PDA

View Full Version : Tray design for Algae scrubber It works great!

radiolouis
11-09-2010, 08:38 PM
check this link on you tube for my variation of the algae scrubber. I used a tray and screen from Michaels Crafts. Total cost about 15 dollars. In as little as 6 weeks has brought my nitrates from 25ppm to about 1-2 ppm. I like it as it cannot clog, is relatively quiet, and uses cheato in the tray as well. The cheato helps fee my tang and the pods. I have two 9 inch mounds of chaeto that have taken the shape of the tray while growing. It has grown very dense and thick and I flip it over at night to even out the light exposure. I have a pod invasion like I have never seen before. This algae scrubber I think is easier to clean than a pipe, etc....and requires no tool to cut pipe assemble etc. I light on one side only and assembled the screens and attached them to the tray with hot glue. The screens are sealed with hot glue around the perimeter so not to give the algae room to wiggle out between the sheets. My next improvement to this maybe using a tray that will fit under the aquarium in a stand using a square container of sorts to avoid the trash can serving as the sump behind the aquarium. I know my wife will be happy with that modification. Good luck....

Use Santa Monicas numbers for calculating screen size for one side lighting. My flow is from a quiet one 2200 which I believe flows 300-350 at the 4 head height. Any questions I would love to help!

here is my you tube link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqFGlBGDprg

SantaMonica
11-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Happy to see the nitrate drop. Let us know how the chaeto grow, as the screen grows.

steve hwang
02-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Can you put that video back up for a chance? I'm looking for designs and I like the design you are doing