PDA

View Full Version : More even flow

Amphiprion
01-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Okay, I know what is causing it, but I can't change that due to space and design constraints. Basically, the water enters through one side of my ATS, as opposed to the middle, but the inlet (a threaded street ell) because of space constraints. Any larger and I would have had trouble getting everything to fit, since I made that mistake already. But because of this narrowing, I get added pressure and the water tends to shoot to the opposite side of the scrubber, which naturally gets more flow. The scrubber features a wide slit because there is reasonable flow going into it. It is approximately 9.5" long (or wide, however you want to think of it) with about 700 gph total. I had to make a safety "check" in the form of a raised set of elbows on the other end (the end with lower flow) to make sure that it doesn't flood anything. So, what I'm proposing to remedy this lesser amount of flow on one end is to make slits perpendicular to the main one, but only on one end. This should lower resistance and allow some extra flow on that side. I could also slightly widen the primary slit on that side, as well. Would either of these be viable (before I go and hack it up a bit, since about 85% of the screen has good flow) or do you guys have a better idea or suggestion? But like I said, changing the plumbing isn't much of an option, otherwise the setup won't fit. If you'd like some pics to better illustrate the setup, I can try and get some pics tomorrow. But be warned my photography skills are horrible :lol: . Thanks in advance, guys.

jcommerce
01-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Can you post a pic to show us what's going on?

SantaMonica
01-11-2010, 11:00 AM
The flow will even-out as algae fills in.

Amphiprion
01-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Makes sense as flow gets diverted. Alright then, I'll just wait for the end result. If for some reason I don't like it then, I'll work on doing slight changes. Thanks.