PDA

View Full Version : anybody have LED on display tank?

new2scrub
12-16-2010, 07:24 PM
was wondering who here has a led light on there main tank and running a scrubber? I would think that this set up would make it almost impossible for nusance algae to grow in the display. I ask b/c i will have led lighting soon.

Vannpytt
12-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I do, and I have algae in DT. Scrubber not strong enought? :S

new2scrub
12-19-2010, 08:50 AM
what size tank and scrubber?

when i first started running a scrubber almost all of the algae in my main display went away but it is slowly creeping back . I think my algae is caused by my not changing my halide bulbs for over a year and my lack of flow,,,had a korilla die on me and cant afford a new one till after the holidays. but i am guessing when i get my led's and a new power head that the algae will be forced to live in my scrubber rather than main tank.

180rftank
03-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Check back with me in a month or so. I just took off 3 250w HQI halyde's from my tank and replaced them with 5 AI LED's. So far(only a week) my polyps are extending farther than before, I have not had to clean the glass yet, algae appears to be growing slower in the main tank, etc. And I am only running the LED's at 40%. However, I do have two sm100's that are just starting to grow green, so that also may be playing a part of the good things taking place in the main tank. One thing for sure, by chiller has not come on at all, and the tank has not budged from 77 degrees. Looking forward to cranking these LED's up each week a bit more from the 40%.

spideybry
03-23-2011, 06:50 AM
I will be getting the AI's soon as well. Will keep you posted.

mikepao13
03-23-2011, 07:39 AM
What type / make of LEDs are you referring to?

spideybry
03-28-2011, 06:59 AM
What type / make of LEDs are you referring to?
These are the ones I am talkin about.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

mikepao13
03-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks,

If you get them just let us know how you find them...

spideybry
03-28-2011, 07:46 AM
No problem. I should have them this friday or monday :D

180rftank
04-08-2011, 03:31 AM
Love the LED's from AI. My temp has not budged 1 degree since taking off the halyde's. Color is awesome and super bright and I'm only running them at about 50% power right now. I still am looking for my SPS's to have a bit more polyp extension. Not a lot of growth yet, but still suffering I think from the tank move. Will keep you posted.

MorganAtlanta
04-09-2011, 06:32 PM
I have a DIY LED. Parts from Heatsinks USA, ReefLEDLights, WattSupply. They were pretty simple to put together, and I am all in $1200 for the equivalent of 5 AI units. I used the money I "saved" to buy an Apex controller to do sunrise/sunset, among other things...

Donj
07-08-2011, 07:56 AM
I have replaced my 3 250 MHs with 3 led units totaling 360 watts about 2 months ago. these units came from luke at reeffiltrations, i cant tell you how much happier i am with leds, these things are are actually stronger (par wise) than my metal halides, at 10 in. above water line. I have seen very good growth on all my sps and lps, with no algae growth whatsoever, of course that may be due to my ATS as well. I think we all know in this hobby LEDs are the future in reef aquaria, that being said, the future is here, IMO. I cant believe how much my elect. bill went down. my water temp stays consistent as well. It was a win win for me as I sold my MHs to pay for the LEDs. Couldnt be more pleased with the switch over.

pyrocide
07-21-2011, 06:39 AM
I have been running a custom LED rig for about a year now. Originally over a 29, moved to a 90 and more than doubled the number of LEDs. I have had some hair algae sprout, but i think it was due to the move and not caring for it like i should.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=77325

This is the original thread.