PDA

View Full Version : led wiring question

Reef-addiction
09-21-2013, 09:09 AM
can anyone tell me on some of the LED scrubbers, like Turbos why are some of the LEDs wired with two wires.
Or mainly how its done. The way I do mine is the basic series, (+ to - to + to - to + to -) and so on. But on his it looks more
like a combination of series and parallel.
thanks

SantaMonica
09-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Welcome.

He does that to reduce the intensity of the blues. I currently don't use any blues, so I have not had to deal with it.

Floyd R Turbo
09-21-2013, 01:37 PM
The blue spectrum LEDs are much more intense than deep reds. Therefore they will literally 'burn' a bare spot on the screen, directly in front of the LEDs. In order to eliminate this but still utilize the blue spectrum, I wire them in parallel within the series.

I wire like this to achieve this: Driver(red)-R-R-R-B=B-R-R-R-Driver(black)

The "-" sign is a connection from the negative terminal of one LED to the positive terminal of the next.

The "=" sign as connecting two positive terminals of that pair together, and also two negative terminals together. This will create a current divider, given that the 2 LEDs of the pair are relatively closely matched, electronically. That means that 50% of the current goes through one LED, and 50% goes through the other. So now you don't burn holes in your screen and you also have better spread of the blue spectrum across the whole screen.

Here is a closeup

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt191/FloydRTurbo/00%20Algae%20Scrubbers/DIY%20LED/IMG_0298.jpg

Reef-addiction
09-21-2013, 03:22 PM
thank you very much for the response.