PDA

View Full Version : Screen Question

Bridgeport
12-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I started this scrubber on a 10 gal. S.W. Tank. I plan on moving it to my 55 gal. This screen is only one layer thick. Can I start another screen on top of this one or should I just leave it alone ?

kcress
12-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Two choices.

Clean it then mash a new screen on top.
Or if the algae is visible from the back put the second sheet on the back.

You are going to light it up from both sides once you move it right?

Bridgeport
12-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Yes. And its lit from both sides now. I tried mashing a screen on it a while back but thought i might damage the algae so I removed it . Only had it on a couple of days

Broder
12-04-2009, 12:04 AM
You could optimise the design by making a two screen scrubber with the lights between the screens. You would just have to split the pipe and peg the screens against the side of the container.
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc82/Brodersfish/Scrubber%20Photos/CopyofP1010572.jpg
This is a larger version of what I'm talking about. You'd have to replace you lamps with something similar to these.

Bridgeport
12-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Nice setup.I like the fact that its all enclosed and the lights are hidden. Do you get more evaporation this way ? What about the water temperature ?

SantaMonica
12-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Bridgeport that is some great growth in that pic. When it looks like that, you are getting maximum filtering. Unfortunately, soon after that point it is cleaning time.

Bridgeport
12-05-2009, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the replys. I have been cleaning it but I guess I'm not cleaning off enough. I was leaving most of the long hair algae on there. Are you suppose to scrap off as much as will come lose from the screen? I've seen the video on cleaning the turf screen. I didn't know if you clean it the same way ????????

SantaMonica
12-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Yes I think you'll get better filtering by cleaning most of it off. I do. As long as there are roots stuck to the screen, it will be grown again in two days. This is where it's helpful to have two screens, so the other one can stay fully grown while you clean the first one.