PDA

View Full Version : Roughing up the screens, another option?

fuzzyt
09-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Newbie here with one of "those" questions....

Dont know if its been tried or discussed, and it would be more expensive, BUT, what about using multiple strips of velcro hooks attached to a larger surface for the screen? It wouldn't provide much in the way of allowing algae to grow through to multiple levels, but I can't think of anything else pre-canned that is rougher and designed to grab. I suspect the hardest part might be keeping it on the larger surface.

SantaMonica
09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
You can try it, but you'd want to epoxy it, and not sticky it. You kind of end up with the same problem when cleaning though... you have to be gentle and not remove all the algae.

AlgaeNator
09-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Having done the hole saw thing, Im not sure you can best it.. Why improve on the wheel?

I am trying a very FINE plastic canvas/mesh that I hope will do the trick even better as well.... pictures shortly to come tomorrow.

I think that the roughed up canvass for now is the way to go.. course Im a gnoob so take it with a grain of salt.. hahahah

fuzzyt
09-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Why improve on the wheel?

Because without improving on the wheel, sites like this would never exist and we would all still think that white was the natural color of coral... :lol:

Yeah, think I'm gonna test it out. Should be able to get something built this weekend. I used a hole saw on my current one, and although it seems to be working, I think it could be better.

KansasNative
12-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Ok, did anyone ever try the hook or loop of Velcro for an algae substrate growing media ? :?:

I need to know if it worked. If no one has I will try it.

Thanks. Oh, and Merry Christmas to all.

ali1
12-22-2009, 06:15 AM
So what are the other different ways in roughing up plastic canvas besides the hole saw?

jgreen1025
12-22-2009, 07:37 AM
I couldn't find my hole saw and sandpaper wasn't doing enough so I used a drywall screw to scratch it up pretty good. But I agree that scratching it up is so simple and easy that using velcro seems unnecessary. Still, I'd like to hear how it turned out.

SantaMonica
12-22-2009, 09:59 AM
A straight saw will work too, you just have to be more careful.

Nobody has tried velcro yet; not sure if it would disolve or not, plus it might be wavey.

KansasNative
12-22-2009, 02:20 PM
It should not dissolve as it is a synthetic material, polyester and nylon.
I plan on using just the hook format, which is nylon. I believe the hooks would
provide the same type surface as roughening a piece of nylon mesh. :D

It would be attached to a both side of a plexiglass sheet with a suitable water proof adhesive.
The plexiglass would give it rigidity, so it could stand alone with out any supporting structure or attachments.
With the exception of proximity to spray or flow bar (water source).

Thoughts ?? :?:

SantaMonica
12-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I think any adhesive will let go after a while.

kcress
12-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Seems to me that large sheets of Velcro cost a small fortune.

KansasNative
12-31-2009, 03:03 PM
1. There are non toxic adhesives that will bond anything to anything and are waterproof.

2. Loop Velcro is sold 57 inches wide and cut to length - $8.36 per foot.

3. Hook Velcro is sold 57 inches wide and cut to length - $16.26 per foot.

Not so expensive - only a trip to Mac Donalds.

Not sure which is better, hook or loop .

SantaMonica
12-31-2009, 10:19 PM
One thing about velcro is that is would block all light from getting through the screen. When a plastic-canvas screen is freshly-cleaned, the holes are open and the light from both sides can reach both sides of the screen. This helps get the new growth going faster. How fast, nobody knows. The velcro would indeed have a roughness advantage.

KansasNative
12-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Yes that is true, light would be an issue.
Would it be a problem, if lighted from each side.
Oh well , it was just a thought.

Thanks

SantaMonica
01-01-2010, 07:43 AM
It's already supposed to have light on both sides. The difference with velcro is that, after a cleaning, you have just a thin bottom layer of algae remaining, and thus little filtering. You want to get it growing fast. With canvas, that layer will get light from both sides. But it's not know if this makes any real difference or not.

johnrt
01-01-2010, 02:52 PM
KansasNative:

Sounds like an interesting idea. I would go with the loop side. Cheaper and since you want some algae to stay on, I am sure some hair algae will grow through the loops and stick.

I doubt that lighting is a problem. We have seen successful single-sided horizontal and vertical screen in the design tread, so an opaque screen should be OK. Certainly worth the experiment.

BTW: Where are you getting such wide velcro?

John T

KansasNative
01-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Velcro this size can be ordered from Mc Master Carr, they have a website.