my goal. Generally I'm very pleased with the colouring and growth of my corals, and please with my tank in general. But one battle I've always lost: brown algae covering my sandbed. I could not, for the life of me, find what was causing those algae. Not to mention solve it. I've tried many many things to solve it, but up untill recently, without luck.

Almost three weeks ago though, I installed a HOG.5 unit. It was a little experiment that I wanted to do ever since I learned about algae scrubbers. I was never creative enough to build one myself, as the space in my 100 ltr sump is very limited. The HOG.5 was affordable and tiny enough to enable my experiment. I could even fit 6 of those units in there with ease. Off course, with the ZEO-method, my nutrients already were really very low. I couldn't measure any NO3 or PO4 with my Salifert test kits. And I never bothered with more expensive kits; unmeasurable should be good enough. I wanted to see if the vitamins and amino acids that the algae scrubber produces would add anything to my reef. And, more importantly, if the algae would consume "something" that the brown algae on my sandbed require.

The result in my sandbed is staggering. After only 3 weeks, not a trace of the pesky brown algae is left! An extra benefit, that I didn't expect, is that my lightly coloured corals now all have noticably much more colour. Without getting darker. They seem to glow! I don't know if it is from the vitamins that are released in the water [from the algae scrubber]. Or maybe the ugly brown algae [on the sand] were also covering my corals and that I now finally seeing my uncovered corals! Strangely enough, the algae in my HOG.5 aren't light green, as you would expect with nutrient-poor tanks. But they're a mix of dark brown with red tints here and there. So, I have no idea why that is or how that works. But at this stage I'm just so happy that I really don't care."

Instructions:

English (PDF) (http://algaescrubber.net/HOG-Instructions.pdf)
English (Word) (http://algaescrubber.net/HOG-Instructions.doc)
Italian (PDF) (http://algaescrubber.net/HOG-Instructions-Italian.pdf)
Italian (Word) (http://algaescrubber.net/HOG-Instructions-Italian.doc)

Selection chart:

http://algaescrubber.net/WhichOne.jpg

Garf
06-09-2012, 02:30 PM
With quick results like this I think you're gonna sell a shed load of these

ruddybop
06-09-2012, 03:47 PM
did you use CFL or LED....

Garf
06-09-2012, 03:51 PM
did you use CFL or LED....

Look at the video, obviously some alien power source, wicked!

Bobba
06-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Very impressive SM. I recently posted about a DIY UAS using an Aquaclear 50 HOB but this might be a better option for me. A couple of questions if I may? What is needed to drive the ,leds and since the screen and bubbler (I assume) are siliconed in place, what if they needed replaced? I did not see any holes except on top. So, I am assuming the unit must be mounted higher to eliminate releasing bubbles into the display, correct?

ruddybop
06-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Look at the video, obviously some alien power source, wicked!

Oh lol.... I missed that link right at the top in front of my face...buisy looking at the pics... :) .... Thank You.....

SantaMonica
06-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks, glad you like it.

LEDs use a simple LED driver, available at the same places that sell the LEDs.

If the screen needed replacing, you would just cut the silicone out with a knife.

If the bubbler needed replacing, you would just pull it off; it does not have too much glue. Then glue a new hose, cut it, and adjust the segments for even flow.

It also has holes on the bottom. Can be mounted higher than the waterline, as in the Day 1 though 5 pics, or below the surface, as in the Day 6 through 9 pics. Below the surface makes less sound, and circulates more water through the cover; thus it will collect more floating particles as is shown in the pics. But of course it makes bubbles :)

Garf
06-09-2012, 05:21 PM
I'm converted!

Rogue
06-09-2012, 11:51 PM
How do you make two tray attached each other between glass/acrylic?

SantaMonica
06-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Magnets

jnad
06-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Hello!

What a great little scrubber, very nice.

Du you use magnets inside the tank too, are they seald with silicone? Or are magnets reef safe?

And are the leds running with 3 W effeckt eatch?

Jnad

SantaMonica
06-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks.

Yes there are magnets inside the tank. They are epoxy coated, and I tested them in sw for a few months and they seem to hold up.

LED are running at 700 ma, but not quite 3w each because a lot of power is going to heat up the power converter. The kill-o-watt measures 7 watts.

kotlec
06-10-2012, 11:56 AM
All genius is simple.
How many holes for water circulation and what size ?

SantaMonica
06-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Small holes, to keep the fish out, no bigger than 1/16" (about 1.5mm). Five or so on the bottom, and a few on the side. Water circulation was not a main concern.

kotlec
06-10-2012, 12:47 PM
So how we will clean water without having access to it ? I thing concentration of N and P inside will be very small compared to tank. What I am missing ?

ph
06-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey santa monica,

Can you describe how you integrated the LEDs into the food service tray? Also, where did you find the food service trays? What kind of air pump did you use? Finally, I remember the diagram stating that this is for 0.5 cubes a day. This seems to replicate the guidelines for the ATS scrubbers. Is it clear at this point that the upflow have the same guidelines as the waterfall? This system seems ideal for my 55 gallon but I thought about using a white rubbermaid 8X6 container to allow for a larger screen size if necessary. As far as magnets, you mentioned that you epoxied them. Is this the same stuff that you use to anchor coral or something different? I originally though about using nano size magfloats to anchor my box down.

SantaMonica
06-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Lower N an P will help grow green algae which filters better.

LEDs are just attached to the heat sink with thermal adhesive tape, and same for the heat sink to the tray.

No it's not for certain that a UAS has the same food ratings as an ATS, but it's a good starting point.

I super glued them. But they are already epoxy or rubber coated to protect them. Suction cups would work too.

Bobba
06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Just about convinced to order one! So, in your unbiased (lol) opinion, how much of a problem would this create ( if any) with bubbles and salt creep in the display? I am learning more and more about scrubbers in general and the whole concept just makes common sense. I would be willing to bet that unwanted algae issues is the number one reason people give up the hobby. The standard advice of bigger skimmers, better lights, sump with macro, GFO reactors,etc... just do not work for everyone.

SantaMonica
06-10-2012, 07:17 PM
The sliced-tubing bubbler makes pretty big bubbles, so there are no micro bubbles in the display that I can see. However until many people have had the same results, I'd not say for sure that it would be that way for you.

You could set up a test yourself, with a bubbler and tupperware box.

SantaMonica
06-13-2012, 05:33 PM
7 days of growth after first cleaning:
http://www.algaescrubber.net/hog.5-16.jpg

Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o14culabk7k

tomservo
06-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Very nice! You will be able to sell a lot of a filter like this.. Super easy to install and unobtrusive.

Othello
06-14-2012, 04:05 AM
Hey SM

great new scrubber :D must admit you keep amazing me with the new twists you bring about every time :)

two questions:

1- in the video i noticed some plants in the aquarium...are those real plants and if yes, what kind of impact did the scrubber have on them?
2- for salt water, are screen dimensions still same (proportional to feeding quantities) or are there any changes?

SantaMonica
06-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Glad you are liking the designs.

They are fake plants.

Size is the same for SW, based only on feeding.

ph
06-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Ok, I just bought one of these after figuring out that I couldn't build anything similar or cheaper. I am interested in seeing how this will work for my nutrient rich 55 gallon that maybe receives a maximum of 0.5 cubes a day but it is usually like 0.3 or so. I have a HOB skimmer that will require some effort to install on my tank but I want to see how this will work first.

Bobba
06-14-2012, 07:37 PM
Well, I just ordered too! I was on the fence about the HOG.5 and a DIY and decided to order from SM due to his expertise. Because the UAS concept is in its early stages, I realize that future versions will incorporate enhanced perormance and features. The HOG.5 made sense for me as a first experience with scrubbers in general. I sincerely hope that it helps to resolve my ongoing algae issues. I also hope other early adopters post their experience (good or bad), so that others may benefit.

