PDA

View Full Version : AC110 based HOB UAS

andrek787
02-02-2015, 09:59 AM
Hi All,

I wanted to share my new UAS project. I bought a Fluval AC110 power filter with intention of converting it for HOB UAS. I did not make any modifications to the filter itself. Here are some specs:

AC110 (500gph), 60 x 4" - knitting strings, 2 X Fluval Q2 air pumps (7.2 Liter\minuet air flow), 4 x ring airstones, 24W dimmable red/blue LED lights and reflective foil on both sides on the chamber.

Please note, I actually raised the media basket so the top of the strings touch at the water surface. I am also planing to try flipping the air stones upside down to get larger bubbles.

Here are some pics.

SantaMonica
02-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Nice build. A few things to check for:

Make sure the strings are polyester or nylon, and not cotton.

You have a lot of strings, which might block light; less might work better.

You could also add some light on the side if you want.

andrek787
02-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Thanks. I appreciate your suggestions. My project is still in prototyping stage so any input is great.

Unfortunately, the packaging on the string did not list what it was made from so I assumed it was synthetic. If it starts to rot I will have to find an alternative. I think HomeDepot carries nylon twine, would that work?

I attached as many strings as possible to take make the best use of the air flow as I am expecting most of the algae to grow near the top of the strings anyway. I was originally planning to put the leds on the sides, but when I actually went and bought the AC110, the plastic had much more tint to it than I thought so I had to improvise. I may be able to add 3 more of those 4W led strips by stacking them in between.

BTW, how much should I dim the light? I have it set to about 50% now.

andrek787
02-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Quick update. The scrubber has been running for 3 days now @ ~50% output and here is what it looks like so far:

SantaMonica
02-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Yes nylon is good. But even at the top, too many strings will block light from going very deep.

Your 50% seems to be working.

andrek787
02-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Wanted to give you guys an update. I have increased the light output to 100% to see if the light penetration increases. The lights are now on for 18 hours a day.

I am going to thin out the number of strings to see it helps bring the light further down.