PDA

View Full Version : is turf algae better than cheato and calerpa

ocean rock
09-07-2009, 11:24 AM
as thread states just wanted to know ?

SantaMonica
09-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Question should be: "Is a scrubber able to pull more nutrients out of the water than chaeto or caulerpa?".

Yes.

And if the scrubber is run correctly, the chaeto and caulerpa will die. You may, however, offset this by feeding much much more, which in effect overpowers the scrubber, and allows the chaeto or caulerpa to live (as in a fuge). This way you get pods, low nutrients, and tons of food for the display.

ocean rock
09-08-2009, 09:14 AM
cheers SM just that i was having a debate that truf algae is better than caulerpa or cheato ,

jdl
09-11-2009, 07:17 AM
Question should be: "Is a scrubber able to pull more nutrients out of the water than chaeto or caulerpa?".

Yes.

And if the scrubber is run correctly, the chaeto and caulerpa will die. You may, however, offset this by feeding much much more, which in effect overpowers the scrubber, and allows the chaeto or caulerpa to live (as in a fuge). This way you get pods, low nutrients, and tons of food for the display.

hmm, i was just coming on to ask why my chaeto is growing like crazy and my scrubber at a standstill. Sure my scrubber has growth, but not like my chaeto. My chaeto should be dying?

http://www.abacasalon.com/FishRoom/s1.JPG

the chaeto on the one side is now just as much on the other side

SantaMonica
09-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Eventually the screen should win, but if the screen is too smooth and just single layered (like yours seems to be), it will take longer because some of the screen is letting go. Make it rough like this:

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/CanvasCompare.jpg

jdl
09-12-2009, 05:09 AM
thanks for the info, that makes sense.

so do i have to scrape everything off my current screen and rough it up as shown basically starting over? Or just get a new screen and start over? Or just add another roughed up one to the current one?

SantaMonica
09-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Add a rough one, so you'll have two layers.