PDA

View Full Version : New screen attachment method

CHOMPERS
06-14-2009, 09:51 PM
I came up with this to ensure that both sides of the screen get equal amounts of water. So far, it looks like it is working well. The tank divider material comes with two stainless clips made of wire. I rebent them and cut them to size.

CHOMPERS
06-14-2009, 09:54 PM
...when all three were done, I put them in the slot and then added the screen. It is held in by friction and the clips keep it evenly centered in the slot.

kcress
06-15-2009, 12:06 AM
Metal??! Pretty gutsy. Unless this is freshwater.

worley
06-15-2009, 02:21 AM
Are the metal clips to stop the slot sagging in the middle?
If so, there's a REALLY easy way to stop this...
After cutting the initial slot, get your Dremel (etc.) and simply run it down the slot again and it'll give you an even slot all the way down (took me a few attempts the first time to realise this one!)
Or are you doing it so that they act as spacers? If so, you could simply tie a cable tie over the top of the screen (from just under where it slots in, loop over the top and back down through the screen on the other side) in the same positions and it should push the slot apart evenly, and no metal issues!

CHOMPERS
06-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Yep, I'm pretty guttsy. ;) It is stainless steel, but I don't know if it is 420 or 316 (probably 420). I doubt it really matters though.

If there is any corrosion, the nickle or iron will only be in trace amounts. Besides, the scrubber is excellent at removing metals, right?

CHOMPERS
06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Or are you doing it so that they act as spacers? If so, you could simply tie a cable tie over the top of the screen (from just under where it slots in, loop over the top and back down through the screen on the other side) in the same positions and it should push the slot apart evenly, and no metal issues!
Yep, spacers. Their job is to keep the screen in the middle of the slot. I'll look into the cable ties. I have some small ones but I'm not sure if they are small enough.