PDA

View Full Version : still struggling

ocean rock
01-31-2010, 05:30 AM
still struggling to grow the right green algae , is it worth me not cleaning the glass letting it get green algae all over it scrapping it then using it to seed the screen , just a thought ,

SantaMonica
01-31-2010, 08:11 AM
This is the reason that using different bulbs from the recommended ones should only be done for experimenting, not for results. Since you are the only one using those bulbs, I have no idea if they are putting out enough light.

Your scrubber is not strong enough for the amount you feed. That is why it's not getting green, and not reducing your algae in your display. Your single 10 X 10 screen is already small for your tank, so if those lights are not putting out enough light (does not matter what the wattage is), then the scrubber will be weak. Also, without seeing a video of the flow, I can't tell if it's really enough.

I'd turn those bulbs off and use some clip-on CFL lights. And I'd also start using your second screen. This way you'd know that the problem is not lighting or screen size.

ocean rock
01-31-2010, 09:57 AM
iam using cfl bulbs these in fact ,
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh210/recoilphotos/sump231109013.jpg
and there 30 watts each are this the wrong bulbs if so can you please post a link ?
if the screen is 10x10 on on both sides that gives me 200 square inches if the tanks 100 gallon that twice as much as needed
as for feeding i feed 2 blocks of frozen in the morning and 1 frozen and flake at night , iam also cleaning the screen every three days .
my be i should re think the sump and stop using the over flow as the feed and pump the water round both screens i can use a ocean runner 6500 that will give me 6500lts a hour , i can then increase the lenth of the screen to 20 inches by 1o inches both screens that will give me a good growing area !
can you recommend any other ideas .
cheers oc

SantaMonica
01-31-2010, 10:53 AM
and there 30 watts each are this the wrong bulbs if so can you please post a link ?

60 watts total is minimum filtering for 120 gal. 120 watts is high filtering.

if the screen is 10x10 on on both sides that gives me 200 square inches if the tanks 100 gallon that twice as much as needed

No, 10 X 10 is only 100, not 200. You do not add both sides.

iam also cleaning the screen every three days.

Add the second screen. Put another bulb on the other side of the third bulb so you have three bulbs = 90 watts

i can then increase the lenth of the screen to 20 inches by 1o inches both screens that will give me a good growing area!

You do need a larger screen. And more watts. I would just add the second screen, since that is what you designed your sump for.

ocean rock
01-31-2010, 11:28 AM
ok will do i will see how i go cheers sm