PDA

View Full Version : What mesh sizes work the best?

inkidu
01-10-2010, 07:37 AM
I just picked up two sheets both made by darice. One is labeled new improved artist giant #5 mesh and the holes about a 1/4 inch in size. The other is says artist mesh #33315 clear and the holes are about a 1/8 inch in size. They seem to be about the same thickness. Not a big difference and there might be little to no benefit from one to the other but given a choice does anyone have an opinion about which one would work best, last the longest, easier to clean, etc... I do have a horizontal scrubber, MMFI aquaricare, but that might not be a factor as far as mesh size. The flow is some where around 250-300 gph. Thanks for any help.

inkidu
01-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Just looking through Darice website, I was curious about all the different sizes that where available, and I noticed this PERFORATED PLASTIC CLEAR 2PC/PK HANG TAB. It was with the other plastic canvas products. Item #39500-1 Would it help hang a vertical screen? They did not have a picture with. My scrubber is horizontal but one day want to build a vertical scrubber after seeing all the great results and benefits of going vertical.

Amphiprion
01-10-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm actually using the finer mesh with good results--smaller than your 1/8". That's the only thing the craft store close by had to offer. Plus, I think the added surface area may be to your benefit compared to the coarser versions. I suppose the one downside is that it doesn't allow as much water to pass through from either side, so the flow pretty much stays put. That doesn't mean that only one side gets flow, only that you don't really get the pass-though because of the surface adhesion, etc. Dont' use that giant 1/4" mesh, though, as you won't get as much usable surface area.