PDA

View Full Version : Cupramine



chrissu
03-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I recently treated my display tank with Cupramine and while my fish have survived both the ich and the follow up copper treatment, I've since noticed that the algae on my ATS has died off significantly. It took about 3 weeks to become apparent but Cupramine and an ATS system do not fair together well in the long term. Short term (2-3 weeks) the ATS is fine. After 3 weeks, the algae growing on my ATS screen receeded back and much of it fell off (I have a very rough screen). No big deal really but I thought I'd mention it. I'm going to use charcoal, per the Cupramine instructions, to absorb the copper and I'm sure the algae growth on the ATS will come back in short order.

SantaMonica
03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Other people have done this (Worley) and the algae ate up the copper. But enough copper will indeed eat the algae.

Amphiprion
03-02-2010, 06:37 PM
Carbon should do a good job, since Cupramine is chelated. If you have any lingering doubts, you can also try Cuprisorb. Any tiny amounts should be readily sequestered by algae.