PDA

View Full Version : Ruddybop's 2nd UAS Inspired By Kerry... :)

ruddybop
06-24-2012, 10:35 AM
So after seeing (((((Kerry's)))))) Marina S15 HOB Filter/Scrubber I decided to make one of my own. This is great for a 10 or 15 Gallon tank and I do have one at work in my office. Thanks for the idea Kerry...

Here are some pics of my design and light set up for it. I have had it running for about a week now, but there is another scrubber in this tank so it just has a hint of growth.

The first two are without the light guard on the bubbler

Here I have a plastic guard so the algae stays off the bubbler

The rest are my light design and cooling fan installation. I found some old exercise mach and used the plastic guard to make a box. Cut it to size in my table saw and glued it together with Weld On 16 for acrylics and other plastics. These smaller computer fans have a tendency to scream pretty loud so I'm using a 9v power supply instead of 12v and the little sucker is spinning nice with just 9 volts.

SantaMonica
06-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Love that rate of bubbles :)

kerry
06-25-2012, 08:11 AM
I like it!! I hope to get mine going soon.

ruddybop
06-25-2012, 03:38 PM
I like it!! I hope to get mine going soon.

Thanks Kerry... All I have left to do is paint the clear HOB black so it keeps the light from glaring in the tank... :)

ruddybop
06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Love that rate of bubbles :)

That pump I have really puts them out... :)

HeavyTy
06-27-2012, 11:52 AM
which pump are you using? im currently using one from wal mart

ruddybop
06-27-2012, 01:05 PM
which pump are you using? im currently using one from wal mart

EcoPlus Commercial Air Pump 5 --$70.47 with tax. 120v 80Watts 4.2 PSI, 3/8" ID Tube size, Single Outlet 88 Liter/min (3.11 CFM)

It also runs my scrubber in 55G. I have adjusting valves on it so I can control the amount I want.

alex leblanc
06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Could it work with a ac500? Is the plastic from this filter is as dark as a AC500?

ruddybop
06-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Could it work with a ac500? Is the plastic from this filter is as dark as a AC500?

These Marina HOBs are almost clear. I think Kerry is using a darker plastic filter, but I'm not sure on the success rate he is having.

Check out Kerry's UAS HOB project....

kerry
06-27-2012, 02:16 PM
I am using a HOB with a slight tint to and the LED performance is just fine.

ruddybop
06-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Just a quick photo for about the 8th day on a clean screen. Notice the bubbles in the pic they swirl from the water pump pushing the water through. There is better growth were the bubbles swirl.
Not as much growth were the bubbles get pushed away.

kerry
06-28-2012, 04:50 AM
Thats looking pretty good Sir.

ruddybop
07-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Thats looking pretty good Sir.

Thanks Kerry....

Day 12

Screen growth

Without the bubbles

kerry
07-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Getting better every week.

Bobba
07-03-2012, 05:25 PM
ruddybop,
Very interested in your HOB setup. New to scrubbers and currently trying one of SM's HOG.5's. I like the idea of a HOB to preserve a more minimalistic view of the tank. I f you don't mind me asking,what size screen fits the Marina S15 and what are you using for a bubbler?

ruddybop
07-03-2012, 05:50 PM
ruddybop,
Very interested in your HOB setup. New to scrubbers and currently trying one of SM's HOG.5's. I like the idea of a HOB to preserve a more minimalistic view of the tank. I f you don't mind me asking,what size screen fits the Marina S15 and what are you using for a bubbler?

Well I kinda modified the S15... It has 3 filter cartridges... I cut out the center brackets out with a Dremmel so I had one screen 4 1/2" x 7" ... You don't have to cut the filter brackets out and the three filters that come with the unit give you a template for 3 small screens that = my size screen.

The bubbler is 1/4"OD black firm but flexible water line that I drilled 2 rows .012" drill about 1/8" to 3/16" apart. Put a rubber cap on one end and a hose barb on the other..(I eyeballed it with my small drill press)

I then made a plastic piece to keep the light off of the bubbler so the algae doesn't grow on it.

