PDA

View Full Version : Super easy DIY nano tank w/scrubber

SantaMonica
05-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Here is a super easy DIY nano tank that can easily be made at an acrylic or glass shop. You would want at least a 13 watt bulb no matter how small the nano:

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/NanoBuiltIn.jpg

rygh
05-20-2010, 10:10 AM
How do you reasonably manage the water level?

Since the screen is the overflow, the water level in the main nano will not vary, but the water level in
the screen area (effectively the sump) will go up and down.
But the screen/sump has very little volume.
First, it is small length/width.
Second, you must keep the water level low, to keep the screen out of the water.
That means that a fairly small amount of evaporation could drop the level below the pump.

Interesting idea though. Seems like it could be applied to large tanks as well, if water level issue
can be solved. Maybe a second-sump? So overflow to second sump is just above the level of the ATS pump.
Since second sump is not a filter, very little flow would be needed there.

SantaMonica
05-20-2010, 12:21 PM
It's a huge screen for the tank, so losing the bottom half is not bad. Most nano tanks are manual anyway, so whenever the level gets low, you top it off.

rygh
05-22-2010, 11:12 PM
You might want to do the calculation on how often to top off.
Yes, a nano is small, but the ATS section is even smaller.
It is small percentage of surface area, and there is increased evaporation due to ATS.
Could be ok, or could require a top-off every day.

sinie
05-23-2010, 05:55 AM
I like this idea.

Maybe you can put a lid on top at the back section to elminate most of the evaporation?
I think it will work great then!

mextli
06-13-2010, 11:43 PM
I want to pick a used Biocube 14g so i can rip out the wall and make my own using this filtering method. Wouldn't having the light horizontal be better? I was thinking of using one, 12" 36w Coralife aqualight.

SantaMonica
06-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Whichever position puts the most light on the screen

Gapirri
07-13-2010, 12:31 PM
I have been reading this thread with interest, it sort of looks like the design i have been looking for.
But what if you use it as a sump instead, do you think it could work, please have a look at my design idea and comment.

[attachment=0:1plop971]Sump scrubber.jpg[/attachment:1plop971]

Regards Anders F.

Soon to set up my second marine aquarium, had to give up the first because we moved.

SantaMonica
07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Yes that would work.

rygh
07-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Agree, it would work.
BUT:
1) Only if you have very little water in your sump.
Just look at the drawing. This largely negates the use of a sump.
2) Only if you have a very good automatic top off.
Or as water drops, it will burn out return pump.

So possibly impractical as drawn.

Gapirri
07-13-2010, 10:57 PM
BUT what if my initial plan was to keep evaporation to a minimum ? (condition from SWMBO)
I guess that is easiest to do with a closed system, scrubber-top off-return pump in a closed tank with lid.
I dont plan to have a large amount of water in the sump, just the pumps and filtration stuff, perhaps even an extra pump to ensure the correct flow over the scrubber.

Please have a look again and comment.

[attachment=0:3enklfs9]Sump scrubber with top off.jpg[/attachment:3enklfs9]

Regards Anders F.

rygh
07-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes, that would keep the water from dropping and burning out the pump.

You still have a possible issue in that your sump has very little water in it.
But that is not really a requirement, especially with an ATS system.

volvo122s
09-13-2010, 06:35 PM
How would one go about harvesting copepods from a scrubber such as this? would it work to have a sponge at the bottom of the sump to provide a living place for them. and then shake it out in the dt every few days?

SantaMonica
09-14-2010, 08:40 AM
No you don't want any sponges (or other mechanical filters) anywhere. You want the pods to just circulate around through the whole system so they can settle in the tank.

volvo122s
09-14-2010, 06:43 PM
would the survive the trip through the pump?

new2scrub
09-14-2010, 07:53 PM
cool idea,,just looks like the water level thing is the only hitch:)

SantaMonica
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Baby copepods can make it through pumps. And copepods are the most abundant animals in the ocean.

chrisfraser05
12-31-2010, 09:50 AM
this looks like the idea for me :)

I've been playing with much more complicated ideas for what is essentially a pretty basic thing lol

I'd nailed the idea of using a cascade from the display side over the mesh/screen but had been thinking of multiple chambers and lights coming down from the top!

Doh.

Cheers guys :)

nac
12-31-2010, 10:16 AM
How about you make the sump area very very narrow - perhaps a half cm - basically just enough for the screen. And put the return pump in the tank, connecting it to the sump. That way the sump could fill up entirely, yet the screen would get most of the flow.

EDIT:
I think I can answer my own question - algae will grow on the back glass if that back area is full of water....

SantaMonica
12-31-2010, 01:32 PM
It won't grow at all if it's under water.