PDA

View Full Version : New ATS (scrubber) - 2 feet cube tank with sump

Reef
01-31-2011, 10:31 PM
I am posting my new ATS as shown in the pictures.

Special thanks to SM, for his guidance.

Spec:

-12 x 5". - 60 sq Inch screen (tank= 57 US gal)
Both sides with 2x T5 light @ 16 watts each side)
( with 18 hrs/ On. 6hrs Off)

- Flow: 1500 - 2000 liters / hour - running 24 hrs On.

I need assistance, how to reduce the bubbles and noise coming down from the ATS down pipe as mine is above main tank..

Hope it can do away with my others Equip.. Skimmers etc and reduce the water temp. :D

Mine is a Fish only tank.

Reef
01-31-2011, 10:34 PM
How can I upload files pictures??

The choose file option is blank out.

Reef
02-01-2011, 01:30 AM
After uploading the pictures using my PC.. Using Handphone cannot upload.. :?

Reef
02-01-2011, 01:35 AM
Hope to get from comments and helps from ( experienced ATS users) regarding how to reduce of noise from the PVC down pipe from my ATS..

Everything work fine, just that due to noise I had not start running.. Cheers

wmilas
02-01-2011, 05:13 AM
Don't know if it matters, but I'd put a right angle barb on the intake of that ATS. That way you won't have the hose sticking out like that. Also consider getting a hose that is not clear color. If its clear it'll get caked on the inside with algae.

SantaMonica
02-01-2011, 05:49 AM
Very good acrylic work.

The easiest might be to drain it into the back side "sump" of the tank. Or try this:

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/UnderOverUnderPipe.jpg

Reef
02-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Don't know if it matters, but I'd put a right angle barb on the intake of that ATS. That way you won't have the hose sticking out like that. Also consider getting a hose that is not clear color. If its clear it'll get caked on the inside with algae.

Coz mine is with power head pumping water from main tank.

And with euro bracing blocking, if have a right angle barb dun help much...

I see whether it work well, then I might re-do 1 more time.. When I change new tank, will house in sumP..

Cheers. For your comment

Reef
02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Very good acrylic work.

The easiest might be to drain it into the back side "sump" of the tank. Or try this:

My sump is below my main tank, so do not have a back side "sump" . :D

Will try your Bubble remover though, u try before? Effective? Noise and bubbles issue solve ..

Now due to the noise, can't operate or my wife will nag at me non-stop.. :twisted:

Thanks SM for your compliments & quick response..

SantaMonica
02-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Try this one...

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/UnderOverUnder.jpg

Reef
02-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Mine is similar to your design of SM 100.. so wonder how can I do the up and down divider..

SantaMonica
02-02-2011, 08:41 AM
PVC.

bguile
02-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Hope to get from comments and helps from ( experienced ATS users) regarding how to reduce of noise from the PVC down pipe from my ATS..

Are you able to put a 90 deg elbow on the drain of the scrubber? I did that for mine and I no longer have the gurgle sound as it drains. Doesnt do much for the bubbles though.

SantaMonica
02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
You can also make it with a pipe within a pipe within a pipe.

Reef
02-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi SM, possible to provide illustration on how to do the divider within the PVC pipe??

I had tried the bubble remover option 1, it reduce the noise but not the bubbles though...
:?

SantaMonica
02-03-2011, 10:14 PM

Reef
02-04-2011, 12:50 AM

I try this but not effective!!

SantaMonica
02-04-2011, 07:10 PM
You tried all four

Reef
02-08-2011, 02:50 AM
I had tried the first 2 option( following your blue diagram ) using PVC with holes cut above water.. The bubbles are still coming from the pipe end as well as the small holes..

Wonder any fit on that can reduce the bubbles ? As I do not want to have too many piping in my main tank, occupying space and unsightly..

The +points is I can see algae growing on my screen..

Reef
02-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Showing some pictures after running few days...

Can see that there are Algae forms, but do i need to clean at 7 days OR wait for better growth on the screen.

Also showing some of the bubbles issues...

Reef
02-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Showing the drain pipe with holes added.

I tried with and without the end elbow and it seems not much different. still alot of bubbles but minimum sound though! :D

With the Algae forming, guess i am quite success in the ATS I DIY.

Hope it will helps to reduce my NO3 and PO4 and eventually having a crystal clear tank without algae & less nutrition, healthy fishes.. :D

How long will I need to measure again to see improvement.. currently my NO3 is like 100ppm.. ( super red using API test kit)
phosphate not test yet but had change to using DI water for top up..

SantaMonica
02-08-2011, 06:41 AM
Raise the pipe up more... make it half way out of the water.

Hope it will helps to reduce my NO3 and PO4 and eventually having a crystal clear tank without algae & less nutrition, healthy fishe

Less NO3 and PO4, correct. But more food particles in the water, just like in the ocean

How long will I need to measure again to see improvement.. currently my NO3 is like 100ppm

After you have cleaned off three thick screens.

had change to using DI water for top up

Should be RODI, or distilled.

Reef
02-09-2011, 06:01 AM
I had try raising to half of the horizontal section of the PVC pipe but it is still the same. Will take a few shots later to post.

Btw, how long will the screen Algae turn thick. Now is like 1mm but is covering 90-95% of the screen.. I am quite pleased with that.. Do I need to wash at 7 days or wait till I can't see through to the other side? I am having both sides lighting ..

Lastly, if effective, I might re design a new sump to cater to ATS filtration and do away with my skimmer. Do you have any proposal for a 2 feet cube tank? Or using my current ATS will be sufficient??
I guess this will definitely eliminate the bubbles & noise..

What are the things I need to Keep, eg: live rocks as media , mechanical wool and foam from first compartment..

A million thanks for reading...

SantaMonica
02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
7 days to turn thick. Clean at 7 days.

Current scrubber will be sufficient.

Keep rock. Eliminate foam and wool.

Reef
02-12-2011, 06:43 AM
As shown.. think close to 2 weeks and the screen had not been showing any thick algae..

should i remove and clean?

wonder how is my NO3 and PO4?

SantaMonica
02-12-2011, 10:13 AM
It's starting out great. Clean lightly with fingers.