They also make a S20 for 20Gallon..

Look at Kerry's build...He has the same S15 with three screens, but I can't remember what page it's on... :)

Black tubing

http://www.lowes.com/pd_208025-13598-016010T_4294935907__?productId=3136421&Ntt=tubing&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dtubing&facetInfo=

Bobba
07-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I see they also sell an S10 thats somewhat smaller. I believe it has 1 filter slot. Would you happen to know the individual filter slot dimensions? Your bubbles really seem to hug the screen well. The bubbles in my HOG.5 seem to just bend the screen backwards.

ruddybop
07-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I see they also sell an S10 thats somewhat smaller. I believe it has 1 filter slot. Would you happen to know the individual filter slot dimensions? Your bubbles really seem to hug the screen well. The bubbles in my HOG.5 seem to just bend the screen backwards.

About 2 1/4" x 5 3/8" yes the S10 has one filter..

S15=3
S20=4

ruddybop
07-03-2012, 06:26 PM
You also want the one that best matches your tank size GPH.....Cycling your scrubber.IMO... You could always put say with the S15 one scrubber in the middle with a filter on each side.

You would have to make a light blocker so the algae doesn't grow on the filters.....

Bobba
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I would really like to add an overflow/sump and build a diy scrubber. Cost and converting my current configuration (stand, lights, etc..) may not be easily feasible. I will probably wait to see the results of the HOG.5 before making a decision which way to go. I really like your setup and appreciate the info!

ruddybop
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
I would really like to add an overflow/sump and build a diy scrubber. Cost and converting my current configuration (stand, lights, etc..) may not be easily feasible. I will probably wait to see the results of the HOG.5 before making a decision which way to go. I really like your setup and appreciate the info!

Your very welcome...and good luck in which type you choose..... :)

SantaMonica
07-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Bending the screen backwards is fine. It means the bubbles are hitting the screen.

ruddybop
07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Bending the screen backwards is fine. It means the bubbles are hitting the screen.

SM.. I think I know what he means... I have a scrubber on my 15G and the bubbles with the water flow on one side push the screen back slightly at an angle and the bubbles don't even touch the screen.. with less algae growth...

ruddybop
07-04-2012, 04:47 AM

Your welcome and thanks for the compliment on my setup....

MorganAtlanta
07-04-2012, 05:42 AM
SM.. I think I know what he means... I have a scrubber on my 15G and the bubbles with the water flow on one side push the screen back slightly at an angle and the bubbles don't even touch the screen.. with less algae growth...

I looped a zip tie through the screen that touches the back wall of the enclosure to keep the screen tilted slightly forward. I got very little growth before I did that.

ruddybop
07-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I looped a zip tie through the screen that touches the back wall of the enclosure to keep the screen tilted slightly forward. I got very little growth before I did that.

Ah yes that will work. Then the bubbles will follow the screen instead of pushing it back....

traxiii
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks Kerry... All I have left to do is paint the clear HOB black so it keeps the light from glaring in the tank... :)

WHat about using a reflective coating on the back side so as to bounce the light back to the other side of the screen?

traxiii
07-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Ordered a Marina S20 from Amazon, picked up a sheet of screen from the yardage/craft store, looking forward to adding it onto my 29gal sump, between the H1 fluidized bed and the return pumps. It's on a just cycled 100gal display tank I'm hoping to keep nitrates well below 5ppm and keep Discus with fewer water changes. The HOB is scheduled for delivery next Tues. I plan to post pics when I do the install. Thanks for the inspiration!

ruddybop
07-06-2012, 10:43 AM
WHat about using a reflective coating on the back side so as to bounce the light back to the other side of the screen?

Kerry made a great suggestion also and it has room for a small led set up on the back between the tank and the filter. I think he said there is 1 1/4" between the filter and tank....

I have this on a 10G tank so I only need one side for the amount of feeding I do.

