PDA

View Full Version : jaczal UAS without air bubbles

jaczal
09-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Hello!
I really liked the concept of UAS, so I started testing this solution. The movement of water with air bubbles caused by the screen is for me, one drawback. Too much air noise. For this reason I gave the screen of returning water to the aquarium.
Below are links to photos of the prototype.

For lighting I used 1 meter SMD3528 LED strip light pink.

Screen away from the light 3 cm after 7 days.

Screen removed after 14 days to scrape.
It seems to me that algal growth is satisfactory, so proceeded to build the destination UAS located in the sump. Of course, the flow of water on the screen is created by the water returning to the aquarium.

PS Sorry for the style of writing, but I'm using a translator.

SantaMonica
09-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Very nice.

Floyd R Turbo
09-23-2012, 10:59 PM
So it appears that the submerged screen works after all - without the bubbles.

kotlec
09-24-2012, 12:32 AM
cool !

jaz
09-24-2012, 03:44 AM
Very interesting, im not surprised as algae can grow quite nicely in a display tank without bubbles.
I've been struggling with my uas for awhile now and have suspected that the screen is not getting enough water movement, I don't think the bubbles moving past the screen can move the same amount of water that a waterfall scrubber can do, resulting in less nutrients being delivered to the algae. I've recently added a power head to my sump directing more flow towards the screen as an experiment to see if it increases growth.
Out of curiosity do you know how much flow is going past your screen?

jaczal
09-25-2012, 03:28 AM
In parallel, I have installed AS, and recently compared the performance growth of algae.
AS
White light (3000K smd5050 LED strip) 0.77 W / 1 inch square
Mass of the collected algae 0.5942 g / 1 inch square
UAS
Light pink (SMD3528 LED strip) 0.1677 W / 1 inch square
Mass of the collected algae 0.6735 g / 1 inch square
As you can see algae growth was greater in the UAS of 13.3% at a much lower power consumption.
The prototype UAS have the water flow 7.5 liters / 1 minute

felps
09-25-2012, 05:54 AM
Is the screen fully submerged?

jaczal
09-25-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm completely immersed the screen. It has a dimension of 13 cm by 14 cm. The light from one side.

bjgil
09-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I am confused. How is this a UAS? Isnt this more like a submerged waterfall scrubber?

Floyd R Turbo
09-26-2012, 07:58 PM
In parallel, I have installed AS, and recently compared the performance growth of algae.
AS
White light (3000K smd5050 LED strip) 0.77 W / 1 inch square
Mass of the collected algae 0.5942 g / 1 inch square
UAS
Light pink (SMD3528 LED strip) 0.1677 W / 1 inch square
Mass of the collected algae 0.6735 g / 1 inch square
As you can see algae growth was greater in the UAS of 13.3% at a much lower power consumption.
The prototype UAS have the water flow 7.5 liters / 1 minute

This is not a very fair comparison, however, because your light sources are different. The white LED 3000K light is not comparable to fluorescent because of the source of light, which is mercury based in fluorescent then shifted with phosphors, so there is a lot of red and blue, vs LEDs which are element based and for 3000K white have very little if any red or blue component. Then your pink probably has a lot more red component to it.

The true test would be to use the same light source on both, then at least you would have more of an apples-to-apples comparison.

Just sayin.

SantaMonica
09-26-2012, 08:46 PM
It is a UAS because when the incoming water hits the surface it makes bubbles which turn around and go back up.

Floyd R Turbo
09-26-2012, 09:27 PM
I am confused. How is this a UAS? Isnt this more like a submerged waterfall scrubber?

I think it's neither. It's a flow-through scrubber maybe. Basically like mine without the bubbles. Makes me wonder if I should unplug the bubbler and crank up the flow.

bjgil
09-27-2012, 04:31 AM
I have one of SantaMonicas HOG UAS but my problem is the noise from the air pump is too loud for the location of my tank. I have one more DIY experiment to quiet the pump but if it does not work I am intrested in trying this. Could I point a maxijet 1200 at the bottom of the HOG UAS to create enough flow through it? I could also hook up the venturi to the maxi jet if bubbles are needed.

kerry
09-27-2012, 04:46 AM
I have a horizontal that is half submerged and the submerged parts grows algae to the surface then it spreads out like a mushroom. I dont know what to call it. There is a koralia pump on the other side of the tank (10G pod breeder) that fans the submerged algae strands. Its no two sided screen but for no water changes in a year it speaks for itself. I have thought about submerging the whole screen like the uas is.

jaczal
09-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Basically, I gave the performance comparison of algae cultivation as a curiosity in my system. I want to replace AS a new solution, so I made a comparison to choose the best solution.
As for the name of my washer is partly meets the criteria for UAS and did not see the need come up with their own names. But in terms of the development of the idea, not the names.
As regards air bubbles, it Santamonika rightly pointed out that flowing water forces air into the water column and the bubbles flowing on the screen. For this reason, both the prototype and the target solution built water flows from a height of about 2 inches. To mute the side of the sump. I have the same effect in the chimney where the water flows down from a height of 3 inches into the air forcing up to 10 inches.

jaczal
10-28-2012, 04:32 AM
Drawer with screens and jet water is already completed.
It does not look professionally done because the structure of materjałów of recovery.
Next to the details of construction photos of screens.
Construction of the nozzle. Dismantles for easy cleaning.
To illustrate the full view of the filter from the water in the sump and out. Of course, temporarily suspended the photos.
The lamp is waiting for electrical connections and corrosion protection. LED tape applied pink ZMD 3528, 300 LED / 5m.
Maturation of the screens in the aquarium, for now only three days.

