PDA

View Full Version : any sumpless ATS tanks out there?

Devaji108
08-23-2013, 03:20 PM
thinking of setting up a small tank 20-40 gal space is very limited so was thinking of going with a in DT ATS...something like a hog 5 in a fake over flow chamber or partition.
/
anyone have sumpless scrubbed tank out there?

also should i run carbon to keep the h2o clear?

Devaji108
08-29-2013, 10:03 AM
there must be some one out there running a sumpless ATS... in a nano maybe??

SantaMonica
08-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Yes lot of people, but once they get things going they don't need to come around here any more. Especially nano people who are not into changing things around as much. Try search for HOB.

kotlec
08-29-2013, 11:16 AM
I dont have sump , but there's back chamber where scrubber found its home.
But that dont counts i suppose.

Rumpy Pumpy
08-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Ran my current 200 litre system sumpless for 6 months. Built a long horizontal scrubber into the tank. Wasn't very efficient (did work though) and there was a problem with salt creep so I reinstalled a sump and broke down that scrubber.

Devaji108
08-29-2013, 09:54 PM
I dont have sump , but there's back chamber where scrubber found its home.
But that dont counts i suppose.

yes this counts! that is what I am thinking of doing with a 40br make a chamber like an all in one with the heater small return pump ATS a a cpl probes form the controller...
would u post some pics of ur tank that would be really great.

kotlec
08-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Here you go.

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4662&d=1377845958

I would eliminate the very left chamber now. It was initially dedicated for air pump , but I dont use it . Light blue color indicates water level in back chamber. It is rather low but allows placement for ats screen to sit right under overflow comb.

Devaji108
08-30-2013, 08:22 AM
wow that looks great... what size of tank is it?
so your running a skimmer along with your ATS how is that working out for ya? i have been thinking upflow vs waterfall for this build...why did u go with the water fall over an up flow?

SantaMonica
08-30-2013, 09:41 AM
I would also remove the sponge along with the skimmer, but that's just me :)

kotlec
08-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Tank is 35 gallons. I was going for UAS initially , then decided to have both until I decide what is best. During setup I read multiple posts when guys found some problems changing to UAS from waterfall and decided to go classic route. Previous smaller tank was running waterfall and I never has N or P problems. That also had influenced my decision.
I added skimmer only when I got algae problem going. Now it runs 8 hours a day. I really feel how skimmer is stealing food from corals. But I want algae go away as fast as possible. Cant have both.
Sponge is not all time , just when I stir sandbed or algae is dyeing and has to collect somewhere.

SantaMonica
08-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Cant have both

Yes you can, with a stronger scrubber.

Devaji108
08-30-2013, 02:06 PM
I wounder what is quieter in an all in one set up a hog style or water fall ?

kotlec
08-31-2013, 04:31 AM
There is no noise at all with my setup. But it took some tweaks to achieve that.

Yes you can, with a stronger scrubber.
I have no idea how can i make it stronger. No space to make double side. More light and algae burns. More hours and algae burns. Possibly one thing there is possible. Not long ago I bought Fe test and found my Fe level undetectable. Definitely have to do something here. Found recipe for iron solution that consists of Iron sulfate + Sodium citrate. Gona try it when reagents will arrive.. Bad thing here - it will fuel up algae in DT first place.

SantaMonica
08-31-2013, 11:01 AM
More bubble flow. More strings. Rougher attachments. That's the beauty of upflows.

Devaji108
08-31-2013, 05:15 PM
so what kind of mods did u do to get it supper quite?

hey SM do you think the .5 cube hog will be to much for a 40 br?

SantaMonica
08-31-2013, 05:47 PM
A scrubber is never too much, since it can't over-filter. It just needs to fit.

kotlec
09-01-2013, 01:58 AM
I bend lower part of scren in a way that water is now not falling from screen perpendicularly , but rather enters very smoothly. Its kind of a "j"

Then I covered top of overflow comb area with piece of plastic that noise cant escape that department.