PDA

View Full Version : Upflow Algae Scrubber In Back of JBJ NC28

makmakmo
11-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Just made the simplest UAS in the back of my de-rimmed Nanocube 28. I read that chaeto would just wash away in the back overflow chamber so I decided and think it is a better idea to put a UAS. I ruffed up the screen and am using a 5 watt led grow light. I am getting patches of dark green. The photos are of 2 weeks growth. When should I scrape some off?

SantaMonica
11-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Nice. Nothing better than a super simple DIY that fits and works good.

makmakmo
11-15-2015, 10:38 PM
So after seeing others use higher 12 watts + led grow lights I decided to buy one and try it out.
I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Spectrum-Indoor-Growing/dp/B00PBCG8X0/ref=sr_1_1?srs=6132854011&ie=UTF8&qid=1447655448&sr=8-1&keywords=grow+light

It says it is 24w but in the details it is listed as 15 watts. I have run it for about a week at pretty much 24 hours on and it has burned the grow mesh algae in the center. It was about 8 inches away but it has very focused lenses. I ended up putting my 5 watt tiny led grow light back in as it seemed to do much better and can run 24 hours.
I also had the idea of putting electrical tape over some of the lenses of the 15 watt leds to lower the light output.

Also, my tank is growing a lot of detritus since last cleaning about a week ago. The tank also smells like fish/algae. I run lots of sea chem matrix, carbon, and puregen. This is my 3rd reef tank and have never had the ones before smelly. Is it a by product of growing so much algae in the water? Why would this be happening.

Thanks for anyones input.

SantaMonica
11-16-2015, 08:00 PM
You can try sanding down the lenses of the LED's to make them less focused.

Any algae/fish smell is usually from an area that was growing algae up near the surface, then the water level dropped, leaving that algae to partially dry.