PDA

View Full Version : Getting off the hard stuff...

srusso
01-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Well, I had been running my almost 6 month reef on city tap water. Just bit the bullet and bought a BRS 75 GPD RO/DI Plus system...
After the crazy weather we have been having I realize that its just not cool not knowing what is getting dumped into my tank.
One of my zoas and my sea fan seem to be acting different since the weather has started. It maybe the tuns of salt going into the water from the street salting or some chemicals being used to combat something I dont know about.
Now that I purchased it... I cant wait to have it... I think I will be doing 5 gallon water changes until I have changed the total amount of water....

waynotcars
01-29-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't think salt from the street is making it's way into our drinking water. We'd be in a nit of trouble if run off from dirty streets hit our taps. I have the BRS 75 unit and it's great. Hope u got the dual TDS meter. Check your TDS going in and see what it reads and then check it coming out.

srusso
01-29-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't think salt from the street is making it's way into our drinking water. We'd be in a nit of trouble if run off from dirty streets hit our taps. I have the BRS 75 unit and it's great. Hope u got the dual TDS meter. Check your TDS going in and see what it reads and then check it coming out.

My thinking is the run off from the sewers ends up at the water treatment facility. Then is being treated for different things and then back to our taps. I base my reasoning off the fact that during the spring when we get a lot of rain something is added to the tap water to adjust for that and end up making green water in freshwater tanks. Check out from freshwater forums during that time and you will see loads of people complaining of that same problem.

I did get the plus unit so I will be getting the dual TDS meter. I have a dip tester and my tap comes out between 20 - 60 TDS. Still believe with that I could have gotten away from running a reef, but one gets to the point were you second guess what that 60 TDS consists of... My RO/DI gets here on Thursday, cant wait... ;)

srusso
02-10-2011, 08:21 AM
So I got my RODI setup, it was very easy!

Picked up a hose Y splitter and used it on the cold water line of my washing machine.
http://184.72.239.143/mu/616ba412-0e61-a041.jpg

It's producing very well, I get 85psi and the water into the DI resin is 3tds! Out is of course 0... Very happy with it!
http://184.72.239.143/mu/616ba412-0f4c-8f1a.jpg

spideybry
02-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Is the valve the only thing that controls the flow through the RO unit? Or do you have some sort of float valve set up in the Brute container to stop flow when needed?

Looks good btw.