HeavyTy
06-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Wow I didn't know you just sliced the airline! Where is my razor blade!

E-werd
06-16-2012, 09:57 AM
A word on making bubbles with air tube as I did this last night for my DIY HOG. I used a bowl in the sink with my air pump to test this, but I started off by taking small chunks out of the tube. This resulted in all of the bubbles coming from the first hole--no good, I cut that section off and tried again. This time I just punctured it with a steak knife... it came out of the most-punctured hole, but not the others. It took me about 5 minutes of tweaking, but I systematically made the puncture holes just a little larger until I had what I was looking for. The idea I guess is to puncture it just enough so that air could move past the holes if the end wasn't plugged, but when it is plugged the air forces itself out of the tiny holes.

Anybody considering this project would probably figure it out anyhow, but maybe this will save somebody a little bit of time.

Bobba
06-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Just a quick update. Received and installed my SantaMonica HOG.5 today. Really hoping it helps my ongoing hair algae issue. I have been running GFO and performing 3 gal. water changes every week. Should I continue the changes and GFO? The HOG.5 seems well made. I am not too crazy about the sliced up airline tubing though. Played with it quite awhile trying to get the bubbles even across the screen. I was wondering if there is enough water flow since the only holes are on the bottom with one more at the top to vent the bubbles.

SantaMonica
06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
A lot of water gets through the sides. Enough so, that the growth has never been nutrient starved. It won't generate much flow in the display, of course. The main goal was to keep bubbles and light inside. If you want you can add a few small holes on the side.

You can rub a little algae on the screen to get it going if you want. You can also stop the water changes and gfo; should be growing in a week or so.

The sliced tubing is the (hopeful) answer to low cost, non-clogging, adjustable, replaceable, and diy-friendly. Growth still occurs on the tube, but brushes right off. Also, tilting the unit will help distribute the bubbles. But the bubbles don't have the be perfect; as with a waterfall, the growth will re-route the flow anyway.

Start your thread... will be nice to see.

Bobba
06-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Just a quick thanks SM for all you do for the aquarium community! Your obvious passion for the hobby in general and more specifically the area of filtration is really inspirational. Hell, I don't even know if this little black box is going to work, yet I am still excited.

Bobba
06-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Almost forgot. I will definitely try "seeding" the screen tomorrow. Lord knows I have enough algae to work with! Good to hear that the bubble flow does not have to be perfect. I just looked at it again and it's actually better than it was earlier. Breaking in I suppose.

SantaMonica
06-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm increasing the number of magnet pieces from 8 per corner to 10. 8 was strong for 1/8 glass but weak for 1/4. With more magnet pieces, it will be good on 1/4, and very strong on 1/8.

Now the magnets are the most expensive part of the whole thing :)

ph
07-05-2012, 07:32 AM
I put on my scrubber yesterday and everything seems to be operating fine. The scrubber does seem to slide down my tank wall some. I am wondering if I screwed up the orientation of the magnets or something. I made double sure that the polarity of the magnet "stack" matched the other side. Is one end of the stack stronger than the other? Hopefully, I didn't misunderstand you! Thanks!

SantaMonica
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
It does matter which way. 4 stacks of 2 is better.

I'm putting 5 stacks of 2 on now. If you need more I can send some.

djmx2002
07-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Would this thing work on the RSM? I am thinking of getting the InTank media basket and placing the UAS right next to it inside of the skimmer chamber of the RSM 130

Thanks

SantaMonica
07-12-2012, 07:15 PM
If you have a 5" X 7" space on clear glass or acrylic, it can be put there. Up to 1/4 thick. If the glass is painted, you would need to remove the paint so the light can shine through.

djmx2002
07-12-2012, 07:20 PM
That's great, once i get the intank media basket i will measure how much space i have left in there. How long does it take you to make and ship one?

bacon07
07-13-2012, 04:54 PM
I just got mine and they look really nice but unfortunately they don't stick together on 5/16" glass... the magnets don't seem to be strong enough. Any ideas? My acrylic sump exploded the other day while trying to drill it with the wrong bit (lol) and it's currently being repaired, but I'm not even sure it will work again so I wanted these scrubbers to be on the display at least for now.

SantaMonica
07-13-2012, 05:04 PM
5/16 is a bit over 1/4, and would need a few more magnets. I can send some to you and if you put them on in the proper direction it should hold. Mean time you could use tape.

SantaMonica
07-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Make sure the outside has the cord going down, and the inside has the tubing going up. Otherwise the magnets won't match and won't hold.

bacon07
07-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Good news is my sump started working again this morning, I got really lucky lol so they will stay in the sump.

Because I ran them from 7pm-1pm (overnight 18 hours) I was wondering if I should cover the little holes on top of the unit during the daylight hours (when it's off) so the inside can be completely dark. Or maybe the little light that gets thru the holes is not enough to bother the algae growth? I'm referring to the natural light in the room. Or maybe I should just run them during the day and have them off 8 hours at night to avoid any light getting in there <- this seems like the best solution.

SantaMonica
07-14-2012, 01:05 PM
No need to cover.

Does not matter when you run it.

ph
07-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Hey Santa Monica,

My scrubber has been on my tank for approximately 10 days and the screen hasn't grown anything with 18 hours of lighting. Additionally, I am having trouble getting an even distribution of bubbles across the airline; they all seem to come out of a pronounced hole on the right side of the tubing. I have tried pushing and pulling the cut segments but it doesn't seem to help. I am using a Tetra whisper 20 that I think produces 1.5 lpm. I am worried that the copious amount of hair and halimeda might be absorbing nutrients and preventing any growth on the screen. I feed about .5 cubes every other day and I usually insert a 6 square inch section of nori in my tank a couple times a week. Any suggestions?

Thanks

SantaMonica
07-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Tuck the section of cut airline under another section, so it closes off the air. Then see how the bubbles are. Also you can tilt the unit to even the flow.

The nuisance algae is not doing anything really.

ph
07-14-2012, 02:14 PM
I will try doing that but I think that the section is glued down. It is part of the cut slits but it seems a little wider than the rest only allowing air bubbles on the right side of the unit (if the open side of the unit is facing you). I might try plugging it up with some super glue if other fixes don't work. Tilting does seem to work. Would a more powerful air pump solve the issue? Does it take a while for algae to grow in some tanks or is it due to this bubble issue?

SantaMonica
07-14-2012, 03:40 PM
You tuck one segment under another. Also you can sqeeze them together with pliers. More air would help, but it does not have to be perfect. You should have growth already on sections of the screen with bubbles.

Clavius
07-14-2012, 11:13 PM
I just ordered the HOG5. Brilliant idea!! How much airflow is supposed to be provided to the unit?

SantaMonica
07-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Up to 1 lpm.

bacon07
07-14-2012, 11:30 PM
^ I use a single whisper 150 to power 2 of these (t-valve) and there seems to be a nice amount of bubbles rubbing against the screen continuously on both units. There is a thread with the specific recommended amount of airflow here http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2091-Recommended-airflow-for-UAS-bubbler

I have another question... I placed my two scrubbers right before the return pump in the sump... after all the filter media including poly-filter and purigen. Will this affect the performance of the scrubber as opposed to being in the display tank? Also I removed the GFO (had undetectable phosphates) and started feeding more. Won't do any water change this week except topping off evaporation with rodi water.

SantaMonica
07-15-2012, 05:11 AM
Does not matter where it goes.

Only the GFO would have affected it.

Clavius
07-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Up to 1 lpm.

Thanks for the quick reply. Can't wait until it arrives.

bacon07
07-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I seeded mine today with a bit of green algae growing on a piece of base rock and changed the hours from 12pm - 6 am, can't wait to see if it grows a little by tomorrow. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10ppm. The diatoms in the display tank (1 month old) have almost disappeared and been replaced with purple coralline/green algae. No hair algae anywhere that I can see.

