PDA

View Full Version : particles

ocean rock
11-29-2009, 12:33 PM
hi there just wondering if all scrubber users have particles floating round there tank or do they use a filter sock or wool , or do you just live it alone ?

jgreen1025
11-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I guess it depends upon what kind of floaties you have, but I'd think they're a good thing. My goal with a turf screen is not just nutrient reduction but also to produce lots of live (and therefore more natural) food for the tank. Check out this comment from Eric Borneman:

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic67603-9-2.aspx#bm67732
"...when the turfs are scraped all the time, the amphipods and polychaetes go with it, and more small fauna is something I want - along with their waste products and larvae as food. So, about once a month or so, I scrape off about a softball size clump of hair algae, shake as many amphipods as I can back in the tank, and start it over. And the part that makes so much sense here is this: One might say - "you want pod poop in the tank? Won't that raise the nutrients?" Yes, I do want pod poop in the tank because the filter feeders like sponges love it. I don't want high dissolved nutrients. And, the turfs take that right up. So, I get the fauna and the particulates and not the dissolved nutrients."

SantaMonica
11-30-2009, 04:57 PM
If you see a lot of white specs, then they are baby copepods.