PDA

View Full Version : Contiunious feeding

Gigaah
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I know some of you have experimented with it. I wouldn't mind finding out what sort of results you came up with. I'm interested in the subject myself.

Recently i've been dumping brine shimp eggs straight into my scrubber bucket. I've read and this could possibly not be great idea but i'm going with it for now. The water flow saturates them(so they don't all float up to the top) and carries them into the system. They circulate FOREVER they are so light and tiny. My clowns and smaller fish are munching on the eggs and hatched shrimp in excess of 24hrs later as long as you don't mind a minor uptick in fine particulate in the water. From what I've been gathering this might more closely mimic the low nutrient high volume feeding you'd see in a normal reef...small fish wise anyway.

I'm just breaking into coral so I'm not exactly sure what to add to the "marine snow" for zoa's and such aside from trace elements.

Any information or results anyone has would be appreciated as I work on my own project here.

SantaMonica
04-15-2010, 10:26 AM
This is exactly how real reefs work; high food, low nutrients.

rygh
04-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Warning: I read that brine shrimp egg shells can actually kill small fish.
When running a brine shrimp hatchery, you are supposed to separate them out.
However, I have never read exactly why. They don't strike me as sharp/tough, but maybe they are.
You might want to look into those details first.

Gigaah
04-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I got pretty much the same info without details and proof. I think its more speculation and possibility than anything. I didn't find anything I viewed as solid claims or reputable information saying why so I just carried on. We all know how much fable and misinformation there is running around the fish community. If anything funny happens I'll let you know.

Well I guess something a little strange has happened. These(picture) have appeared in my tank since I started and have really taken off. Apparently they are hyroids of some type and usually die off when they use of the available food supply. In this case i'm told they eat zooplankton(brine shrimp) in the water column so I might have to suspend the feeding schedule to starve them off. Otherwise they will probably just grow and multiply potentially out of control.

I do find it interesting this only became an issue once I started feeding well.

SantaMonica
04-15-2010, 09:25 PM
You will get all kinds of things you have never seen before; i.e., things that grow in the ocean. But they are all food for corals and small fish.