PDA

View Full Version : My Scrubber Design

Toddo
09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Well, after reading all I could find about scrubbers, I have a prelim design for what I want. This is for a new 125.

My main concern is... ease of removing the screen for cleaning, since this will be a weekly chore. Here is what I came up with. The screen tube sits in the lower tees and just lifts out. The top tube provides the water. Depending on the flow from the top tube, I may install a screen in it to direct flow to the screen tube. Obviously there is still flow testing to be done, etc. to get it right.

I am going to have a submersible pump with an overflow feed. Opinions welcome...

SantaMonica
09-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Don't forget the other light.

Also, there may be some splash from the first pipe flowing into the second, so use aquarium-safe silicon on the light socket and switch (seal it "on").

Toddo
09-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks! Yup.....there are two lights in that pic. (I have studied the scrubber scriptures closely :D)

I managed to get water running through this tonight. (Don't mind the saran wrap blocking the end pipes....still in the proto stage) I managed good flow across the entire screen with a few adjustments.

You are correct in that the water from the top tube does splash a small bit and makes more noise than I care for. I am going to redesign that with a short piece of screen instead of holes. Then, light blocking for the upper part.

In this pic its connected directly to a Quiet One 3000 , so the running flow will be a bit less than this at the actual tank head height. This is for a fresh tank btw...

I really like how easily the screen removes.

Toddo
09-17-2009, 04:18 PM
I had a chance to mess with this again tonight. So, here's rev2 ..I replaced the holes in the top tube with screen and it performs much better...much quieter and no spray. I can start gluing it up now.

kcress
09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Looks nice and clean now. But give it about 2 months. Yo will be horrified by the growth all over everything and the salt-creep. The turf is going to grow all over that multi stage lower pipe. It will cause lots of flow diversions and splattering.

I'm not trying to depress you, just warn you. ;) For warned is forearmed. You need to make sure there is NO splatter AT ALL to prevent massive salt-creep. And you need to put in some sort of very effective shade device to prevent ANY light from reaching your lower pipe. Consider a piece of black acrylic or something similar.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Toddo
09-18-2009, 05:14 AM
Thanks! Yes, shielding for the upper part is in the works. But, no salt creep as this is for a native fresh tank. ;) I'll post pics of the shielding when its in place.

kcress
09-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Ah good on the salt creep. I went back before that comment and couldn't tell if you have SW or fresh.

Toddo
09-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Drilled the overflow holes for the scrubber..Whew...Stressful!!!!! ...but success! :D Nothing like drilling a new tank.

kcress
09-19-2009, 09:38 PM
Nice job.

Toddo
09-23-2009, 06:34 AM
My scrubber is up and running as of yesterday.

Question..(and I cant remember reading this anywhere) should I leave the lights on constantly until I see growth and then cycle them? If yes, then at what growth point should I start cycling them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09QkOfmxFCY

Thanks.

SantaMonica
09-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Post pics too :)

You can cycle the lights anytime. Running 24 hours has not shown to speed anything. What does speed things up is a very very rough, thick screen.

kcress
09-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Run them on 16/8 now, don't leave them on 24. Every time I do 24 I regret it.

Toddo
09-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Ok Here's some pics. On day two theres a slight brown haze on the sides of the screen but not the middle. I backed the bulbs off a bit.

SantaMonica
09-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Can you get some pics of your light-shield in the up and down position?

Toddo
09-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Here you go.....

Toddo
11-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Here's a chronological progression of algae growth..... At week 6 there is no more hair algae growing... I am only getting the green snot type now. (thats the technical term for it, right?) As of today mt Nitrates are zero and Ammonia is .25 to .5

SantaMonica
11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Just keep the dark stuff cleaned off.