PDA

View Full Version : noob at ATS, need a very basic design..

ali1
12-15-2009, 05:29 AM
So I been doing lots of homework about the algae scrubbers and i like the idea and would like to attempt the project, but i need your help.

1) the most I know about plumbing is simply creating a PVC overflow by connecting elbows and straight PVC pipes.

2) the algae turf scrubber needs to be below my fish tank as the tank is a display in the living room/

My thought was to have a PVC overflow that drains into a sump(smaller tank about 30G) and there's a pump in the sump that returns the water back to the display tank. Couldn't I just attach the waterfall/screen feature to the overflow when it drains into the sump and that's it? Of course Ill attach lights to both sides of the screen. Please help me out guys!

Thanks in advance!!!

SantaMonica
12-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Yes...

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/OverflowFeed.jpg

ali1
12-15-2009, 11:17 AM
1) Where is the return pump that sends the water from the sump to the tank?

2) If I already have the overflow/sump working correctly right now, would I have any problems related to the waterfall feature being added to the line(in terms of water correctly falling down the screen)?

3) If i just have the bare tank and let the waterfall fall from the screen(just like the photo you presented), can I just toss the bioballs in the water and let them float to keep the beneficial bacteria or would I have to get a canister filter to hold the bacteria?

4) So basically cut off the PVC that drains to the sump, add the waterfall feature and thats it?

If you can answer these questions, it would greatly be appreciated as I have little no plumbing experience. Thank you in advance!

kcress
12-15-2009, 12:28 PM
The return pumps there. Don't you see it?!?

:mrgreen:

Yes, many people just divert the overflow water down to the TS. It's a great way to get free use of the flowing water.

Most people don't use bio ball they use live rock for the ammonia conversion. You can use bio-balls or continue to use them. No problem with tossing them in with TS, etc.

Yes, basically cut off the overflow to the sump and run it to the TS.

You have to remember the flow numbers though, 35g/hr per inch of width. You need to have an idea of what your over-flow is so you don't make too wide a TS or you need to have a split like SM showed if you are going to have too much flow.

ali1
12-15-2009, 02:43 PM
This is for a freshwater aquarium. Will I be benefit from LR in a freshwater tank?

I'll go ahead and begin. I hope its worth it.

kcress
12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
All of it just comes down to surface area. The more the better. Rocks, gravel, bio-balls, whatever. Yes live freshwater rock would work too.

ali1
12-16-2009, 03:59 AM
Looking at this link below ,

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180385&highlight=algae+turf+scrubber

if i already have the pump, then I can determine the width of my screen based off its output rating?

SantaMonica
12-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Yes, after you subtract the "loss" from how many feet the water has to go up.

ali1
12-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Is there a rough estimate as to how much a pump loses for each feet?

SantaMonica
12-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Look at the box it came in

ali1
12-21-2009, 05:23 AM
Thanks again for the good info.I found out how much the loss is.

1. If i have a ball valve on the return line restricting some flow, how would I know how much my pump is actually pumping to make my screen?

2. I have two options : I can use a tee on the return line with a valve at the tee putting the remaining water into the sump. Should I attach the screen at the Tee from the return line OR should I just attach the screen from the overflow box? Any performance loss/gain between the two?

SantaMonica
12-21-2009, 04:02 PM
1. See how long it takes to fill a gallon jug.

2. Whichever give you the most flow, is easier to build, and takes up the least space.