jaczal
11-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Today, November 18 is out of service Algaescrubber. Worked for two years with no downtime and failure - a successful design.
However, advances in technology eliminates the outdated structures and time for new solutions.
Screens already so overgrown with algae that I decided to run the filter, the more the model is still supported. Now it remains to refine the nozzle velocity and quantity of the water. Jet went down, because it turned out that the waterfall is too loud - it will be with the nozzle a bit of fun, but to learn about.

jaczal
11-26-2012, 03:38 AM
It's been a week since the launch. Yield water flow set at 7.7 liters / minute. Screens nicely overgrown with algae, but not yet cleaned. I'll wait another week. Model continues to work together with the prototype. On photo screen before scraping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yp-MqcwJvk

kotlec
11-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Are LEDs pink or mix of blue and red ? How deep screen is immersed ? Is it loud ?

jaczal
11-26-2012, 01:58 PM
The screens have a height of 19 cm and width 32 cm total. At the moment work is almost noiseless. LED ribbon color pink.

cilenez
11-28-2012, 05:51 AM
i think this will work very well in my set up i am planning...

jaczal
12-01-2012, 12:00 PM
It's been two weeks since launch. Today scrape both screens because they were uneven growth of algae. Some had a length of about 3 cm in the other areas of 1 cm. Zauwarzyłem also that I had grown on the glass algae where there is water running down the glass. Wine is a nozzle, as applied in the middle of the distribution node. I do die as early going, it means that water flowed evenly over the width of the glass.
In the pictures you can see the light from the screen and the casing. As you can see the dark side are growths of algae from the light scattered and reflected.

PS Would you please pass me by someone familiar on how to insert pictures in the text, not as an attachment.

SantaMonica
12-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Try using advance mode... more picture options are there.

kotlec
12-02-2012, 03:24 AM
There you go

OK I figured it out finaly. Youtube sometimes can be best your friend :)

If any one is interested, you need:

1. click upload photos, when in album mode
2. upload pictures as normaly
3. from upper window drag and drop to lower window like you do with attachments.
4. click done
5. next window opens.
6. click save changes.
7.thats it. Now you can open picture form album window. In the lower corner you will see code for attaching picture to post directly. No external services required anymore.
Like this :

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1803&d=1331847118

jaczal
12-16-2012, 12:22 PM
A week ago I set lighting displays in the cycle - four hours ON, four hours off
http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2318-Production-within-dense-mats-of-the-filamentous-macroalga-Chaetomorpha
Post # 5
  Today I took out the screens scraping and I'm not happy with the results. Poor growth, and the left screen that was scraped last week has a slightly brown color.
I went back to light 10 hours a night.

@ kotlec - I tried to understand how to paste the pictures, but I do not understand YoyTube enough to do it. Thank you.

kotlec
12-17-2012, 04:13 AM
You just click your picture icon in album mode and it opens big size picture. You will find BB code under it. Copy and paste it here.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3697&d=1355688954

jaczal
12-18-2012, 03:37 AM
But YouTube does not have the ability to insert photos. So do you remember what album?

kotlec
12-18-2012, 03:44 AM
Album is here on this site. You have to create one (or10) and then upload pictures to that album as per my previous post.

I searched YouTube for video instruction how to do that, not to share my pics :)

jaczal
12-18-2012, 05:46 AM
http://algaescrubber.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3707&d=1355836988

@kotlec - Thank you for your help.
How to insert a thumbnail?

kotlec
12-18-2012, 08:19 AM
What do you mean by thumbnail?
You just have done that 4 post up.

Might be this helps :

http://youtu.be/zeAap2YNoeE

jaczal
01-04-2013, 04:23 AM
On Sunday 30/12/2012 scratched the screen and checked the amount of algae. Scraping algae were rinsed to obtain as pure water, and then drained to the wet state (as it did previously, a description of # 6). I got 0.887 g / 1 square inch.
I think this is a good result.
I wonder what sets attain their screens for 1 square inch.

Below is a screen with a model that continues to keep the sump but without forced flow. Only lighting. Interestingly, after two weeks of growth of algae have from 2 to 3 cm, and no dead zones with dead algae.
http://algaescrubber.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3802&d=1357301618

jaczal
01-24-2013, 02:08 AM
It is a pity that nobody wants give algae which has the performance of 1 square inch of the screen.

kotlec
01-24-2013, 02:15 AM
Jaczal, it is very hard to understand what you saying. Google translate is not always giving desired results.

I thing that's why you are not getting big response.

yanton
02-03-2013, 02:38 PM
there is an interesting concept here to explore, the problem of noise with 'top of the tank' scrubbers. gets the mind churning. a quiet, silent scrubber (as it is entirely underwater with no air pump) is appealing.

Floyd R Turbo
02-08-2013, 09:23 AM
there is an interesting concept here to explore, the problem of noise with 'top of the tank' scrubbers. gets the mind churning. a quiet, silent scrubber (as it is entirely underwater with no air pump) is appealing.

My scrubbers can be rigged up with a gate valve on the drain as they have a secondary drain and run dead silent and no bubbles.

jaczal
02-17-2013, 01:22 AM
I'm sorry, I do not know English.
To są ekrany po trzech tygodniach od ostatniego czyszczenia.
http://algaescrubber.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4006&d=1361092580

Film z pracy mojej konstrukcji filtra. Praca bardzo cicha, po zamknięciu szafki nie słychać jego pracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSYwFqDr0WU

Floyd R Turbo
02-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Via google translator

These are released after three weeks since the last cleaning.

Video of my design work filter. Working very quiet, after the close of the cabinet did not hear his work.