+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ATS with Bean Animal / Calfo 3-pipe system?

Re: ATS with Bean Animal / Calfo 3-pipe system?

The labor was about 200+ I think. Not cheap but not expensive for welding. I'm sure I'll have it as an aquarium stand or shop bench forever though.

Got acrylic doors installed now. Glad I chose acrylic as glass and children are a bad idea.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/drewyou...eat=directlink

I ordered custom tank from Reef Savvy and only need to make two acrylic sumps now. Didn't go with 3rd hole for surface skimming overflow, but left room in middle in future. I'll have low level sump cut off.I will make main sump acrylic and ATS glass probably so I can clean it more often. I will also make over flow for surface skimmer as 3' x ~4" X ~3"black box with strainer on intakes only. I'll drill box after I get tank in.

Looks like I am a little late to the party but I am running a Bean System on my 90 gallon and have an ATS running off of my return pump. Not the route you want to go but if you have any ?'s feel free.

I have also read through that Bean Thread a few times... so what it took a week.

Banned

I didn't know you were running yours off the return pump. That could be part of the issue on yours also, the flow restriction is definitely due to the 1/2" hose now that I know that.

For anyone following, I originally intended to set up my personal tank with a BA & ATS. My personal tank is currently housing my customer's stock since his tank was about to blow open, and the new tank I'm getting him will be a custom Miracles tank with an external BA overflow and direct feed to the scrubber.

I have seen many examples of overflow to scrubbers but I don't care for them.

I would reconsider running overflow through ATS since you went to so much trouble to make fail safe overflow, if I understand correctly. Flow will have vary through week between croppings. This might cause overflow to change and cause gurgling and irregular flow to screen, or at worst be a real reason that 3 pipe design is needed.

The main reason I would reconsider is that power outages are frequent in my area. I could not run sump pump off anything but generators and screen dries out. I use new tunze sump pump to ATS and two 6105's all on safety switch to marine battery so when power goes out I just check all flows and go back to sleep. I heard transformer detonate down the street this month, but power was only out 2-3 hours this time.

This keeps tank oxygenated and scrubber filter working during outages. It might seem like more overkill than beananimal setup to some but I lost 6 years of growth to power outage on some things I could not even identify well. Apex is another overkill too.

Banned

I've been reading threads on ATSs for well over a year and I have never read about anyone having the slot pipe clog because of algae growing into the slot. It can't happen because pressure prevents the algae from growing into the slot junction.

While there may be some truth to slowing of the flow, the solution is to ever so slightly widen the slot, or block the light at the junction.

I know that SM runs a herbie and I has no issues. The problem I'm going to have is that the system will be 3 1.5" pipes and a Mag 18 w/1.5" return to a plenum, so I'm going to have massive flow back to the screen (probably in excess of 1200 GPH, maybe as high as 1400) and the current scrubber slot is only 20" long.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1160096...36620884152882

Got my sump finished this week with 1/2" cast scrap. Good enough for me!

I went with herbie siphon and trickle overflow. It will connect to an acrylic box like Glass-Holes but wider and shallower to have a trickle side and siphon side.

Banned

What is this picture of? It totally confuses me. I looked through the rest of them and this doesn't make much sense. Will this function as oriented in the picture? Seems like it's very small, not much room for error in water volume in the system.

It is OK, It's not clear because it is in parts. It's 24 x 22 x 12 and About 25 gallons. Rug makes it look more retangle.

Back is herbie over flow that needs (2) 1.5" nipples slightly below baffle.
    RIght forward side is return to main pump that will be a screen bar intake.
    Left side hole is to a remote ATS with dc pump on back up. Left side of cabinet will hold it. It will be 24" x 18 not pictured.
    Right side of cabinet will have all electronics.

Gargage will have main pump and chiller only. Main tank is only 150 gal. and sump is small only has to accomodate surface skimmer overflow. I have had very good luck with tunze osmolator so It is smaller than others might make.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information