PDA

View Full Version : Alternative pipe setup

ChrisD
12-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Hi

I have been trying to think of a way to reduce the clogging I get in the feed to the screen (I have chaeto in the sump still until I can get the scrubber producing properly). In trying to do this with the traditional set-up I have widened the slot and it has made it more noisy plus i do not get a good even distribution over the screen area.

I've come up with this idea - anyone got any thoughts as to whether it would work or got the time and existing materials to trial it?
[attachment=0:16w2gbex]wrap over mesh.jpg[/attachment:16w2gbex]

Basically the idea is that the slot(s) are on the top side of the pipe and nice and wide so it spills out of the top. Provided it is reasonably level this should provide a nice even flow. Also an option to do multiple smaller slots from the sides up to the top so it is kind of self-leveling. Any detritus will at least have a tendency to sink to the bottom

I'm hoping that, provided the two layers are at a suitably gradual angle coming back together that the water would flow around the pipe and mesh.

Unfortunately I wont have the time to trial it for a while - if there's anyone that is willing to and could post the result that would be great.

chris

SantaMonica
12-23-2009, 02:53 PM
First time I've seen this. Not sure if it would work or not. For sure, you'd have to shade the pipe otherwise it will grow over and channel the water. Nevertheless, any chaeto that is blocking the slot will also block this.

Solution is to dump the chaeto. You will have good scrubber growth in three days or so, and no clogging.

Aeros
12-26-2009, 08:43 AM
I like the idea - Think I'll borrow it. However, I will keep the slot on the bottom, but have the screen wrap around so it can slide of the end of the pipe. Also, I'll keep the 3 layers, with the middle layer cut off below the slot.

SantaMonica
12-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Can't put the slot on the bottom. Algae will grow and block all the flow.