+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATS on large tanks?

ATS on large tanks?

im curious if anyone runs an ATS on a tank 180g or larger as a sole filtration. im considering upgrading my 75 reef (with a scrubber XP ) when we move and was looking at an 8 foot tank or close to that. id rather not spend a few 100 dollars on a skimmer if a $200 scrubber could replace a $900 skimmer. i run an SWC 120 on my 55 and im having great results on both tanks so im hoping to go the cheaper route. anyone running scrubbers on large tanks?

Re: ATS on large tanks?

wow thanks for the links any idea on how that style of scrubber works? it seems like it pools the water and the surges it back to the tank. does it follow the rules of the horizontal scrubber? so for a 200g tank you need 800 sq inch of screen? thats alot but would be sweet to add to a large tank.

Administrator

Those were the original styles of the 1970's. They are not recommended for many reasons.

To answer your original question, many people with larger tanks use scrubber-only filtration, but the new vertical ones. It does not matter how large the tank is.

Great videos, thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by srusso
    Great videos, thanks!!!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Those were the original styles of the 1970's. They are not recommended for many reasons.

To answer your original question, many people with larger tanks use scrubber-only filtration, but the new vertical ones. It does not matter how large the tank is.
    oh ok so then im just ramping the scrubber size up, say from my 10x10 to a 30x10 or something like that for a 300g tank (example tank)? thats a big area being taken up but itll prob be worth it.

Administrator

With larger tanks you want redundancy. I would do 3 separate units.

+1 with what Santa Monica said. Another benefit of running more than one big scrubber is that you can clean one scrubber and leave the other one up and running. Then you alternate cleanings week after week between the scrubbers. That keeps your water quality at it's best all the time. (paraphased from many of Santa Monicas past posts).

hmm i was thinking of multiple scrubbers bout then wouldnt that require multiple pumps with can be alot of $$? one mag7 here is $120 (i think, forgot lol) and the longest scrubber i could do is 20" (700gph for the pump, 20"x35gph is 700gph) then i could make it say 15" tall so i have enough screen for a 300g tank. so youd rather, for a hypothetical 400g, me have two scrubbers 20" long, 10" tall, and powered by a mag 7 then have one scrubber, 25" long, 16" tall, powered by a mag 9.5? the price difference is about $100 locally. the screen area is the same (both sides lit) but i have 2 scrubbers compared to one.

redundancy is great, dont get me wrong, but should i spend almost twice the amount of money to have two scrubbers instead of 1? would you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information