PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Rug Canvas

SantaMonica
01-06-2009, 05:04 AM
Someone came up with a great way to attach Rug Canvas. Rug Canvas is the highest performance screen material; it is preferred over Plastic Canvas because Rug has small fibers that algae can attach tightly too. This means you get growth faster, and you get more growth sticking to the screen after cleaning (thus, no overly-cleaned bare spots). The problem with Rug is that it's a flimsy material, and the edges tend to unravel. It also won't last forever. So consider it more work, in order to get the highest performance.

Anyway, this idea is very simple, but I've not tried it. So you might have a plastic canvas version as a backup, in case you can't get the Rug working properly. You'll need to make the slot wider, to accomodate the plastic rod. The trick will be getting the right "fit" between the rod/screen, and the slot, so that the water flows smoothly. It will be trickier than a simple plasic canvas, no doubt. So plan on experimenting with it for a few days in the bathtub.

You can get Rug Canvas at any crafts/sewing store. Also, you might need to sew/glue/hotmelt/etc the loose edges so that it does not unravel.

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/RugCanvasAttach.jpg

worley
01-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Could I point out what seems obvious to me? :)
Why not just the top of the canvas through the slot, have a cap on the end of the pipe (e.g. an inspection cover) and a longer rod and just push the rod through the inspection cap? Or is there something I'm missing?
That way you don't have to make the slot particularly large.

SantaMonica
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Because wet rug canvas, especially when large, is very difficult to get through a slot. Especially when the pipe is limited in how it can be held while doing it (suspended, over a sump, with little work area). You start putting the rug in one end of the slot, and by the time you get to the other end, the first part comes out. I have that problem somewhat even with the plastic canvas.

worley
01-07-2009, 03:31 AM
I just meant that you wouldn't have to enlarge the slot even more for the rod as well as the canvas, I guess if you use a fairly flat rod (if it's too thin in both dimensions it'd bend) you wouldn't need to enlarge the slot too much.