PDA

View Full Version : HOG1

SantaMonica
02-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Get the no-overflow advantage of an upflow scrubber: since it is ALL underwater, it can't overflow onto your floor.

The HOG1, with 24 square inches growth surface, magnets with 3X the holding power for up to 1/2" glass or acrylic, and filtering for up to 1 cube per day, all in the same size package as the HOG.5 for $149.99 USD. 1 year warranty.

HOG1 gets unboxed and installed by Premium Aquatics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oWedD-WWX8

Comments:

"The HOG1 it's the same thing [as a SURF2] on a smaller scale, it depends on the amount of food that you distribute" -- Eric75003 on the RF site

"Implementing the [HOG1] was really easy. My water parameters have not changed since turning my skimmer off. I'm still at 0 Nitrates and .00 phosphate, and I'm still feeding twice a day approximately 2 frozen cubes" -- bpitts2 on the INDMAS site:
http://www.algaescrubber.net/UasBpitts2onINDMAS-1.jpg

"This [HOG1] is going great guns, so I ordered another one yesterday. I have seen plenty of pods hanging around the one in the sump too. Is definately dealing with my nutrients, though I havent changed water in ages and my water is at really stable low nutrients". -- Bangalang on the MASA site.

"I love the [HOG1] and in the short time it was on the tank its positive impact was without question" -- Joseph Grillo

"The scrubber worked great. I may be checking out your new surface scrubbers for a new tank once I move into our new house" -- Zack Shaffner

"Growing thick green hair algae that I have to clean every week no matter what; It is doing a great job at keeping phosphates at 0.00. I am extremely satisfied with the product!! I have recommended it to numerous people and I plan to buy as many more as I need when I upgrade my tank in the next few months." -- Derrick Dawsey

Selection chart:
http://algaescrubber.net/WhichOne.jpg

SantaMonica
02-26-2013, 08:01 PM
The HOG1 is now available Here (http://www.santa-monica.cc/Hang-On-Glass-HOG-Upflow-Algae-Scrubber-UAS-with-Green-Grabber-surface--1-Cube-feeding-per-day--MAGNET-VERSION_p_36.html)

yanton
02-27-2013, 02:05 PM
looks a great improvement. i purchased the .5 model but could not use it as my aquarium glass is too thick. keen to try out this model. some good improvements.

SmokeyNite
04-04-2013, 05:24 PM
Got my replacement scrubber today and am very happy with it! However, I have a whisper 40 for it. Is that not strong enough? I can always return it if need be!
Thanks a lot!!

SantaMonica
04-04-2013, 06:48 PM
I have not used one, but it's 2.9 watts and good for the HOG.5. However I've tried other 2.2w or 3.0w watt pumps and they were not enough for the HOG1. So if you can, get a larger Whisper, up to the 150.

SmokeyNite
04-09-2013, 09:05 PM
So, I got the Whisper 150 and have had the HOG 1 up and running with the lights on for 12 hours for 5 days now, but there is nothing growing yet. The algae still grows like crazy in my tank. I have tried to make sure the bubbles are flowing over all of it. Is there anything else I can do to help the growth?

SantaMonica
04-10-2013, 11:36 AM
18 hours.

SmokeyNite
04-14-2013, 02:50 PM
got it up to 18 hours, but nothing yet. The bubbles don't seem to be flowing over the whole thing, no matter how I position it. It's like they escape from the tubing at the first slit and none of the air makes it all the way across. :(

SantaMonica
04-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Tuck the first tubing segment under each other, and open the segment further away. Also, tilt the whole unit.

SmokeyNite
06-02-2013, 10:40 AM
So, I've had my scrubber up and running for more than a month at 18 hours a day, and I do get some algae growth, but nothing crazy. I am still getting algae in the tank. I have the HOG on the side of my tank. Should I move it to somewhere else on the tank??

SantaMonica
06-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Is the growth black, and are the non-growth areas white?

SantaMonica
09-24-2013, 06:47 PM
"I love the [HOG1] and in the short time it was on the tank its positive impact was without question" -- Joseph Grillo

SantaMonica
03-31-2014, 06:10 PM
One year of running on FW:
http://youtu.be/Clw-zFrVU1s

SantaMonica
07-07-2014, 09:17 PM
"Great looking device, great instructions, very very happy" -- Pygmey on the R2R site.

