PDA

View Full Version : New Comer...My Design

bucks448
02-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Greetings all.
First of very cool site and great info!

Background...I have a AGA 180g display (dual overflow each rated at 600gph) with a 55g divided up for a sump. I've needed to redo the plumbing for sometime now, so my plan is to add a scrubber in. My plan initially is to keep all my existing filtration (filter sock, protein skimmer, refugium), but I hope to phase it out as the scrubber takes off. Most likely though I'll keep the refugium just because I like it. I plan to run two one-sided scrubbers with a light(s) in between and let the spill over light, light the refugium. The scrubbers will be 10-11" across, and 9-10" in length (biggest I have room for). I don't have a lot of room (top to bottom) under my tank which is why I need to go with two one-sided scrubbers. I plan to use the overflow from the display to the sump as the supply for the scrubbers. I'm pushing the overflows probably a little beyond their rating, so I should have plenty of flow for the scrubbers by incorporating some gate valves. My biggest concern is getting the lighting right in the most cost effective way.

I've been looking at a single light like http://www.amazon.com/Feliz-Grow-Light-2700K-Socket/dp/B003JJQG02to go in between the scrubbers. It looks like they make these lights in 125, 200 and 250 watt. My question is will one of these do the job?

One other thing, a little off topic, is the plastic bar that goes across the top of the 55g used as support for the tank, or just support for the tops that could be put on the tank? It's really getting in the way of my design and I want to cut it out.

Also, please let me know if you see anything wrong with the design. I'd rather not have to redo the plumbing.

Thanks for looking - Jared

SantaMonica
02-03-2011, 10:26 AM
First, that bulb is way too big... 100 watts, it will melt your screens in the center spot. Two 42 watts bulbs are better.

If there is anyway you can do a single screen with a bulb on both sides... do it. The dark side of a single-sided screen causes less filtering than if both sides are lit, even for the same wattage. If you use side-reflectors, even simple ones you build, you can fit bulbs on both sides:

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/BeerCan.jpg

The best would be two 33 watts bulbs (with side reflectors) on each side, for a total of 132 watts. That's about as much light as you can get on a 10 X 11 screen. This is a very under-sized screen for your tank, so you have to compensate with wattage. Also, having one screen instead of two will cut your flow in half.

Don't try to have macros in your fuge... they won't live if your scrubber is working properly. You can have rock rubble though... pods will grow in them.

Reverse the order of your bubble filter to under-over-under; the bubbles are already going up at the start, so you want the water to go down.

I don't know about tank supports.

bucks448
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the quick response.

I had a feeling that bulb was a little much. I guess I was just trying to over compensate the wattage, but I didn't think about spreading it out with smaller bulbs. I know a 10"x11" screen is small for my tank which is why I was going with two that size. I actually may not be able to get 11" in length, though. I think I still need to run two screens, but with your suggestions I should definitely be able to light both sides of both screens. Would two 10"x8-10" screens with both sides lit do the trick?

Also, I'm hung up on the right bulb to get. Maybe I'm over thinking it, should I be going for a specific color spectrum, or just a 33-42 watt (actual) CFL that's for household use? It seems like that's what's in your example.

Yea, I know the bubble trap is backward, but it's holding back sand in the fuge. I don't think I'm up to redoing the sump just yet. I really want to get the scrubbers going :) ...hopefully this weekend!

I guess eventually I'll have to pass on my macros to another reefer...oh well.

bucks448
02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I actually may not be able to get 11" in length, though.

I was wrong. I messured and I can to a 10"x12" screen. I still think I'm going to do two, with both sides lit...too much? Still questioning the light bulbs I should use. Hopefully I can find some at Lowes or Home Depot.

SantaMonica
02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Two single-sided screens is not equal one double-sided screen; it is less. Double-sided illuminates the roots much better, and makes use of all the flow. Two screens, each double sided with at least a 33 watts bulb (total of 4 bulbs) would work.

Regular warm or soft bulbs will work.

bucks448
02-10-2011, 06:40 AM
Well, I've managed to find enough room to get a 18"x10" double sided scrubber plumbed in. I'm still working on mounting the lighting. I have enough room for a single 40w bulb on each side. I know I should have more light, so I'll see what I can do on that. The only thing the same from my original design is the I'm still using the overflow for the water supply. I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

I turned on the scrubber for the first time this morning and there were a lot of places it sprayed out and didn't run down the screen, even with the valve open just a little. The screen wasn't snug to get into the slot, but I guess it still isn't wide enough. Before I go cutting again I just want to make sure...Do I need to open the slot wider?

SantaMonica
02-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Narrow is usually better. After the growth happens it will fill in.

Get the widest reflector you can... like this:

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Bab ... -p220.aspx (http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chick-Supplies/Heat-Lamp-Reflector-with-Guard-and-Clamp-p220.aspx)

bucks448
02-10-2011, 07:57 PM
That's the type of reflector I went with. Here's some pics. The reflector is an 8.5" from lowes, and I wasn't sure it'd fit on the far side, but it does, so I'll be adding another one to the near side tomorrow. Hopefully in time to turn the sump back on. I've been dealing with a leaky return bulkhead. I'm waiting on the glue to dry. Any advice one the scrubber design is welcome.

SantaMonica
02-10-2011, 10:16 PM
That wide screen need two bulbs on each side:

http://www.radio-media.com/fish/BestCFL3.jpg

bucks448
02-18-2011, 11:56 AM
Here' some updated pictures after running it for 5 days. Those are two 40w bulbs, and I'll be adding to more 23w this weekend. I don't think I can get another 40w on each side...those bulbs are big, and the angle of the screen makes it difficult.

I have a question on screen size...I re-measured mine and it's 17x11", but that's counting the 2" in the water. Does the whole screen size count toward the 1" per gallon rule or just what's out of the water?

SantaMonica
02-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Only out-of-the-water counts. And only near-the-bulb counts. So unless you add bulbs, the sides of that screen will not be doing anything. You could make a smaller screen and save flow.