+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU FEED!!!!

WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU FEED!!!!

Hi,

I keep hearing about all these feeding's but cant figure out exactly what it is. Also i just saw a post that for what it said sounded like you cant keep corals you have to target feed. Does this include frogspawn, and torch and anemones? What is liqued food? I just got through making my own little coral and fish food mixing shrimp, mussels, dried seaweed, bread,flake food, sheachem reef builder and seachem calcium advantage. i froze it all in ziplock bags. Is this okay to feed? or will it hurt my system with my ATS running? I'm lost, please help.

Administrator

Re: WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU FEED!!!!

Without getting too much into feeding here, basically a scrubber allows you to feed much more than you could before. Corals really like liquid foods, since the particles are smaller and are spread throughout the water. And if you have enough coral food in the water, you will not need to target fee. Of course the level of feeding needed will depend on the types of corals you have or want.

The food you made up is really more for fish, because of the big pieces. Put it in a blender for 5 minutes, and then it will be for corals (The anemone, however, can eat both). Later when you add more difficult corals, it will actually be easy to keep them because you have so much food in the water (like the ocean does).

Feeding will not hurt your scrubber at all.

okay thank you santamonica. What is your ratio of oyster to water? also how is the 25 coming along? have you put one up for sale?

Administrator

I put one can of raw oysters, two eggs, and two cans of water in the blender for 5 minutes.

Still working on the 25; am expecting a prototype to be here next week.

canned oysters?? chicken eggs?? is that reef safe?

Administrator

Yes. The egg yolks (lecithan) help keep the oysters in suspension, and the whites are protein.

Quote Originally Posted by SantaMonica
    Yes. The egg yolks (lecithan) help keep the oysters in suspension, and the whites are protein.
    This for real?! What do you mean by suspension? What size/How many oz. is the can? looks like I will need to start feeding heavily... So I am looking for some cheap methods.

Administrator

Lecithan is a thickening agent used in commercial food. It comes in egg yolks, and in soy beans. Since we want a thick liquid which will keep the blended oysters from "separating", and eggs are already thick, they work. You can also buy lecithan and other thickeners www.WillPowder.com .

I'm currently experimenting with Sodium Alginate as a suspension agent, which is what is used in commercial blended reef oyster foods. The commerical ones work great... stays in suspension for over a month... but costs way too much for my amount of feeding. At 48 ml per day, I would need one $40 USD bottle every ten days. And soon when I double the feeding, it would be every five days. Plus, the home-made blend is much thicker than the commercial (and therefore has much more food in it).

What size can?
    How has it been working for you?

i would like to know more been asking about this alot

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information