PDA

View Full Version : E-werd's UAS HOG test

E-werd
06-15-2012, 09:09 PM
I've been wanting to do one of these for a while, but the original model was a little too much for me. This new model is right up my alley, so I'm giving it a shot.

This is a 55 gallon tank with a pre-existing algae problem--not terrible, but not great. The container is an instant food dish, the screen is the recommended type. I did not have the means to scratch it up the preferred way, used a serrated knife and went all over it in all directions instead. I originally planned on using a 4-inch airstone, but it was a lot of weight and not particularly pretty. I strategically poked holes in air tube until I was happy with the output distribution. The bulb is an 11W CFL spotlight. The screen is about (minus corners and a finger cutout) 4.5-inch x 4.5-inch. I cut holes in bottom for intake (originally made for airstone) and in the top for output. Using relatively strong refrigerator magnets to hold it in place. The airpump is a roughly $8 pump from local chain pet store.

Placement may not be the best (among fanwort) but I don't have many options due to space restrictions and how I had to supply lighting.

SantaMonica
06-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice HOG.

If the growth is always dark after a few cleanings, a few more watts might help.

ruddybop
06-16-2012, 06:33 AM
I've been wanting to do one of these for a while, but the original model was a little too much for me. This new model is right up my alley, so I'm giving it a shot.

This is a 55 gallon tank with a pre-existing algae problem--not terrible, but not great. The container is an instant food dish, the screen is the recommended type. I did not have the means to scratch it up the preferred way, used a serrated knife and went all over it in all directions instead. I originally planned on using a 4-inch airstone, but it was a lot of weight and not particularly pretty. I strategically poked holes in air tube until I was happy with the output distribution. The bulb is an 11W CFL spotlight. The screen is about (minus corners and a finger cutout) 4.5-inch x 4.5-inch. I cut holes in bottom for intake (originally made for airstone) and in the top for output. Using relatively strong refrigerator magnets to hold it in place. The airpump is a roughly $8 pump from local chain pet store.

Placement may not be the best (among fanwort) but I don't have many options due to space restrictions and how I had to supply lighting.

Where did you find your magnets at ?

E-werd
06-16-2012, 09:46 AM
I think they came from a dollar store. I had to use 8 of them, 2 per corner. They are not REALLY strong, and won't be a permanent solution, but good enough for now. I vaguely remember seeing these at Kmart, too, but I'm not 100% on that.

E-werd
06-23-2012, 09:26 AM
I had to put this on hold until I can get a better light fixture for this, I'll probably end up rebuilding and getting LED's like SantaMonica's HOG, along with stronger magnets.

On a side note: did anybody notice an explosion in their pond snail population with this? I just took it out and there were at least 10 egg pods on it, and about 20 on the glass where it was hung. I have BB-sized snails ALL over the place now. Anybody got a couple clown loaches? :rolleyes:

E-werd
06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
I didn't want to create a new thread, but I can't change the title of this thread either. If this is wrong, please correct it as I am unable to do anything with it.

I was thinking on this and decided to make a change in my approach. I had a Tetra Whisper 20-30 sitting back there and figured I could use it. My initial idea was to cut the back off and replace it with acrylic and use LEDs, but I decided to take the less-invasive way first (kind of my favorite filter). I used a piece of reflective tin from another light and used the light fixture inside of it with my 11w CFL spotlight. The tin is bent at roughly 90-degrees and placed at the bottom. The same mesh and air tube from the HOG (air tube moved to back, air gets pushed through mesh) was placed directly into the filter groove. I zip-tied the light JUST RIGHT to my 48" T10 fixture so that it shines into the HOB at about 45-degrees, hopefully directly onto the tin, which should hopefully redirect it to the opposite side of the tin, then back again.

This filter has adjustable flow and is set a little lower than half way in order to let the bubbles do their job. I put at least 2 dozen pinholes in, but the majority of the bubbles are coming from the Q-Tip end shoved into the end... it's probably better that way, the sheer amount of microbubbles in incredible! The water flow seems to push it right across the grid.

This is a more realistic and less-invasive method for me right now, we'll see how it goes. I am thinking light will be the biggest issue. I may just get a mirror to place inside to redirect the light better.

E-werd
06-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Day 4, making some progress.

Bottom part (where growth is) I did not rough the inside of the holes initially, but after the picures I finished that up.

Left us the front light-side, right is the back (which gets reflection from the metal at the bottom).

E-werd
07-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Day 7

Getting thicker, particularly in front of the light. There seems to be a line about half way down, then it picks up in spots. I am thinking the bareness around half way is due to the reach of the light, but growth below that due to light reflection? I'll clean tomorrow and go from there.

Left front, right back.

SantaMonica
07-02-2012, 07:39 PM
There is a shadow where the light can't reach in.