PDA

View Full Version : Converted Back of Tank on Nano Cardiff to UAS - First Time build

g6gang
04-10-2014, 10:13 AM
So this is my first attempt at a UAS so appreciate the feedback. I have had the tank (29G Cardiff) for 2+ years and tried just about everything to keep unwanted algae and Nitrates down, nothing has worked. So I am hoping based on what I read that this will be the key to success. The included protein-skimmer that came with the tank just totally sucked, so I have taken the skimmer compartment apart and made a slot in it to slide the Scrubber plastic (that I roughed up pretty well). For 'bubbles' I am testing the re-use of the protein skimmer Venturi (it has tons of micro-bubbles and covers the entire chamber) - see attached pics. For a light, I built my first LED from LED-group-buy using just deep reds (LED Group Buy said I needed 5 for the driver so it is kinda bright). I just installed it yesterday and will post more pics later this week. See attached pics.

SantaMonica
04-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Nice build. Five 3-watt LEDs is a bit much, so let's see how it grows. Also larger bubbles are better to move the growth around, but let's see how the small ones do.

g6gang
04-10-2014, 11:32 AM
yeah I was wondering on the # of LEDs as well - through two would be fine, but did not understand the electronics side of it. The LED-group Buy giu said that the Inventronics driver requires a minmum of 12V - so not sure what would happen if I only put 2 on there - will the bulbs burn out? I bought the solderless version so very easy to re-wire if need be. Also curios if a heat sink is neccessary? I used rigid wire so was originally thinking to "suspend" the bulbs by using the rigid wire that is secured to the "frame". It is in back of tank so don't care on looks.

SantaMonica
04-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Less LEDs would just blink.

Heat sink is too big but does not hurt. It does need some heatsink.

See how it grows; if it stays white in the middle, cover a few LEDs.

g6gang
04-10-2014, 01:39 PM
ok will report back in a few days. I don't want to mess with it too much. what would you cover the led with? Good idea.

SantaMonica
04-10-2014, 07:16 PM
A t-shirt

SantaMonica
04-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Think 2 LEDs can't grow algae?:
http://youtu.be/b3qnP2hLPXY

g6gang
04-17-2014, 10:24 AM
Why do you say HOG 1.3 is not for tanks with Nutrient problems? I am at Day 7 and there is no growth on the plastic. I am still running 5 LEDs. I would think I would have had some growth with some whiteout areas, so does this mean it is a screen problem, light problem or air problem (still using venturi). or maybe I just need to wait longer. LEDs are on for 18hrs a day.

g6gang
04-17-2014, 10:41 AM
I pulled the sheet out and took a couple of pictures. In fact most of the screen has a brownish type color on it (like diatom like). There are some bare 'absolute nothing' sections in middle (possibly due to over lighting as you mentioned). 5303 5304 5305 5306

SantaMonica
04-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Is looking ok for 7 days; wait 7 more.

The HOG1.5 has low light to make it easy to start, and it works good if nutrients are not high in the water. For higher nutrients you need more light.

g6gang
04-26-2014, 11:22 AM
Here are some pics from Day 14 - Still pretty much the same with brownish type algae (but more of it on screen). There are some nice green in two small spots (lower corner and then at the top of the screen). The top of the screen sometimes sticksout of water due to evap in sump area - so that is peculiar. I switched to a air bubbler instead of Venturi pump and also moved the screen closer to the glass (about 1.5" now away from LEDs). I did not wash the screen at all. What else should I do? Is this normal?53305331

g6gang
04-26-2014, 11:36 AM
Tank Params

SG: 1.025
PH: 8.3
dKH: 9
Nitrate: 10ppm
Nitrite: 0
Amonia: 0
Calc: 420
Temp: 77F

SantaMonica
04-26-2014, 03:42 PM
The larger bubbles from the bubbler will surely help; small bubbles get routed away from the screen.

Cover 2 of the LEDs with foil, to reduce the light, and let it continue for another 2 weeks.

g6gang
05-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Santa Monica

Here is an updated picture. Still pretty brown throughout the screen. Curiously the top section of it is a very nice bright green. This section is sometimes out of water because of me forgetting to top the tank off. So it kind of tells me that it needs more O2? Maybe suggesting that a waterfall type scrubber is a more efficient design? (not suitable fo this tank - but I was going to put one in my larger newer tank).

Still running with 3LEDS this time (about two weeks now) the other 3 LEDS are completely blocked.

Any suggestions on what I should try next? This does not seem to be working.

SantaMonica
05-13-2014, 12:28 PM
The top is green because it get most of the air/water interface turbulence. The green should spread downwards, however.

Let is go another 14 days.

g6gang
06-03-2014, 06:00 PM
Here is an update. The pic makes it greener then it is in person. The green portions are not thick at all, but just a thin color of green. The darker areas are much thicker and are a deep purple type color (kind of gooey). When I pulled it out I also noticed a few critters crawling on the screen (pods I assume). I did run it under the sink about a week ago. So a couple of questions:

1) What is the dark purple stuff, what does this indicate?
2) Should I remove the screen I put over the 3 LEDs to make it a total of 6 LEDS?

SantaMonica
06-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Dark is always low light, so yes you want more LEDs.

g6gang
06-23-2014, 11:45 AM

Updated picture - from trhe last update over 2 weeks ago - I removed the screen that was blocking the 3 other LEDS, ( so now has 6 LEDS on) and also made the time about 20 hrs a day. It seems like I made it worse - now with yellowish slimy areas and completely bare areas. I do have quite a bit of Amphipods crawling on there - Not sure if they contribute to how it looks. This doesn't seem to be going they way I would like and was thinking that maybe I should just go back to fugium in back of tank instead.

SantaMonica
06-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Cover 2 of the middle LEDS, and it will fill in.