PDA

View Full Version : New Screen Material

SantaMonica
06-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Well after months of figuring out what are the best attributes are for a scrubber screen, and also after getting reports from hundreds of people as to what screen material worked best for them, I think I've come up with a material that is perfect for the job. I'm offering this screen for free to anyone who wants to try it (just pay shipping). Here are some pics, and some advantages, to this material:

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/ScreenFlex.jpg

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/ScreenThickness.jpg

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/ScreenFinger.jpg

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/ScreenRigid.jpg

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/ScreenCloseup.jpg

It's Clear Plastic: This allows light from one side of the screen to shine through to the other side. For a (new) two-sided screen, this means both sides of the screen get light from both bulbs; for one-sided screens, it means the dark side will still get some light from the bulb on the other side.

It's Thick: 1/4 inch (6mm). This allows much more room for algae to grip to, so washings/cleanings will not strip all the algae (no matter how hard you scrub). For total algae removal, you can just use a hair brush to push all the algae completely out. If you already have a pipe that is cut for canvas (usually a 1/8" or 3mm slot), you'll need to widen it to 5/16" (8mm).

It Flows Through: Since the screen is not solid, it allows algae from both sides to attach to each other in the middle, thus giving the algae even greater holding-power during cleanings and high flow.

It's Semi-Rigid: This gives a small screen enough strength to hold up a pipe by itself, and gives large screens the ability to prevent waviness, and from flopping out of position.

It's Bendable: You can put a large screen in a small sink for cleaning; it also is possible to bend the screen into a circular-screen configuration (i.e., inside a bucket.)

It Holds Roughness (after you rough it up). Attack it with 30 grit sandpaper, wire brushes, power sanders, etc, and the roughness will stay. Give yourself about one hour to rough up both sides.

It's Sturdy: It resists hard cleanings, even if you use fingernails, credit cards, or razors.

It's Reef Safe: Is made of standard hard-plastic material.

It can be used as-is for vertical screens, or it can be glued to a solid plastic sheet for horizontal screens (the sheet keeps water from flowing through the screen.)

So if anyone wants to try it, the screens I'm starting out with are a little smaller than a square foot; they are about 11.5" X 11.5" (29cm X 29cm). If you need two of these sheets to fit your scrubber, let me know. I'll keep the packing and shipping cost the same for everyone, $10 USD, including international. Paypal is easiest, but whatever works. PM me.

kcress
06-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Looks pretty good!

I'd try one but they're too dang short. :cry:

Rumpy Pumpy
06-12-2009, 06:39 AM
As a matter of interest, what's it usually used for?

SantaMonica
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Many things... construction, aircraft, refrigeration.

Rumpy Pumpy
06-12-2009, 02:20 PM
what is it? some kind of insulation?

I wonder if it could be formed into or around a cylinder?

I have an idea to install a rotating cylinder in a sump which would spend half of the time submerged and half in the air.

SantaMonica
06-12-2009, 09:59 PM
It's not insulation, it's just rigid plastic.

You could bend it into a large circle, or a smaller circle if you heated it.

ShanGo
06-14-2009, 03:51 PM
santa can you plz supply 10" w and 12" h times 2 to the uk can you pm me what it will cost

SantaMonica
06-14-2009, 05:29 PM
I can't cut it. I had it pre-made at 11.5 X 11.5, which would fit the most people. You would have to cut it yourself, then rough it up (takes about an hour). It's free for evaluation, just pay $10 packing and shipping.

ShanGo
06-15-2009, 12:05 AM
I can't cut it. I had it pre-made at 11.5 X 11.5, which would fit the most people. You would have to cut it yourself, then rough it up (takes about an hour). It's free for evaluation, just pay $10 packing and shipping.
i need 2 of them is that possible

worley
06-15-2009, 02:32 AM
Shango: it would be interesting if you tried the normal plastic canvas on one and this stuff on the other (get two anyhow) for say a month and see how they compare, it should be a pretty scientific test if both are running with the same flow and lighting. If one clearly outperforms the other you can swap one over.
I personally would like to try it too, but I have a feeling that on a single sided horizonal/sloped scrubber it may be too thick to get the water to flow over the top evenly?

Santamonica: have you tried laying it on a glass panel (so there's no space behind it) on a slope and running water over it?

SantaMonica
06-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Not yet.

Aquagold
06-18-2009, 03:23 AM
Put me down for a couple of sheets.
Need to work out Paypal now.....

I will try it with the canvas and see how it goes.
Will have to after 14 August when I get back from Cambodia though.

Will get and email of to you.

Robbie

SantaMonica
08-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Update: Results of new screen material?

It's been a while now, so let's hear some feedback on how the new screen material worked. I'm most interested in if it ripped when it got heavy with algae. Other people want to get the material too, but I need to make sure it works before I can recommend it.