PDA

View Full Version : The sump upgrade of 2010! Incorporates ATS and seagrass

ChadTheSpike
01-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum, but I have lurked for a long time. I have decided that I am going to upgrade the sump on my tank, I posted this on several different sites as I am looking to get all the feedback that I can on the design. Please help me make this as great as I can! Thanks all!

Currently, I use my sump as:

1) a place to put stuff like carbon
2) a place to add stuff like two part and make up water
3) enough extra system volume to let me do WCs without shutting anything off.

At this point I feel the need to mention that my sump is a 32 gallon Rubbermaid Brute trash can with a modified 5 gallon bucket in it to serve as a baffle for my overflow and protein skimmer return...

Ive used this setup for years and years and it works just fine, its convenient that I can do up to a 15 water change without shutting anything off... I like that.

Well, I have decided that this year Im going to upgrade, so Ill start gathering parts and building after I finalize the design (likely will be implemented by the end of Febuary).

Here is what I am currently thinking, this is a side view of my entire system. The DT and fuge are already in place. The only things that I am looking to get feedback on is area between the overflows and return pump. Stuff is to scale, but not necessarily in the final arrangement. No Im not good at these computer pictures, but I think the idea gets accross:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=844&pictureid=6472

This idea adds two habitats to my system, a seagrass habitat (eventually) and an algae turf system. Since I am all about extra diversity and micro-habitats, I figure this will be of significant for plankton growth and maintenance. My goal is to be able to to shut my protein skimmer off permanently.

I already have the surge box, I made it a while ago and used it in my fuge for a few months, it is made with a toilet valve and runs very reliably with a failsafe. I removed it because I wasnt sure it added any benefit, only noise and splashing, so it has been laying around since.

I plan on using a 24x36x17 tank for the sump itself, Ill silicone a divider in place so I have somewhere to put my return pump.

For the ATS, I plan on using SantaMonica's design for the PVC and screen section with a failsafe plumbed at one of the ends just in case it becomes clogged.

I plan on having the ATS mostly drain into the seagrass section (I realize there will be some losses through the screen... if too much is lost, Ill put a catch underneath), giving me a 'flow through' from my main circulation pump through each habitat, its ~600 GPH. Each individual habitat has/will have its own supplemental flow as necessary.

Here is what I am looking from you all:

1) Are there any design flaws here, or am I missing anything?

2) Should I go with a 400W or a 250W MH in the seagrass area? The water will be ~12" deep after I add the DSB. Im leaning toward the 400.

3) On the ATS, will a surge of ~5 gallons every 30 seconds be an adequate air/water time for turf algae to grow?

4) Any improvement ideas?

Thanks!

Happy New Years EVERYONE!!!

Spuds725
01-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Here is what I am currently thinking, this is a side view of my entire system.

Was there supposed to be a photo or drawing here??

Picture is worth a thousand words...

ChadTheSpike
01-03-2010, 08:17 AM
yes, it shows up for me... hmmm let me try something. Ok I added it as an attachment.

SantaMonica
01-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Gallons in display?

Width of screen?

ChadTheSpike
01-03-2010, 05:59 PM
The display is 60 gallons and the refugium is 30 (usually has around 25 in it though).

I dont know for sure width I am going to go with on the screen yet, the sump will be 24" wide, so I think the max I can go will be around 22". It will be length limited to about the same unless I undergo some serious stand modifications (that I dont want to do unless there arent other options).

SantaMonica
01-03-2010, 06:50 PM
60 gal needs a 60 square inch screen two-sided, or a 120 for one-sided (like yours).

250 halide should be ok if within 12" of the screen.

600 gph is only enough for a 17" wide pipe, if the pipe is a standard slot pvc. So a 17" wide screen needs to be at least 7" tall, although you can stretch it to touch the water below.

ChadTheSpike
01-04-2010, 05:09 AM
Thank you very much for your input, I greatly appreciate it.
Just a couple more questions if you dont mind.
I wont have any problems getting 120 square inches, I figure the smallest will be ~340 square inches (17x20). Do the size and flow rate rules hold true with the surge device and will the 5 gallons appoximately every 30 seconds be ok? With the setup I plan to light the seagrass bed and ATS with the same lamp, it may be as far away as ~20" from the top of the screen. I was leaning toward a 400W anyway, will this work out ok?

SantaMonica
01-04-2010, 02:18 PM
A wider pipe would depend on how fast the water was dumped out. Test it first

400W will be fine.

ChadTheSpike
01-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I had previously tested it, but couldnt remember the numbers, so I just ran into the kitchen and set it up for testing :D I love this stuff...

anyway, I currently have it dialed to dump 4 gallons, which it does in about 10 seconds, so for those 10 seconds it flows at 1440 gph. Like I said before, it takes about 30 seconds to fill. Good for turf algae?

I am finalizing my design further, I think I will go with a screen that is 15" wide and 20" long set at about a 30 degree angle from horizontal. When I get everything in place, I will attempt to go for a little wider, will see.

Overall does this look ok?

Thanks again for your help, Ill send you pictures when I get it together.

Chad

SantaMonica
01-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Any on/off/on cycle will grow turf, because the gha will die with the lack of flow. The more you can flow over it, the more filtering you will get, and the move gha it will wash off.

I not seen a surge version that filters better than a waterfall, but then again it's hard to test one against the other.

ChadTheSpike
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Cool, thank you very much for your help and putting this wonderful site together. Last question, will the surge (and turf algae) be more beneficial than GHA?
Thanks again, and happy new years!!
Chad

SantaMonica
01-04-2010, 08:50 PM
No, a thick growth of gha should be best. But this is not proven.

ChadTheSpike
01-05-2010, 06:31 AM
I guess that begs me to ask another question...

Is my idea flawed? Should I not incorporate a surge device into my ATS?

SantaMonica
01-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Correct (my opinion).. not if you need results. If you want to play, OK.

ChadTheSpike
01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Hmmm, I suppose that simplifies things (in one way, but complicates another) if I cut the surge device from the ATS... Although, I am adding an ATS more as an additional habitat than for results, my DT will be about a third of the total system volume when I make this upgrade and it is fairly lightly stocked. Are there other benefits/limitations to either method that I should be aware of? (if there is a link, thats great too!)
Thank you again for your thoughts, I very much appreciate them.
Chad

SantaMonica
01-05-2010, 05:09 PM
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68 (http://www.algaescrubber.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=68)