SantaMonica
07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
You should smear the algae on the screen and work it into the plastic.

bacon07
07-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Not seeing any kind of growth on any side so I decreased the hours to 14 light /10 darkness. Gonna wait til Friday before I check again. I also touched the hose a little and the bubbles increased a lot on the center of the screen and also became bigger so that might be better. There's good green algae (no hair or cyano, but more like a green coralline) covering a few pieces of base live rock in my display and there's still plenty of diatoms in the powerheads/back wall (but not enough to be a nuisance, I actually like the way it looks except for the odd spot in the glass that the snails take care of pretty fast) so I think those algae might be out-competing the scrubber. I added 5 more Astraea snails today (bringing the total to 12 or 1 per 10 gallon). The main tank gets 300w 14k metal halide lighting for approx 8 hours a day, and about 2 watts of blue LEDs 24/7 (4 small LEDs that act as moonlight when the HQI go out)

Stock:
2 Clownfish (Both around 2 inches)
1 flame angel (2.5")
1 diamond watchman goby (3")
2 firefish (2")
1 mandarin dragonet (3")
12 astraea snail (1/2" to 1.5")
3 orange spotted nassarius snail (1.5")
2 peppermint shrimp (1")
about 10 little blue legged hermits, might be off by a few since I also seem to have a mantis shrimp that I haven't met yet... lol

Close to 100 pounds of live rock

Parameters
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
ph 8.2
temp 76
Nitrate ~10ppm

Phospate was undetectable last time I checked, but I have since then removed the GFO (Saturday), haven't checked again
Calcium 520 mg/L
KH (Alkalinity) 12

Filter media (SUMP)
- filter sock, polyester filter fiber (aka pillow stuffing) to catch small particles
- Poly-filter
- 200 ml purigen (I also have an extra 500ml bag that I took out when I installed the scrubber)
- some bioballs
- ceramic rings

UV sterilizer (turned off since I installed scrubber)

Canister
- 4 Liters of seachem matrix (all trays full of it)
- 20 oz Chemi pure elite

Top off with RO/DI water every day.

SantaMonica
07-17-2012, 05:08 PM
There won't be any growth for the first four days.

bacon07
07-17-2012, 06:33 PM
So you don't think cutting the hours for now was a good idea? Maybe increase them once I do see some growth? Sorry I know everything in this hobby takes patience and I'm not good with that lol but I have to say you did an awesome job, these units look really neat. Btw, do you think the two scrubbers will be able to handle my current stock just fine?

SantaMonica
07-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Glad you like the design. How do the magnets hold on your sump?

I'd keep them at 18 hours unless a bald white spot appears in the middle.

The two of them together can handle 1 cube a day once they are growing.

bacon07
07-19-2012, 07:00 PM
They hold really well, sometimes I just try to open the scrubber a little bit to peek inside and they snap back shut if I leave the cover too close, hard enough to make a sound.

There's definitely enough magnets for most tanks... I just wish my display was acrylic because even if I add more magnets to fit the thick glass, the inner rim would make it impossible to have the top 1" of the unit out of the water. Only option would be lowering the water level, but I don't wanna break the overflow too lol so I'll just keep them in the sump ---> I'm not good with DIY.

bacon07
07-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Still no growth... and it's been 7 days. Not even a hint of a growth. in fact, I stuck two small pieces of rock covered in green hair algae (actual live rock from the LFS tank that had hair algae growing everywhere) behind the screen for two purposes: seeding the screen and keeping it tilted forward so that the top end touches the glass as suggested in the manual. Guess what happened? The rocks are now white, I actually killed hair algae by trying to grow it. Isn't that the ultimate irony? lol

Is it possible that I just don't have enough nutrients for these scrubbers to work? I have been feeding a pinch of 1mm nls pellets every other day for the last week, a pinch would be about 10 pellets. I feed very lightly because the few fish I have are all very small and I have lots of pods and stuff in the live rock that they eat. I also wash the filter sock daily (it goes from white to dark brown in about 24 hours) Maybe I should not run a filter sock and let all that gunk stay in the water column, or maybe I have so much live rock and sand that it's consuming everything, or the scrubbers just aren't meant to be in the sump return chamber...

Another thing I noticed is coralline algae seems to be starting to take over and the other algae are disappearing from display. I haven't done a water change in a week and the water seems cleaner than ever.

I will test tomorrow morning all my parameters from nitrates to calcium, alkalinity and phosphates and post them here. Perhaps I should consider adding more livestock?

SantaMonica
07-21-2012, 04:59 AM
You are feeding about 1/100 of a cube. Add livestock, and multiply your feeding by ten times. You can remove the sock if you want, which will put more particles in the water for corals for small fish to eat.

Clavius
07-21-2012, 12:06 PM
My HOG5 just arrived. All genius ideas are simple, and this one is too. And brilliantly worked out.

Only thing is... I can't get used to the bubbles. It's really loud. Has anybody tried it with a little water pump? Does that work? Or is the extra aeration needed?

bacon07
07-21-2012, 01:13 PM
If you leave the top 1" of the unit out of the water there will be virtually no sound or bubbles. The air is what moves the water upwards and brings carbon dioxide to the algae I believe.

Clavius
07-21-2012, 02:50 PM
If you leave the top 1" of the unit out of the water there will be virtually no sound or bubbles. The air is what moves the water upwards and brings carbon dioxide to the algae I believe.

I have the top out of the water. The bubbles inside the unit still make lots of sound.

The algae needing Co2 does make sense. But wouldn't the water itself contain enough of it? Other algae turf scrubbers don't need it.

Garf
07-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Hi Clavius - problem in saltwater is that the higher the pH the lower the Co2 as it forms into carbonic acid then bicarbonate and then carbonate. Conventional algae screens then use the bicarbonate, turning it back to Co2 to fuel growth. However, this process requires a lot of energy and is therefore wasteful, diverting the energy away from growth. Due to normally low Co2 absorption rates in aquariums this increases the pH just compounding the issue. The idea of bubbling the screens MAY increase direct Co2 availability therefore reducing the Alkalinity depletion issues often found with conventional scrubbers. Hope this makes sense

SantaMonica
07-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Glad you like the HOG.5. If you move the unit farther down the glass, it should be more quiet. Also, turning down the airflow makes it quieter too, although you have to balance this with the need to get bubbles across most of the screen.

http://www.algaescrubber.net/WhyBubbles.jpg

Clavius
07-21-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks for explaining this! Makes lots of sense.

Floyd R Turbo
07-22-2012, 08:06 PM
So you took the magnet out of the molding?

SantaMonica
07-22-2012, 09:02 PM
No. Just removed the mold release from the trays.

bacon07
07-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Finally some solid growth! It'e very dark on the corners and very light yellow on the center.. will post pic tomorrow

My water and tank looked sparkling today... it was just amazing and the scrubber is just starting to pull junk out of it. Meanwhile I added 10 or so nerites ranging from black and white to pink and purple, that should add bioload and help clean the tank while the scrubber keeps growing.

Clavius
07-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Ok, I got and installed my HOG unit 7 days ago. Now, for the first time, I see some algae growth... Should I clean this? Or should I let it grow and clean it the next time when there is some solid growth?

SantaMonica
07-28-2012, 02:17 PM
Go 14 days.

SantaMonica
07-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Now using epoxy to glue the magnets. Should not come off without tearing the cover.

Clavius
08-05-2012, 11:52 AM
OK, so now my new HOG5 has been running for 14 days. The growth isn't very thick and VERY dark green/brown. Is this still normal startup behaviour? And should I clean it? Or go for another 7 days?

SantaMonica
08-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Yes it's normal for a high-nutrient tank at. Clean it, and the next 14 days should be more green.

18 hours.

