PDA

View Full Version : CUC

coolhandgoose
11-25-2009, 10:54 AM
So, perhaps this question is more for SM and others with succesful scrubbers. What kind of clean up crew are you using? It would seem you would need a lot less if you don't have any algae for the critters to eat.

SantaMonica
11-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Hermits are the only thing surviving for me. A cleaner shrimp, and a coral banded shrimp are doing fine too. Turbos, other snails, and any crabs all die. But then again I am in a reduced feeding period... only 8 ml of coral food a day, plus the nori and silversides.

coolhandgoose
11-25-2009, 01:20 PM
That's kind of what I thought would happen, seeing as they'd have no food, besides fish poop.

What are you feeding your fish? You said 8 ml of coral food, nori is a type of seaweed right, who gets silversides?

SantaMonica
11-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Nori to the tangs, about 8 square inches a day. And the eels get two silversides a week.

whites
12-30-2009, 04:01 AM
could you put a little of the scrappings back into the tank to feed them?? The way I see it is that when it breaks down in tank if not eaten it should just be re grown on the scrubber??

SantaMonica
12-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Basically, having algae die-off in your tank is not good, because it adds cloudiness to the water.

whites
01-01-2010, 11:34 PM
But the fish/critters should eat it up that's why i said just a little. My experience has been if I put in come saltwater lettuce the crabs don't take long to find it.