PDA

View Full Version : Scrubber info on Reef Central being blocked

SantaMonica
08-06-2009, 09:07 AM
ReefCentral already blocks AlgaeScrubber.net... if somebody posts it on a thread, it is automatically changed to "clayboa". I think they do this in PM's too, but not sure. But now looks like they're are even blocking searches for scrubber info; if you do a search for "algaescrubber", you get "We're sorry, you've encountered an error". Maybe it's just me, but I get the same error if I search for:

scrubber
scrub
ats
turf
walter
adey

Can some of you try it and see what you get...

sea munnkey
08-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Any reason why RC is doing this at all? Aren't we all to help or "eradicate" harmful nutrients from our closed system ... probably RC sponsors are threatened by these natural and less costly method and from fear that they might not make any profit from any nutrient removal media sales?

SantaMonica
08-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Correct... there are 3000 stores in the U.S alone that sell skimmers (and other nitrate and phosphate removers), and there is at least one person at each store that is on the forums. Plus the people at the manufacturers and distributers. So that's a lot of people to complain. And they want you to spend more on your tank, not less.

rainerfeyer
08-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Wow,

that is absolutely amazing!

Just tried a search and all it gives is a blank white page - tried with non-'scrub' search and it went fine.

I was amazed, actually, to find a forum somewhere in Africa you were posting on - got pretty nasty and was eventually closed - my thought then was that you are being targeted.

Well, we appreciate what you are doing! I am sure that the cost of an AS, especially DIY, is far less than any company can get for a PS, which is - all data invovled, pretty obsolete.

It is sad that we are a bunch of reef enthusiasts being governed by corporate America.

sea munnkey
08-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately Money talks ... :twisted:

Paul

kcress
08-06-2009, 12:53 PM
RC is one of the most messed up "emotionally" forums I have ever come across. It seems to be one mass of clashing egos raging in a pot. They're over-the-top concerned about selling and advertising. Anything that could even vaguely be imagined to someone making a dime gets erased instantly.

The place has about 100 moderators who seem to randomly eject postings. I had a friend sign up and ask about a LED seen on ebay. Because he did this on his first post he was permanently banned, this was in a 300 post thread that had perhaps 30 other links to ebay.

The place is messed up.

CHOMPERS
08-06-2009, 06:11 PM
I agree the place has problems. I did a search for 'algae' and got a list pretty quick, then did a search for 'scrubber' and got a blank white page. Then I searched for 'algae scrubber' and then got a list of links.

here is a thread that is going on right now:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... e+scrubber (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1683591&highlight=algae+scrubber)

CHOMPERS
08-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I just repeated the 'scrubber' search and it went through this time.

CHOMPERS
08-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Another new ATS thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... t=scrubber (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1675316&highlight=scrubber)

SantaMonica
08-06-2009, 08:36 PM
I love the scrubber old-timers who have all the answers: Scrubber smell, nutrients don't get low, they color the water, etc.

sea munnkey
08-07-2009, 05:30 AM
I like the one (excerpt from a RC poster's) from CHOMPERS attached RC link that says ....

" the same person had a long thread on here before, they either gave up or were banned from the site, either way they couldnt cut it here."

That to me sounds very arrogant and what I find most perplexing is a lot of "stubborn" reefers aren't flexible in "experimenting" new methods that have been proven and well documented. Too stubborn to even give it a try out but then maybe ... too afraid to admit that ATS does really work? Maybe it's just me but it does seem like that it all leads to the Self Imposed Denial .... ??? :roll:

Paul

rainerfeyer
08-07-2009, 06:54 AM
CHOMPERS<

thanks for contributing to my thread at RC (same sign on name),

Rainer

SantaMonica
08-07-2009, 09:58 AM
You'll find that most of those folks are tied in somehow to skimmers (or other equipment). Friend of LFS; son works at mfg; etc.

CHOMPERS
08-07-2009, 06:56 PM
CHOMPERS<

thanks for contributing to my thread at RC (same sign on name),

Rainer
Thanks for pointing that out. I noticed the familiarity but didn't connect the dots from there to here. LOL

CHOMPERS
08-07-2009, 07:04 PM
At three separate fish stores I have mentioned that I have an algae scrubber and don't run my skimmer. I get blank stares at the mention of an algae turf scrubber and so far no one has asked about it or made any comments about it (they have to be the knowledgeable professional :ugeek: ).

One of the stores here is run by an Asian family and only one of them speaks functional english. I had one of the others and when I told him what I had he wanted to sell me a $200 skimmer (can't blame him for trying).

rainerfeyer
08-09-2009, 04:19 AM
I am actually lucky - one of our LFS's is extremely customer friendly and is actually interested in adapting a scrubber pending how it all turns out. One of the employees has been using a scrubber as well. Both very good people. I am lucky, yes?

Rainer

sea munnkey
08-10-2009, 08:39 AM
I'd like to know if there's any LFS's both in the US or Canada that utilizes ATS method ... that would be really interesting .. no?

Paul