SantaMonica
08-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Parts now available...
http://www.santa-monica.cc/HOG5-Parts_c_10.html

ph
08-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Hey Santa Monica,

I just recently moved my tank but someone walked off with the in tank screen half of the scrubber. I still have the LED portion. Is is possible to get another made?

Thanks

SantaMonica
08-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Ok I added the inside half, in the parts page.

pitzenmj
08-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Hey Santamonica, I recieved my UAS last night and installed it. It looks awesome, and very well constructed, the red LED are very cool. I seeded the screen with some HA from my tank, and I'm starting with .02 phosphate and 15ppm of nitrate. Looking forward to good results. the only issue I had is the magnets don't quite hold on my sump. the unit slides down and then the LED side pops off. I have it taped on for now, but I'm wondering if my magnets aren't strong enough?

SantaMonica
08-28-2012, 11:23 AM
How thick is the sump? Make sure the electric wire goes down and not up. I hand-check them before shipping to make sure they hold strong to the cardboard.

I can send more magnets if needed.

pitzenmj
08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
sump is 1/4 inch acrylic, and the electrical cord is facing down. if you could send anymore, that would be great. I'll try to get some "before" pics up tonight.

Rosenaa
08-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Hey Santa Monica,

I just received my HOG.5! Yay, its gonna be great for my Fluval Edge nano. I were just wondering, cause I concluded that I messed up the order since the HOG werent assembled, which is fair enough (my bad :)).

Anyway, when do you think the guide movie will be up an running on how to assemble it? I think I am able to without, but it would be nice with a guide.

Secondly, its going to hang in a Aqua Clear 50, and the acryl is a bit tinted compared to normal clear placstic... Do you think its gonna cause major problems? There is only going to be one fish and a shrimp in the tank so feeding is minimal.

SantaMonica
08-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Yes, you had ordered the "kit', which you will need to build yourself. The how-to-build video will not be done anytime soon, so you should try it without.

Tinted aquarium glass? You will have to just try it.

Rosenaa
08-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Oh okay - just one question: The air tube, in what way do you cut it for the best bubbles? Like -|-|-|-|-|-|-?

And its not the aquarium thats tinted, but the Aqua Clear 50 (its a hang on filter) where I have removed the filter and gonna replace it with the HOG.

kerry
08-30-2012, 12:32 PM
I have some LED's behind a HOB filter that is tinted like the aqua clear and mine works ok.

SantaMonica
08-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Yes that tubing slice pattern is fine.

pitzenmj
09-17-2012, 10:27 AM
SM, so i've been up and running about 3 1/2 weeks now, and I still only have the smallest amount of green at the edges of my screen. I reduced my light from 18 on/6 off to 12 on/12 off last week. Should I be taking the plunge and take my skimmer offline? I'm nervous to, but I assume that is probably part of the reason that my screen is taking longer to fill in than others.

SantaMonica
09-17-2012, 11:24 AM
That would help. What are measurements now?

You can reduce hours more.

Also, if you have the unit above the water (to remove bubbles), and if you don't mind bubbles, you can slide it down farther; this will flow more and water deliver more nutrients to the screen.

Also, if you don't mind more red light, you could open the bottom holes up more, below and beside the screen. This will deliver more nutrients to the screen.

sabbath
09-17-2012, 01:40 PM
SM, so i've been up and running about 3 1/2 weeks now, and I still only have the smallest amount of green at the edges of my screen. I reduced my light from 18 on/6 off to 12 on/12 off last week. Should I be taking the plunge and take my skimmer offline? I'm nervous to, but I assume that is probably part of the reason that my screen is taking longer to fill in than others.

Your not alone as mine is doing the same thing at 4 weeks. I backed off the light to 15 hours but I think I will drop it to 12 now. I have a biowheel on a 20g fish only without rock and I'm nervous to take it off line. I think I will drill bigger holes in it now.

sabbath
09-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Here is mine after 4 weeks with weekly cleanings. I just drilled larger holes in it after I took these. What do you recommend?

SantaMonica
09-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Yep less hours, down to whatever it needs to be. And more days... up to 14.

sabbath
09-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Yep less hours, down to whatever it needs to be. And more days... up to 14.

What should I look for to know if I should go 7 or up to the 14 days?
Thanks

SantaMonica
09-17-2012, 08:11 PM
More days will give more growth.

Less hours will give more growth, if it is currently burning.

pitzenmj
09-18-2012, 05:28 AM
Okay, I took the leap last night and shut down my skimmer. I also lightly rinsed my screen and opened up the holes in the bottom and side of the scrubber. I'll let you know the results.

sabbath
09-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Okay, I took the leap last night and shut down my skimmer. I also lightly rinsed my screen and opened up the holes in the bottom and side of the scrubber. I'll let you know the results.

My 2 cents. I drilled all of the holes about twice the size and added 2 more up top and a couple on the side without holes. It seems to me that it would flow more if it has holes at the bottom and the top for flow. I think it is actually quieter as the bubbles coming out of the top are a little smaller. I'm not concerned about the red led lights as I run them during mostly none viewing times.

jakef150
09-25-2012, 03:44 PM
hi there

My HOG .5 cube scrubbler collect good alague but still struggle with Phos at 0.07...I have skimmer running but nothing else. I feed every other day. i change water ever other week

Green hair still growing slow...

advice ?

Thanks

SantaMonica
09-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Pics before cleaning.

jakef150
09-25-2012, 04:50 PM
I just cleaned last week, it's 2nd time clean so far it's dark green, little light green and some brown algue

18 hrs on and 6 hrs off

Jake

SantaMonica
09-25-2012, 06:47 PM
2 cleanings not enough to have done any filtering.

jakef150
09-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Oh....guess it takes time ?

Thanks

SantaMonica
09-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Suction-cup version now available, for any thickness acrylic or glass...
http://www.santa-monica.cc/Hang-On-Glass-HOG-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber-UAS--05-Cubes-feeding-per-day--SUCTION-CUP-VERSION_p_32.html

red fish
10-01-2012, 04:25 AM
My glass is thicker than 1/4 in. What type of suction-cups work?

SantaMonica
10-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Any rubber ones. I have some cups and brackets here:
http://www.santa-monica.cc/Suction-Cup-Brackets-3-for-the-HOG5_p_33.html

Or you could add extra magnets:
http://www.santa-monica.cc/Magnets-for-the-HOG5_p_26.html

SantaMonica
10-07-2012, 05:21 AM
The suction-cup version is now available, for any thickness glass or acrylic... HOG.5 Suction Cup Version (http://www.santa-monica.cc/Hang-On-Glass-HOG-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber-UAS--05-Cubes-feeding-per-day--SUCTION-CUP-VERSION_p_32.html)

http://www.algaescrubber.net/HOG.5-cup-installed.jpg

http://www.algaescrubber.net/HOG.5-cup-rotate.jpg

SantaMonica
10-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Finally got a one-sheet made:
http://www.algaescrubber.net/HOG.5-OneSheet-72-without-phone.jpg

SantaMonica
10-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Two improvements, which can be applied to already-bought units:

1. The 3 holes on the side of the bubble tray can also be added to the other side of the tray, so there will be holes on both sides. If you don't mind the extra red light coming out, this will increase water flow across the screen. If the growth has been yellow, this will help. If yours is working fine, however, you don't need to do anything.

2. The screen will now be laying flat against the tray, instead of tilting forward towards the glass; this will keep the screen farther from the light, which will let it grow better. Also, it will give a full 1 inch of growth space inside. If yours is tilted towards the glass, you can heat it up a bit with a hair dryer and bend it flat on the tray (the tray won't melt... it is oven-proof). If yours is working fine, however, you don't need to do anything.

SantaMonica
11-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Another improvement: The magnets are now being covered with black silicone. The black plastic tray can now be twisted back and forth, and the magnets don't move at all. And although the magnets are already epoxy coated, the black silicone will allow them to last much longer without any scratches.

jakef150
11-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Mines doing great since few months until Mines turning to rust :(

It's magnet area all 4 corners..I tried to clean rust off but it does no good..