SantaMonica
07-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Pic from Mlandscape:

SantaMonica
08-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Pic from Thomas Rosdahl:

SantaMonica
09-28-2014, 06:55 PM
"The algae scrubber [HOG1] is working great; is consistantly growing a nice batch" -- Morgan Kelsey

Also, here is a pic of Alessandro Tento's HOG1x:

SantaMonica
11-08-2014, 11:52 AM
"[HOG1] is working incredible well. Went from constant algae outbreaks (3-4 per year), to no algae at all. 10 yr old 250 gal reef tank, started developing blooms at year 7. Nothing else worked, even breakdown and rebuilds." -- Joe Lopez

"Everything is working great, got two of them [HOG1, HOG1x] on my system" -- Kenneth Salomon

SantaMonica
11-22-2015, 04:54 PM
"The HOG1 it's the same thing [as a SURF2] on a smaller scale, it depends on the amount of food that you distribute" -- Eric75003 on the RF site

"Implementing the [HOG1] was really easy. My water parameters have not changed since turning my skimmer off. I'm still at 0 Nitrates and .00 phosphate, and I'm still feeding twice a day approximately 2 frozen cubes" -- bpitts2 on the INDMAS site:
http://www.algaescrubber.net/UasBpitts2onINDMAS-1.jpg

"This [HOG1] is going great guns, so I ordered another one yesterday. I have seen plenty of pods hanging around the one in the sump too. Is definately dealing with my nutrients, though I havent changed water in ages and my water is at really stable low nutrients". -- Bangalang on the MASA site.

SantaMonica
08-19-2018, 03:45 PM
HOG1 gets unboxed and installed by Premium Aquatics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oWedD-WWX8

SantaMonica
02-10-2019, 05:49 PM
This is a customer's HOG1 or 1x in saltwater... you can't tell which one because the Green Grabber rocks are the same on both; only the lights are different (X mean Xtra led's) and you can't see how many led's there are. Also, this is not packed green hair algae, and it is not black slime; it is somewhere in the middle... sort of a light green slime which still absorbs nutrients out of the water as long as you harvest it by brushing it out in your sink. Overall it's a compact little area to keep algae in, so less algae grows in your tank.

SantaMonica
06-22-2019, 05:00 PM
Here's a customer's HOG1 or 1x in saltwater, although it's also fine with freshwater because is does not have strings. The growth should eventually spread to the sides after a few more cleanings.

This amount growth is about average for saltwater. New tanks will usually be much less, and more of a brownish slime; older tanks can get thick sometimes, and fill up the compartment (but not always).

SantaMonica
06-09-2021, 03:34 PM

SantaMonica
07-23-2021, 05:15 PM
Update: Since the Fusion 700 air pump is no longer available, the Danner AP-4 is now recommended for most scrubbers, except the SURF4 or 4x which can use a Danner AP-8, and the SURF8 which needs a large single-outlet pump.

Note that all HOG and DROP models have 1 air inlet, therefore the 2 outlets of the Danner AP-4 pump can be combined into 1 with a "T" or "Y" fitting, and this will give you a lot of air which can still be reduced with the control knob. If you don't want to combine the outlets, then the smaller Danner AP-3 pump has only 1 outlet, but it also does not have a control knob.

https://www.dannermfg.com/supreme-oxy-flo-low-volume-air-pumps

SantaMonica
09-05-2021, 09:02 PM
This looks like a HOG1 from high nutrient saltwater. After a few weekly brushings, the dark growth should start turning lighter, and the growth ring should fill in...

SantaMonica
10-13-2021, 04:35 PM

SantaMonica
12-20-2021, 09:13 PM
New photos of HOG1 show black tubing. Also visible is the roughed up rim, which holds better to the glass.

SantaMonica
12-30-2021, 10:14 PM
Two smaller HOG's instead of one larger one

Here is an example of two smaller scrubbers instead of one larger one; in this case it's two HOG1 scrubbers® on the wall of a saltwater sump. One obvious reason here is the lack of space, because a larger HOG1.3 or bigger might not fit into the compartments.

A second reason is continuous filtering: A scrubber filters more (absorbs more nutrients from the water) when it is full of growth, and thus when you clean/harvest it the filtering goes down for a few days until it grows back. But if you have a second scrubber that is not cleaned/harvested at the same time, this second scrubber continues filtering after the first one is cleaned. (All scrubbers must be cleaned/harvested though, to get the nutrients out).

A last reason is redundancy: if something happens to one of the scrubbers, you still have the other operating until you get the first one going again.

SantaMonica
07-02-2022, 03:02 PM
This HOG1 or 1x is pulled out of a large saltwater sump. This size HOG is too small to do enough filtering by itself here, but it can help, and the growth can do all the herbivour feeding by just dropping it into the display for a day or so. Note the top 1 inch is flopped down; this is where the waterline was.

SantaMonica
09-12-2022, 09:12 AM
Little space is needed for a HOG1 like this. This looks like a saltwater sump, so a HOG1 is too small for filtering, but it can grow food to feed. Only 1.5 inches (3 cm) of distance off the glass is needed.

The black shade cloth covers half the red light when new, so growth can get started without it being too bright (no brightness controller is used because they are not reliable)

SantaMonica
04-18-2023, 07:42 PM
This HOG1 or 1x scrubber® looks like its black shade cloth (not shown here) was kept on the top half, when it should have been removed. The shade from the cloth caused dark growth on the top; dark growth needs more light. If the cloth can be removed, the whole thing should start growing like the bottom.

Also, it should have been brushed clean much sooner, including the air tubing and circulation holes, every 7 to 10 days as is recommended.