PDA

View Full Version : After 2 Weeks is this ok?

Oakilydoakily
10-23-2019, 10:19 PM
Hi ATS community,

I have built a DIY and followed the dimensions for the Bio load on this forum that I felt was appropriate for my 120g marine tank.

The only ambiguity was the lighting I have used. Honestly when someone mentions 150W+ lights, it frightens me on how much energy is being used and the cost of running such lights. So I have opted for LED Grow lights predominately 3 red 1 blue in the strips. Running 18 hours per day.

So far I am still running my Bio Pellet reactor in conjunction with a GFO type reactor as well. I don't have the confidence of removing them as yet because my readings indicate that combined all is still not working. No3 = 5 and Po4 = .1 (My GFO is depleted and I dont have any left...but I might have to get some but this is why I built the ATS so I don't have to use this stuff)

I have included pictures of my build and what's grown on the screen after 2 weeks.

Appreciate any comments that might give me a better result or is what I am getting so far is OK? When should I expect real results kicking in?

Thanks in advance...

Brett
Western Australia794179427943

SantaMonica
10-24-2019, 03:19 PM
Welcome from Australia,

Good build, growth will be good, although dark because the lights are weak. You can run 20+ hours.

When nutrients come down, growth will be lighter, but may darken easily if there is a nutrient spike. This will block light and the roots may die and detach sooner. So if it's dark growth you will want to scrape/brush sooner. If it's lighter, you can go up to 10-14 days.

Should work good overall, but if you want to change one thing next time, insert more lights and allow them to be be turned on separately for a high-power mode.

Oakilydoakily
10-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Thank you so much for your feedback. I'll add a couple of more strips on each side and increase the time to 20 hours and see how we go.