I emailed you from your store website..

What do you suggest ?

Thanks
Jake

SantaMonica
11-17-2012, 11:51 AM
We are now covering the magnets in black silicone and it works great. Any glue will work actually, even super glue frag gel which dries underwater. Just put it over yours and it should be good for quite a while.

Bobba
11-23-2012, 11:38 AM
I am having a couple ongoing issues with the magnets seriously corroding and falling off I have attempted to clean and reattach them numerous times. I just ordered some different magnets to try but wanted to know the name of the black silicon now being used? Also having a problem with salt spray out of the little vent hole on top. It has actually corroded my light fixture which is 18" above the scrubber. If I lower the scrubber, the bubbles in the water make a huge mess. How are others dealing with this?

SantaMonica
11-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Well we are now sealing the magnets in black Aqueon aquriuum silicone (Ebay, etc). Very permanent, very flexible, and totally sealed. It adds another whole day of drying time to the building process however.

For the bubbles, you can just put some airline in the hole; enlarge the hole just enough and you won't have to glue the airline in.

duganderson
12-23-2012, 11:11 AM
In another thread, someone was talking about building a much bigger version of the HOG.5. Santa Monica suggested that it has two screen instead of one so that when you clean it you will not have a spike in nutrients.

Do you get a spike when you clean the HOB.5 in a smaller tank (l28 g. cube)? If so, would it be good to leave a little algae on the screen instead of cleaning it all off to avoid this?

SantaMonica
12-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Any single scrubber and heavy feeding will get a spike. The HOG.5 is too small to clean half; easier to get a second one and clean one each week.

SantaMonica
12-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Finally a pic of the black aquarium silicone that we are using now to seal the magnets...

... also we've learned how to line up the magnets exactly before the glue sets; this really increases the holding power on the glass.

duganderson
01-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Someone gave me there HOG.5 (really cool of him) but the magnets are rusty on the screen cover. I tried to brush it off but could not quite get it all off. Is this rust a problem for the tank or inhabitants?

Can I just put some super glue gel, silicone, etc. over the rusty magnets to seal them from the water?

Where can I buy inexpensive magnets to replace them if I need to replace them?

Also, the 5 magnets are missing from one of the corners and one magnet is missing from another corner. Is it likely to work like this OR should I try to borrow one magnet from each corner so there are at least 4 magnets in each corner.

Thanks, Doug

SantaMonica
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
You should silicone them like we are doing now with the new ones.

There are no inexpensive magnets. Try what you can to get it to work.

nickq
01-04-2013, 02:40 PM
Do you think it will give enough holding power for 10mm glass now, or will we still need the suction cup version?

SantaMonica
01-04-2013, 08:02 PM
10mm... 3/8 inch. Maybe. If there is not too much electric cord hanging, and not too much pulling on the airline, it would help. We are getting much better at lining up the magnets and some of them are pretty strong.

Best bet is to have a backup use for it, in case it won't hold. Or add more magnets. Or wait several months for a bigger version.

duganderson
01-09-2013, 05:02 AM
I know the new HOG.5 has one 3 watt light. Someone gave me a HOG.5 (really cool of him) but it is a model with 2 LED lights.

How powerful are each of these LEDs?

How long should I leave this model on per day at first? I know the 1 LED 3-watt version should be on 8 hours per day at first.

I'm using it on a Nano Cube 28 in the main. After I can get good growth, I'm going to try to modify it to work in the back compartment of the nano cube.

Thanks

SantaMonica
01-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Here is all you need to know ... :)
http://algaescrubber.net/HOG.5-Instructions.pdf

duganderson
01-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Here is all you need to know ... :)
http://algaescrubber.net/HOG.5-Instructions.pdf

Santa Monica.....thank for your reply. I had read the instructions a while ago and did not remember that was in there. If folks are wondering, the instructions say the "LEDs use 7 watts of power."

SantaMonica
01-11-2013, 04:40 AM
Technique for getting stronger hold on the glass: Rough up the contact points of the covers with a file. The covers have a gloss coating that is slippery, and if you remove it and leave file marks on both covers where they touch the glass, they hold much better.

duganderson
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
I just added to HOG.5 to my 28 g. nano cube 4 days ago. I have not seen any green on my screen yet even though I did rub some algae on there before starting. I have not seen any reduction or death with the GHA, red hair/turf algae, green turf or cyno yet. I’m running the LED for 8.5 hours per day.

Should I start to feed my tank more now or wait until the algae in my display is gone? Or the scrubber is full? Or never start to feed more?

My cube has 3 small fish, 5 snails, softies, 2 RBTA, a couple LPS and one SPS. I don’t feed even close to ½ cube per day. I probably feed the equivalent of 1/8 cube per day or less.

Floyd R Turbo
01-11-2013, 11:14 AM
with any scrubber, wait until you get a mature screen before changing anything. That's likely several weeks.

duganderson
01-15-2013, 06:12 AM
I added a HOG.5 to my 28 g. nano one week ago. The screen is not green yet. Should I wait to increase my light past 8.5 hours per day until I see green or should I increase some now since it's been a week?

The HOG.5 instructions say..."A good starting point is 8 hours per day for your first week. Once the middle of the screen is no longer white, increase the hours by 2 per day the next."

SantaMonica
01-15-2013, 06:51 AM
Is there any growth?

duganderson
01-15-2013, 07:30 AM
No growth yet. Screen is still white.

SantaMonica
01-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Let it go 14 days and post a pic.

duganderson
01-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Is this the type of algae you most want to grow in a UAS? This is a photo of a piece in my tank before I'm going to pull it out and do a peroxide treatment on it. It is about 1" tall right now.

SantaMonica
01-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Any growth in a scrubber is good. And green is better.

Don't pull growth off; let it fade away on it's own.

duganderson
01-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Don't pull growth off; let it fade away on it's own.'

Does leaving the algae in the display help the scrubber to grow faster OR is it just a good way to prove when the scrubber starts to work?

SantaMonica
01-17-2013, 08:33 AM
It keeps nutrients in the water lower, which lets the scrubber grow greener, which filters better.

duganderson
01-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Here is my screen after 17 days. I'm running my light 8.5 hours per day. See details of tank and photo below. Should I change anything yet (increase light, increase feeding, remove my phosban, chemipure or purigen, etc.)? The middle of the screen is still more white than the rest of the screen.

The color of the algae on the screen is slightly more green than it shows in the photo. Also, the bubbles do not show up very well in this photo.

I added a HOG.5 to my 28 g. nano cube. I did rub some algae (bryopsis... but I thought it was green hair algae) on there before starting. My cube has 3 small fish, 5 snails, softies, 2 RBTA, a couple LPS and one SPS. I don’t feed even close to ½ cube per day. I probably feed the equivalent of 1/8 cube per day or less.

duganderson
01-24-2013, 09:09 AM
Here is an updated photo of the Bryopsis in my display. I pulled some out some but my HOG.5 (and/or my phosban, chemipure or purigen) does seem to be helping it to die. The UAS has been in 17 days. Also, the green hair algae in my display is disappearing quickly.

The red algae (also see in photo; I think it's red turf algae) actually seems to be getting worse since adding the UAS. Any ideas about why this is occuring? Should the UAS kill this too?

Here is a photo from about 1 week ago.

3831[/QUOTE]

SantaMonica
01-24-2013, 01:43 PM
The phosban is slowing down the scrubber, and also removing the display algae. Let the scrubber go to 21 days, and increase light to 10 hours.

duganderson
01-24-2013, 02:14 PM
The phosban is slowing down the scrubber, and also removing the display algae. Let the scrubber go to 21 days, and increase light to 10 hours.

Would you suggest leaving the phosban or taking it out?