Thanks for the suggestion though. A reflective coating would work for a little bit until the algae grew and blocked the light...

ruddybop
07-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Ordered a Marina S20 from Amazon, picked up a sheet of screen from the yardage/craft store, looking forward to adding it onto my 29gal sump, between the H1 fluidized bed and the return pumps. It's on a just cycled 100gal display tank I'm hoping to keep nitrates well below 5ppm and keep Discus with fewer water changes. The HOB is scheduled for delivery next Tues. I plan to post pics when I do the install. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cool.....good luck with your scrubber and don't forget to post your outcome once you get it running.... :)

traxiii
07-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Kerry made a great suggestion also and it has room for a small led set up on the back between the tank and the filter. I think he said there is 1 1/4" between the filter and tank....

I have this on a 10G tank so I only need one side for the amount of feeding I do.

Thanks for the suggestion though. A reflective coating would work for a little bit until the algae grew and blocked the light... I was wondering if the side of the filter had to be cleaned after a while?

ruddybop
07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
I was wondering if the side of the filter had to be cleaned after a while?

Yes the algae grows on the inside of the clear plastic. I just take a paper towel and wipe it off every now and then....

kerry
07-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I hit mine with a tooth brush ever couple to few days as it wants to grow algae on the lighted sides as well as the other sides too.

traxiii
07-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Started up my S20 Up-flow conversion this morning. I'm using two 12" Stunner LEDs I had for my Display tank, one white and one magenta on opposite sides. I used some white plastic for temporary reflectors. All else is proven stuff, the plastic canvas from Jo Ann's an old air pump and 10" long air "stone" and 2" wide blue painters tape holding it all together. I know it's only 12 watts of LED lighting, but if it works, I'll be making something more permanent out of acrylic. It draws water out of the sump after the fluidized H1 media, and dumps it into the return pump, sump area. Only looking to keep the nitrates down in the display tanks, and maybe use a little less water.

I think I'm going to get a Santa Monica .5 for my 29g to do the same thing. Heck it might handle the entire filter duties as I only have 2 angels, a guppy, a sword, 4 dwarf loaches, and 5 baby BNP.

ruddybop
07-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Started up my S20 Up-flow conversion this morning. I'm using two 12" Stunner LEDs I had for my Display tank, one white and one magenta on opposite sides. I used some white plastic for temporary reflectors. All else is proven stuff, the plastic canvas from Jo Ann's an old air pump and 10" long air "stone" and 2" wide blue painters tape holding it all together. I know it's only 12 watts of LED lighting, but if it works, I'll be making something more permanent out of acrylic. It draws water out of the sump after the fluidized H1 media, and dumps it into the return pump, sump area. Only looking to keep the nitrates down in the display tanks, and maybe use a little less water.

I think I'm going to get a Santa Monica .5 for my 29g to do the same thing. Heck it might handle the entire filter duties as I only have 2 angels, a guppy, a sword, 4 dwarf loaches, and 5 baby BNP.

Cool.... You will have to start a new thread of your project.... :)

ruddybop
09-09-2012, 06:18 AM
So I haven't posted on this project in a while... Fresh Water 10Gallon 3 1/2" x 7" screen / one 23watt cfl with mirror/reflectors..

Every time I check Nitrates they are still around 20ppm... So it's been about 3 months at 20 with no water changes just adding water. All other water test are good..

Question::: If it stays at 20ppm then the algae scrubber is stable keeping the water Nitrate down.

If I do some partial water changes to drop the nitrate down the scrubber should keep the Nitrate down with a lower ppm.. (I think)

Do ya think I should try this? Or will it go back up in time to 20ppm after I get it lowered with water change?

kerry
09-09-2012, 08:18 AM
I think it would creep back up IMO. You could bump up the hours of light and see if that helps. I think a steady 20 is AWESOME!!!! Good job on that FW success!!!!

SantaMonica
09-09-2012, 09:09 AM
It will creep back up to an equilibrium point.

ruddybop
09-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks SM & Kerry ... I will try more/longer light and see what happens.... :)