PDA

View Full Version : A.S.S.

cdm2012
06-03-2013, 07:49 AM
My Algae Surge Scrubber! (I'm sure GARF could come up with a better acronym, but I thought what the heck, I'll give it a shot LOL!)

I first introduced this build under the forum thread called PULSED FLOW (http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2731-Pulsed-flow/page3) post#24.

Since the screen that I was using was from my waterfall scrubber I decided to take that out and start with a brand new roughed up screen.

Here was the new screen after 7 days:

Here was the new screen after 9 days:

And here is the screen after 13 days:

The box was getting filled with algae so I took it apart to clean it up and took some pictures of the screen out of the water:

Here is the A.S.S. box by itself:

Here is the screen attached to the bubble bar (I cleaned some of the algae off because there was a few places that had the black oily crud on it, am going to put the lighting period back up to 16 on/8 off):

Here is the screen placed back into the A.S.S. container:

And here it is up and running again:

Garf
06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
That's great, with a new screen heh. Have you had any problems with the surge? Mine runs like clockwork. Floyd has been threatening to try this method, and perhaps lots of people after that :)

cdm2012
06-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Mine has been running great as well. I'm very impressed with the results so far. I'm going to let it run for a month and then make some modifications. I hope others try it as well!

Garf
06-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Throw a few more lumens at it, makes a massive difference :)

Floyd R Turbo
06-03-2013, 12:33 PM
It seems to be growing mainly in the center of the screen. Is that where the light is mainly focused, or would you attribute that to another reason?

I would like to see a video of this nice piece of a.s.s.

I find it of particular interest that the entire screen gets a green coating pretty quickly, but what are your tank parameters?

Also, this is basically a UAS with a chamber that oscillates water level - correct?

cdm2012
06-03-2013, 12:55 PM
It seems to be growing mainly in the center of the screen. Is that where the light is mainly focused, or would you attribute that to another reason?

I would like to see a video of this nice piece of a.s.s.

I find it of particular interest that the entire screen gets a green coating pretty quickly, but what are your tank parameters?

Also, this is basically a UAS with a chamber that oscillates water level - correct?

I'm not exactly sure why the growth is mainly in the middle to be honest. I'm getting growth around the edges as well, but it is dark. My light is very close to the container with a clamp light fixture with a reflector that surrounds the entire screen

The sides of the plexiglass container are very rounded. I'm wondering if it is affecting the direction of the light on the screen. :confused:

When I get a chance I will make a video of the A.S.S. workin it!

I will also measure my nitrates and phosphates soon and post what they are.

Yes, this basically is a UAS that fills up and down with water

cdm2012
06-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Here is a short video of the A.S.S. in action!

http://youtu.be/yvNdxmr7lNE