SantaMonica
01-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Take it out.

duganderson
01-24-2013, 08:57 PM
Would you pull out the chemipure or purigen too???

SantaMonica
01-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Can leave them in if you want. Main thing is to not let them collect particles.

duganderson
01-31-2013, 09:54 AM

Here is a photo of my HOG.5 on day 24 in my 28 g. nano cube. I started with 8.5 hours of light, 10 hours day 19, 11 hours day 21, 12 hours day 20 until now.

As you can see the growth is not quite as good in the middle but it is not white. Can I continue to increase the duration of my lighting? Do you start to reduce light when growth is less in the middle (like on mine) or not until it's white in the middle?

Thanks

SantaMonica
01-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Go to 16 hours.

cdm2012
02-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Hey SM, I noticed that your HOG.5 UAS has only 1 LED now and you say it is better matched to the screen size. What LED are you using now?

Example pic:

SantaMonica
02-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Yes most people were burning the screen with 2 leds. It's a 3 watt 660nm.

cdm2012
02-02-2013, 10:35 AM
If anyone has this new single LED HOG.5 UAS, can you post some pics of your growth?

duganderson
02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Day 29 Photo attached. Is it time to clean the screen yet?

If so, do you brush it with toothbrush and rinse all of the algae off or try to leave some on there.

I'm up to 16 hours of light for the last few days.

SantaMonica
02-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes clean all the dark stuff off, but it's starting to burn so 16 is enough for now. Could add iron, and more bubbles would help.

duganderson
02-06-2013, 03:52 AM
Yes clean all the dark stuff off, but it's starting to burn so 16 is enough for now. Could add iron, and more bubbles would help.

Are you saying to scrape and rinse the whole thing OR try to only scrape off the dark stuff (if so, how do you do this?)

Thank you for all of your help so far!

SantaMonica
02-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Use a toothbrush to get all off.

duganderson
02-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Use a toothbrush to get all off.

I just cleaned my screen for the first time with water and a toothbrush and I was surprised how strong the algae was attached to the screen and how some of the algae needed a firm scrubbing to get off. I brushed it for a minute or so on both sides and got it pretty clean but there was still some green on the screen and in the holes. I stopped brushing because I figured the green that was left would help it get started again.

We'll see how the second session of growth goes. I'm hoping to get some more longer, hairlike algae (but any algae export seems like a good thing).

duganderson
02-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Yes most people were burning the screen with 2 leds. It's a 3 watt 660nm.

Any ideas of a safe way to reduce burning with the two LED models like sanding the LEDs to diffuse the light more?

SantaMonica
02-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Less hours. Keep the screen against the back cover. Get lots of flow through it. Add iron. Let grow more days.

duganderson
02-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Less hours. Keep the screen against the back cover. Get lots of flow through it. Add iron. Let grow more days.

Iron, huh. I just read some interesting articles about dosing with iron being helpful, especially if you are growing macro algae (which I do have some in my tank....red grape, codium, and dragon's breath).

I'm having a hard time finding good information on what to use for dosing and how much. What do you recommend?

One good source said you could use Flourish Iron (for freshwater....but I happen to have some of this).

SantaMonica
02-10-2013, 08:54 AM
Should be ok. I used Kent's Iron+Manganese

alum
02-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Now I know Iron can help macroalgae grow, ok thanks SM :)

Clavius
02-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Glad you like the HOG.5. If you move the unit farther down the glass, it should be more quiet. Also, turning down the airflow makes it quieter too, although you have to balance this with the need to get bubbles across most of the screen.

http://www.algaescrubber.net/WhyBubbles.jpg

Has anybody tried using the HOG5 with a little water pump instead of an airpump yet? If not, then I'm going to!

I've been using two HOG5's for 6 months now. The noise from the bubbles and air pump still drives me bonkers. I just can't get used to it. It's louder then my giant Bubble Magus skimmer with dual pumps!

Speaking of which. I understand that the function of the bubbles is to supply CO2 to the algae. But what if I'm still skimming with bit fat oversized skimmer? Wouldn't the skimmer saturate the water with CO2 from the surrounding air? Enabling me to run that water through the two HOG5's?

And where do the algae that we could get in the display tank get their CO2 from? They don't get any bubbles rubbed against them either, and still many people manage to grow them like crazy in their display tanks.

A different issue that I'm having is the magnets. The black paint has totally vanished and the magnets themselves are slowly but steadily disolving. It seems like this hasn't caused an issue for my livestock yet, but it can't be healthy for them either. Moreover, I'm worried what the magnetic particles will do to my pumps.

I'm having good results from these scrubbers though!!

SantaMonica
02-11-2013, 07:37 AM
The HOG.5 is designed to be low cost, not low-noise. Low-noise would be much more costly because of the more elaborate case. Also, you can adjust the sound by moving the flexible segments of the airline, and by reducing the air pump flow, and by moving the unit higher or lower.

The bubbles must rub the screen or the algae will not reach the "dry" parts inside the bubbles, and also, the algae will not get the turbulence of going from air to water to air, which removes the boundary layer around the algae and allow better matabolite transfer. The bubbles from a skimmer do not touch the algae, therefore the CO2 in the skimmer bubbles does not help.

Algae in the display grow very very slowly. They cannot multiply ten-fold like algae in a scrubber, over night, going from an almost invisible layer to a nice visible layer. If algae in the display could even double over night, in a week the display would be full up to the waterline with it.

The magnets have long since been coated and sealed by black silicone. All you need to do is seal them and they will be good for a long time.

Glad they are scrubbing well for you :)

Floyd R Turbo
02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
A different issue that I'm having is the magnets. The black paint has totally vanished and the magnets themselves are slowly but steadily disolving. It seems like this hasn't caused an issue for my livestock yet, but it can't be healthy for them either. Moreover, I'm worried what the magnetic particles will do to my pumps.

This is of major concern to the reef aquaria. You do not want these magnets to be exposed to the water. They need to be sealed.

duganderson
02-16-2013, 08:26 PM
I have a 28 g. nano cube with a HOG.5.

Here is my screen 10 days after the first cleaning. I waited 30 days to clean the first time. Currently, my light runs 16 hours.

Should I clean the screen yet? Should I reduce the light some? See photo below.

Thanks, Doug

SantaMonica
02-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Yes brush it with a toothbrush, including the cover.

SmokeyNite
03-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Just tried to install my 2 units from Santa Monica and was very disappointed. The others were right- the magnets are way too weak. The units just slid down the glass and fell off. guess I need to figure out how to get them to stay put....

SantaMonica
03-25-2013, 05:51 PM
What is the glass thickness?

SmokeyNite
03-25-2013, 08:10 PM
It's just regular glass thickness. It's a tank we got from petco about 15 years ago. However, I tried it in my 'fuge too, and that's plexiglass and it didn't hold there either. I'll be sending my two back for the exchange of the HOG 1. Hopefully that one will be stronger.
Thanks!

SmokeyNite
03-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Santa, I sent back the two units today as was requested by the company. Hopefully, they will get them and send me the HOG 1 ASAP!

SantaMonica
04-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Got 'em!

It was what I thought... you had switched the units... the lights from unit "A" were on the screen for unit "B", and vise versa. Since they were pre-matched here, they won't hold if they are unmatched. When I switched them back, they were super strong :)

Anyway, I'll be sending out the HOG1 today.

SmokeyNite
04-03-2013, 04:29 PM
I actually tried both of them to see if one unit's magnets worked better, but still no go. Still, I can't wait for the HOG 1!!
Thanks!!

SantaMonica
04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Well also, even if they are on the correct unit, they have to be correct-side-up :)

So, anyone else getting multiple HOG.5 units... be sure to keep matched pairs together.

duganderson
06-08-2013, 03:40 PM
4400I have a HOG.5 (old style with 2 leds) on my nano cube 28 mixed reef. Light running 16 hours; it was burning with more. Attached is a photo after 17 days since cleaning. I've been rubbing the scrubber for 5 months now. I'm not getting growth like I've seen on other UAS or scrubbers. Any ideas of what to do?

