PDA

View Full Version : 24w CFL = 150w Halogen!

ThePisces
10-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Hi all, this is my first posting on this site and it's been great reading all the information on designs etc. ATS is the way to go! Im in the early stages of constructing my first ATS and have done quite a bit of reasearch on lighting.I have to say I am a little concerned about the number of designs which use ordinary light bulb fittings (Not waterproof) close to all that water.

I spent a couple of hours searching my local B&Q ( DIY.COM) here in the UK and found a cheap external floodlight fitting with built in reflector ( less than £6) that takes a standard 118mm R7s halogen bulb. It came with a 500w halogen bulb. Obviously thats way too much light and would get too hot. With a little further wondering of the ailes I discover a 24w low energy bulb (R7s fitting) that is a said to give the approximate light output as a 150w halogen. The bulb was quite expensive at around £8.50 but light output seems impressive. It's made/marketed by a company called 'Innovations' You may be able to get it at other places than B&Q and more than likely is available in the US and cheaper?

The bulb has a fitting which has it's own built in reflector and is a cool white. It doesn't say what the degrees kelvin is but I should imagine its around the 2700-3000k mark.

I guess the size of the floodlight fitting is not practical for some to install in a sump design, but at least it is waterproof/splash proof which was my major concern with some of the designs I have seen. With salt water having a greater ability to conduct electricity I thought I would just let those who may be interested in my findings that a safer alternative is available over cheaper non waterproof fittings.

I will post how my ATS develops and how the light performs etc. Hope this has been of use/interest to some of you?

Update: The box that the bulb came in says it has a Lumen of 1400 and it's imported by Ring lighting

The Pisces

SantaMonica
10-06-2009, 01:27 PM
That CFL should be fine for one side of a small screen. Use 2 one each side of the screen for higher power.

ThePisces
10-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi Santa Monica, thanks for the reply. I have a screen which is 13.5in x 10.5in x 2 (283.50inches) (120 gallon tank) with initial tests the one lamp gives good coverage owing to bult in reflectors, both in the floodlight housing and the bulbs own reflector, which helps spread the light to approx 95% of screen from about 4 inches away. I'm using a double screen, both screens scrubbed on both sides with hole saw and sandwiched together.

I may have to use standard light fittings/ low energy bulbs for the other side as space will be a problem if I use another floodlight, but will for the safety factor construct a waterproof/splash proof housing. There must be a more compact waterproof housing for bulbs used outside or in areas where water in nearby.

Any further comments ideas welcome.

Cheers.

SantaMonica
10-06-2009, 04:55 PM
http://www.radio-media.com/fish/SecurityLight.jpg