My phoshate is usually good 0.02--0.04 (Hanna phoshourous meter) and nitate is low 0.2-0.4 (Salifert) but I'm still having problems with algae and cyno. My only other filtration is floss, purigan, carbon and live rock.

SantaMonica
06-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Try going 3 weeks before cleaning.

duganderson
06-08-2013, 10:04 PM
4400I have a HOG.5 (old style with 2 leds) on my nano cube 28 mixed reef. Light running 16 hours; it was burning with more. Attached is a photo after 17 days since cleaning. I've been rubbing the scrubber for 5 months now. I'm not getting growth like I've seen on other UAS or scrubbers. Any ideas of what to do?

My phoshate is usually good 0.02--0.04 (Hanna phoshourous meter) and nitate is low 0.2-0.4 (Salifert) but I'm still having problems with algae and cyno. My only other filtration is floss, purigan, carbon and live rock.

Try going 3 weeks before cleaning.

I've let it go three weeks recently and it did not seem to help. I had a few follow up questions.....

1. Is it true that placing the top of the HOG.5 just above the water line helps the water recirculating inside it, allowing the nutrients to be pulled down artificially low inside it, which allows green to grow. If this is true, should I try this????

2. In order to mount the HOG.5 slightly above the water line, I would need to modify it slightly to fit in the compartment for the media racks AND I would have to remove my floss and chemical media. Would a better functioning scrubber be worth losing my floss and media options?

3. The growth I get is mostly SLIMY dark green algae and red turf like algae. The red turf is the main problem algae I get in the tank. Is the slimy or turf algae interfering with the growth of desirable green algae? If so, is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks

SantaMonica
06-09-2013, 02:51 AM
1. Yes it works that way but yours is not growing black.

2. You can try it.

3. All that stuff should be brushed off during cleaning, including off the black shell and between the holes. so that white screen remains.

duganderson
06-09-2013, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the responses. One more question......based on what your seeing on the picture, should I increase or lower my bubble rate? I have an adjustable bubbler.

duganderson
06-09-2013, 06:55 AM
All that stuff should be brushed off during cleaning, including off the black shell and between the holes. so that white screen remains.

I have not been able to get all of the red turf off, especially between the holes. I'll poke something between the holes to clean it up better and see if that helps.

SantaMonica
06-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Keep the bubbles the same.

Try a very firm toothbrush.

duganderson
06-11-2013, 02:26 PM
I want to move my HOG.5 to my back compartment of my nano cube 28. The LED half of the HOG.5 will be duct taped or mounted to the outside back glass. The inside portion of the HOG.5 will be mounted to the back of the clear acrylic 'In-Tank' media basket facing the back of the tank (it will need to be modified somewhat to fit). There will be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of water between the the back glass and the media basket.

If I have an additional 1/2--3/4 inch space of water between the 2 halves of the HOG.5 AND an additional thin sheet of acrylic between the two halves, do you think the light will be strong enough to grow algae well? I have the old HOG.5 with two leds?

If this work, I'll post pictures and give updates.

SantaMonica
06-11-2013, 03:43 PM
I think the extra acrylic might block too much of the light when it grows.

Floyd R Turbo
06-11-2013, 04:24 PM
We're talking a few mm of acrylic here. Not an issue. Acrylic has a high transmission ratio, better than glass. The difference between 1/4" and 1/2" is negligible, even up to 1" is still not that different

SantaMonica
06-11-2013, 06:26 PM
But the extra growth on the 2 extra surfaces is.

duganderson
06-11-2013, 07:31 PM
But the extra growth on the 2 extra surfaces is.

That's a good point. If I try this, I'll plan to monitor the growth on the inside glass and acrylic and possibly plan to brush it clean a couple times a week if necessary.

Santa Monica, Floyd Turbo or others......will I lose a lot of light strength going through the additional 1/2 to 3/4 inches of water between the back glass and the acrylic.

Thanks

SantaMonica
06-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Probably not; it's the growth that blocks the light.

duganderson
06-25-2013, 10:50 AM
I want to move my HOG.5 to my back compartment of my nano cube 28. The LED half of the HOG.5 will be mounted to the outside back glass. The inside portion of the HOG.5 will be mounted to the back of the clear acrylic 'In-Tank' media basket facing the back of the tank (it will need to be modified somewhat to fit).

Any ideas or suggestions for mounting the LED side of HOG.5 to the back glass without magnets?

Do I need to be careful about what what I tape or glue to the outside of this due to overheating?

SantaMonica
06-25-2013, 11:11 AM
Just tape it. Or get the suction cups from the shopping cart site. Won't over heat.

duganderson
08-18-2013, 05:41 PM
I've been running a HOG.5 since Jan on my nano cube 28 with CF lights and 2 RBTA, 3 fish, sofites, LPS, a few sps, macros and a few snails. I have not changed my water for 2.5 months and my water quality is still great (nitrate 0.2 (salifert) and phosphate at 0.018 (Hanna Phosphorous checker). Obviously, I need to dose Alk and Ca.

I don't run a skimmer and have live rock, purigen, and occasional carbon and phospban in a sock for filtration. I'm planning to quit carbon, phosban and purigen and I'm hoping to see similar results.

SantaMonica
08-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Nice!

Here another one: Comment from Jim Stime the LA Fish Guy: "The HOG.5 has produced lots of algae growth each week, and the inside of the [customer's] tank is starting to be more coralline algae than green algae."

SantaMonica
11-25-2013, 08:40 PM
Nice HOG.5 video in FW:
http://youtu.be/y59C7mjR-e0

SantaMonica
07-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Purchase here:
http://www.santa-monica.cc/HOG5-Hang-On-Glass-UAS-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber--12-Cube-feeding-per-day--MAGNET-VERSION_p_21.html

Comment from Masgatigata on the R2R site: "I added my [HOG.5] scrubber almost 2 months ago. Since then I've noticed less and less nuisance algae in my display. I ordered a second one about two weeks ago bc I tend to feed heavy. I've been very happy with my purchase!"

Comment from Brendan Farrell: "3 months after installing it my tank is spotless. I fought that algae bloom for 2 years and nothing worked but you guys saved my tank. Thanks for the great product!!!"

Comment from "Adam_T" on the CFT site: "The HOG.5 worked as intended. It grew a thick turf of hair algae inside of the casing...which prevented algae from exploring the rest of my tank."

Comment from "mtbeeson" on the scrubber site: "I love my HOG.5 UAS. My tank looks so amazing. I was going to make a bigger UAS but things looks so good in my tank I am afraid to change anything".

Comment from Jim Stime the LA Fish Guy: "The HOG.5 has produced lots of algae growth each week, and the inside of the [customer's] tank is starting to be more coralline algae than green algae."

Comment from "duganderson" on the scrubber site: "I've been running a HOG.5 since [8 months ago] on my nano cube 28 with CF lights and 2 RBTA, 3 fish, softies, LPS, a few sps, macros and a few snails. I have not changed my water for 2.5 months and my water quality is still great (nitrate 0.2 (salifert) and phosphate 0.018 (Hanna Phosphorous checker). Obviously, I need to dose Alk and Ca. I don't run a skimmer, and I have live rock, purigen, and occasional carbon and phospban in a sock for filtration. I'm planning to quit carbon, phosban and purigen and I'm hoping to see similar results."

Comment from "blade1buster" on ebay: "Thank you for sending me the [HOG.5]... your product is great"

Comment from "Michael T": "The scrubber [HOG.5] is working great. It's amazing how it attracts all of that algae. It really was a great investment. I recommended it to all of my reefing buddies"

Comment from "BigAl07" on the Reef Sanctuary forum: "I've been running an Algae Scrubber on my work tank for months now. After using one I don't plan to run another tank long-term without one. I've reefed for several years and I admit I was more than just a little skeptical about this whole ATS thing. Well not any more. I installed the Santa Monica UAS (HOG.5) on my work tank and the tank has never looked better. I was close to giving up on this tank and tearing it down (It's been up and running here in my office 5+ years now) because I could not get the GHA under control. Because it's in my office it gets the least care/love of all my tanks I've ever owned. It's just a pain to come back to the office after hours to clean/maintain it. I now have zero GHA in this tank and only a small patch of receding Bryopsis in this tank and it's crystal clear. This all came about with NO changes other than the UAS. I didn't treat the tank or increase my water change regimen or anything. By growing the algae in an optimal environment (UAS) and then harvesting the growth I'm removing whatever the algae is feeding on in the main tank and exporting the growth from the system. I've noticed a slow-down in the GHA inside the UAS and I can only assume it's because the tank is more stable now and found it's equilibrium with the UAS installed."

Comment from Dennis B: "Letting you know that I really think the [HOG.5] scrubber you have is outstanding - really controls my phosphates - the #1 cause of uncontrolled algae growth and something that has really been an issue for me - until I added your unit. Also, helps with my nitrates, too! I have continued to suggest these units to fellow fish keepers - you really have a great unit due to its small size, little upkeep and great performance. Thanks again for creating this clever and so useful device! I really feel this is the best filter that anyone has produced in twenty years for tank upkeep."

Comment from "Clavius" in the Netherlands: "I've been running a 500 liter tank now for 5 years. It is very well stocked with SPS, LPS, softies, filter feeders and a modest amount of fish. The nutrients were being kept very low by a combination of a giant skimmer and the ZEOvit method. Off course, this results in very lightly coloured corals, which was my goal. Generally I'm very pleased with the colouring and growth of my corals, and please with my tank in general. But one battle I've always lost: brown algae covering my sandbed. I could not, for the life of me, find what was causing those algae. Not to mention solve it. I've tried many many things to solve it, but up untill recently, without luck.

Almost three weeks ago though, I installed a HOG.5 unit. It was a little experiment that I wanted to do ever since I learned about algae scrubbers. I was never creative enough to build one myself, as the space in my 100 ltr sump is very limited. The HOG.5 was affordable and tiny enough to enable my experiment. I could even fit 6 of those units in there with ease. Off course, with the ZEO-method, my nutrients already were really very low. I couldn't measure any NO3 or PO4 with my Salifert test kits. And I never bothered with more expensive kits; unmeasurable should be good enough. I wanted to see if the vitamins and amino acids that the algae scrubber produces would add anything to my reef. And, more importantly, if the algae would consume "something" that the brown algae on my sandbed require.

The result in my sandbed is staggering. After only 3 weeks, not a trace of the pesky brown algae is left! An extra benefit, that I didn't expect, is that my lightly coloured corals now all have noticably much more colour. Without getting darker. They seem to glow! I don't know if it is from the vitamins that are released in the water [from the algae scrubber]. Or maybe the ugly brown algae [on the sand] were also covering my corals and that I now finally seeing my uncovered corals! Strangely enough, the algae in my HOG.5 aren't light green, as you would expect with nutrient-poor tanks. But they're a mix of dark brown with red tints here and there. So, I have no idea why that is or how that works. But at this stage I'm just so happy that I really don't care."

SantaMonica
11-08-2014, 05:04 PM
"The [HOG.5] is working well" -- JT Powell

"Boom... 7 days growth from my HOG.5" -- rdevoe11 on the R2R site, pic:

SantaMonica
07-19-2015, 04:54 PM
Updated HOG.5 listing (finally after 3 years).

SantaMonica
09-04-2017, 03:02 PM
Michael Langerman loves guppies, and hand-made a nice little aquarium for them and put our HOG.5 on it to filter the water. The HOG.5 consumes ammonia and nitrate so you don't have to change the water, and it feeds the guppies too, so you don't have to buy food anymore. That's how algae works!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z9OR8pTcHs

Any of our HOG scrubbers without strings are good for freshwater guppy tanks; this includes:

HOG.5
HOG1
HOG1x
HOG1.3
HOG2

They can go on saltwater too, however our other HOG's with strings are for saltwater only.

Available at: http://www.santa-monica.cc/product.asp?itemid=21

Other HOG.5 videos:

HOG.5 - seven days growth after its its first cleaning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0K4UCp9_aA
HOG.5 - cleaning at nine days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0K4UCp9_aA

SantaMonica
02-14-2019, 01:19 PM
Another one for freshwater: This HOG.5 in a guppy tank makes food that is fed back to the guppies. Filtering and feeding all in one...

7761 7762 7763 7764 7765

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STzPzSJL454

SantaMonica
01-03-2020, 06:04 PM
This customer's HOG.5 show a rare pattern of growth only in the middle. The growth is Ulva Fasciata and is common in saltwater; it looks just like Easter basket grass and is probably the favorite food of tangs.

This scrubber would be too small to do enough filtering for a typical tank with tangs, but if the only purpose is to feed the tangs, then it would supply a good bit of food a few times a week, by opening the case and letting the tangs pull the growth off.

This customer also made larger holes in the case, but this is not required unless you want the growth to flow out and feed the fish automatically. Matter of fact, the fish will learn to pull the growth out of the holes themselves, and will thus auto-trim the growth, so that no cleaning or harvesting is ever needed by you.

This same auto-feeding process happens in freshwater, although the growth is the thinner Cladophora (angel hair) or Spirogyra growth which goldfish, guppies, and of course herbivores love.

SantaMonica
07-23-2021, 05:16 PM
Update: Since the Fusion 700 air pump is no longer available, the Danner AP-4 is now recommended for most scrubbers, except the SURF4 or 4x which can use a Danner AP-8, and the SURF8 which needs a large single-outlet pump.

Note that all HOG and DROP models have 1 air inlet, therefore the 2 outlets of the Danner AP-4 pump can be combined into 1 with a "T" or "Y" fitting, and this will give you a lot of air which can still be reduced with the control knob. If you don't want to combine the outlets, then the smaller Danner AP-3 pump has only 1 outlet, but it also does not have a control knob.

https://www.dannermfg.com/supreme-oxy-flo-low-volume-air-pumps

SantaMonica
08-01-2021, 09:26 PM
Growing some food, and doing some filtering, in freshwater with a HOG.5 scrubber

SantaMonica
09-23-2021, 05:21 PM
Peek-A-Boo the red shines through, when you look into the HOG.5

SantaMonica
10-13-2021, 04:37 PM

SantaMonica
01-15-2022, 02:11 PM
This HOG.5 with just a single LED light has been running in shallow saltwater, about 4 inches deep (probably because no deeper area was available), and you can see the waterline where growth occurs only below the line. Keeping the upper part above the waterline provides a benefit though... it keeps most of the salt spray inside the case, and make it more quiet too.

SantaMonica
03-25-2022, 08:18 PM
Here is a simple filtering/feeding setup for freshwater; it's either a HOG.5 or HOG1 and the fish will learn to pull algae out of the holes to eat.

SantaMonica
07-21-2023, 02:13 PM
This is a HOG.5 scrubber® that is newly installed; it is one LED, and a small Green Grabber® algae attachment area. Since it is shown here on a large sump, is can only be used to grow fresh food for feeding; it is too small for filtering this system. Keeping the top slightly above the waterline makes it more quiet and keeps most of the spray inside. There should also be a black shade cloth over half the light until some color of growth develops.

SantaMonica
01-29-2024, 12:54 PM
This small HOG.5 which is the same physical size as the HOG1 and HOG1x takes up little space inside sump cabinets. This Hog is probably too small to do real filtering on this larger tank but it can reduce your glass cleaning, and also grow live food, thus allowing you to use less packaged foods.